Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
put the "hitech" V6 in the saturn sky and the pontiac solstice and let them go BMW hunting, leave the Corvette to be the ultimate V8 Muscle car, while you are at it lets see that 5.7-6.0-7.4 grow to 8100 496ci and where is our sidepipes? why do we have to drive 40 year old technology to get a big block & sidepipes?

Why can't they fit the smaller vortec V8, Northstar 4.6, or the LS4 (5.3 that's in the new impala ss)?

Then we'd have a new V8 powered roadster that is fun to drive and cheaper to buy... it would be nice if it had the Corvette name on it then too.

I never had any complaints about the power in my 1987, with it's whopping 240 HP. Most of the time I just cruise anyway. It's nice to see the new Corvette with power of 400+, but at the same time it would also be nice to see

At this point the price of a new corvette is so high that the average buyer is getting older and older... It would be nice to bring back the days of an average American being able to afford one. The thing that keeps Corvette around is sales... If GM doesn't do something to allow younger buyers in they will get to the point of not having a customer base left.

It used to be that 20-somethings were into Corvettes and similar cars... now Corvette actually has a negative connotation with most of this age group... and they are buying cars like the 350Z, sport compacts, or luxury sport coupes like BMW's.

If GM doesn't do something to allow younger buyers in they will get to the point of not having a customer base left.
You are forgetting about the used car market...plenty of C5's out there that are cheap to come by and will still blow the doors of the competition. But you make good points too.

^^^
edit: whoa, talk about timing LOL
now Corvette actually has a negative connotation with most of this age group... and they are buying cars like the 350Z, sport compacts, or luxury sport coupes like BMW's.

I'm 24, and I dont know what people you hang around with, but I'd much rather shoot a $29,000 C5 Z vs. a new Nissan 350Z, or really pretty much anything else.

of course, perhaps I'm different, but I know plenty of people in my age range who appreciate things that actually hold superior performance, the sound of a lopey V8, and the feel of a real sports car. The 350 Z is sporty, sure... as is the Supra, and the Evo's and STi's, and S2000's.... but really, it is night and day between a 'vette and one of those youngster fast and ferious people. sure, there are some impressive japanese cars running out there... but in terms of reliability, usability, drivability, and overall performance, the vette outdoes virtually everything. I wouldn't mind bragging that I own one (not at this time; but perhaps by next summer i have one in my signts)

2 sport cars

I agree with the guy a few replies back that's why I drive a STi and a Vette. LOL.:D

By the way the Corvette never was a young guys car it always was an expensive car to buy.:cry

.......By the way the Corvette never was a young guys car it always was an expensive car to buy.:cry

Yes, it was always expensive (in the context of the times), but, I submit that the average owner's age has gradually gone up over the years.

Back when I bought Heaven, in the fall of '66, and through the rest of the 1960's and the 1970's, many Corvettes were driven by younger "car guys". Somehow, I was able to afford the payments in spite of being young and crazy. :crazy

Now, my impression is (but I've been wrong before) ;) that the Corvette has been moved upscale (intentionally by GM) to the leasing crowd (lawyers, stock brokers, et al) and the retired (or close to it) buyers who have more disposable income, but rarely get grease on their knuckles. The upscale move certainly made sense for GM's bottom line.

67HEAVEN-Wilson-Niblett01-600.jpg

Now, my impression is (but I've been wrong before) ;) that the Corvette has been moved upscale (intentionally by GM) to the leasing crowd (lawyers, stock brokers, et al) and the retired (or close to it) buyers who have more disposable income, but rarely get grease on their knuckles. The upscale move certainly made sense for GM's bottom line.

67HEAVEN-Wilson-Niblett01-600.jpg
[/quote]

I totally agree HEAVEN, and by the way I love this picture. Also I might add I too was wrong once :L but I still think if there is a reference to the CORVETTE name it needs a " I could have had a V-8"

Bill :beer

Paint

Damn 67Heaven, that's one hell of a paint job!:upthumbs

^^^
edit: whoa, talk about timing LOL

I'm 24, and I dont know what people you hang around with, but I'd much rather shoot a $29,000 C5 Z vs. a new Nissan 350Z, or really pretty much anything else.

of course, perhaps I'm different, but I know plenty of people in my age range who appreciate things that actually hold superior performance, the sound of a lopey V8, and the feel of a real sports car. The 350 Z is sporty, sure... as is the Supra, and the Evo's and STi's, and S2000's.... but really, it is night and day between a 'vette and one of those youngster fast and ferious people. sure, there are some impressive japanese cars running out there... but in terms of reliability, usability, drivability, and overall performance, the vette outdoes virtually everything. I wouldn't mind bragging that I own one (not at this time; but perhaps by next summer i have one in my signts)

I'm 26:) I don't disagree with what you are saying (or what evolution is saying)... My point is not what we (as corvette lovers) think, it's what people in our age bracket think in general. I personally would rather buy a used 'Vette over any of these other cars (for many reasons). BUT, our age group really aren't buying corvettes. People our age that are in the approx. 30,000 market range are leaning towards 3 series BMW's, or in the sporty category going for something like a Z, S2000, or Acura RSX. Many of my friends are tired of used cars too, and want a new one (sick of driving beater cars through high school and college, and finally have good jobs so they can afford a nice car with a warrantee). I tried talking a friend of mine into a used Corvette but he really wanted a new car so he wound up buying a Honda Civic SI (and it wasn't cheap).

