Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
Did it help or hurt the Camaro to have small engines in them? What is the purpose of spending all the money on the frame and transmission/rearend if you are going to put a V6 in it. So, you use lighter less technically advanced parts and materials in the V6 Vette. What do you end up with..... you know the answer to that. It will be less of a Vette. Maybe a Che vette. Hope not

Maybe a Cheap-