When people buy a car and like it, they tend to become loyal to that brand and will be more likely to buy another one. By missing out on this younger and cheaper group of buyers, I think they are killing the future of Corvette... Lets see a cheaper 'vette so these people can aspire to get the 'real thing' some day instead of aspiring to buy a high-end car from another manufacturer. My friend that bought the Civic loves it, and it's a good bet that he'll buy another Honda in a few years because of it.

I really think part of GM's problem today is because instead of doing any kind of long term marketing over the past 25 years they have just worried about that particular year/day. Many of the other brands out there (like Honda) aren't building a better car today than GM is, they offer no more value or reliability. But the general concensus is 'it's a honda, it's great' because they have had great long-term marketing. Most people have a hard time understanding that the 1989 Honda Civic that they owned with little or no problems is not a comparison to a fully loaded car of the same year. Of course you had no problems, it had nothing on the car to break!

sorry for the rant... hopefully GM does something right in the future to keep things going:)

When people buy a car and like it, they tend to become loyal to that brand and will be more likely to buy another one. By missing out on this younger and cheaper group of buyers, I think they are killing the future of Corvette... Lets see a cheaper 'vette so these people can aspire to get the 'real thing' some day
Hmmm... I can't argue the logic with the garnering brand loyalty... :upthumbs
Although the part about the "real thing" could be applied to what's already available: Base model -vs- Z06 -vs- "Blue Devil" (TBA) -vs- Supertuner vette.
You're just suggesting throwing in something even more "basic". I can see your reasoning.

Another thing to consider, as your friend may have done when you were talking to him about a used vette versus a new car (Civic...heheheh). What's the TCO between the cars? (Total Cost of Ownership). What's the maintenance on the vette versus the civic? What's the difference in insurance rates between the two cars? These are all things that probably helped your friend choose the Honda. And they are definitely valid reasons, especially when considering a daily driver!

I guess that it could be worse. If gas gets high enough they may make the Vette a HYBRID!!!!:ugh

You're just suggesting throwing in something even more "basic". I can see your reasoning.
On my way into work this morning, I saw some cars that triggered another thought about this topic.
When talking of a more "basic" base Corvette, we essentially already have 'em! The Camaro which already had the title of "The poor man's Corvette". There's the Trans-Am. And now the GTO.

So now I'm thinking, "no, a V6 vette is maybe not such a good idea." What would this do to GM's current line-up I just mentioned? Especially if they plan to re-introduce the camaro?

When people buy a car and like it, they tend to become loyal to that brand and will be more likely to buy another one. By missing out on this younger and cheaper group of buyers, I think they are killing the future of Corvette... Lets see a cheaper 'vette so these people can aspire to get the 'real thing' some day

Aren't Corvette sales the highest they have ever been with both the C5 and C6 generations at $45k? Doesn't seem to be killing the future.

I also totally agree with Evolution that the Firebird/Camaro/GTO fill the "cheaper Corvette" market. No reason for a lower end 'vette.

I would go along with this thinking as well.

also totally agree with Evolution that the Firebird/Camaro/GTO fill the "cheaper Corvette" market. No reason for a lower end 'vette.
Bill

Looks like GM is using the same logic IBM tried a few years ago with the PCjr. That venture failed for IBM and a Corvettejr will probably fail for GM as well. A Corvette should have a V-8 and have seats for two.

The Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice are already reality. Why would GM add another very similar car to the line?

Im 22 and my interest in vettes has only been around for about 16 months; i finally bought one at the end of september... i wont be buying anymore gifts for myself for quite some time :)

I used to prefer european cars for some time. My friends would always say "Dude, look at that Vette, awesome" and so on. I always thought it was a rather average car, until i started reading up about it and i slowly became interested. Superb engineering, specifically (it seems to me) in later models and great looks is what brought me to the Vette, im happy i didnt end up buying something else. That doesnt mean ive given up my ultimate dream of owning a Lamborhini of some kind, but i dont think i could ever sell my vette even if i was graduating to something exotic. Im sure a vette is far more reliable than anything Ferrari/Porsche can conjure up, and more importantly just as performing.

More on topic, im rather undecided. Im definately decided on what the name should be, and i know it should NOT be "Stingray". What a ridiculous idea. V-6... go for it, but it couldnt be a Stingray in my book even with a fancy plastic logo and adds proclaiming some BS "the legend is back" taglines. Im not a huge fan of the Stingray myself, but as a more or less dispassionate observer i could easily sympathise with the NO crowd.

-I own a Stingray.
-Awesome, what year?
-Oh.................. Errrr... how about that Solstice!

You catch the drift. If Chev/GM can apply the same engineering they did on the C5, this new car would be fantastic; I just can't see it called a Stingray, it's just wrong. MAYBE if it was a roaring V8 with old-style lines, i might be able to take a new Stingray. (at 22, im not exactly part of the older vette crowd, i guess i wouldnt be scandalised). From the concept art im seeing though, id expect it to look like a Boxster before remotely resembling a Stingray.

Call it a Manta Ray if you want, but associating it with the Vette would be wrong.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom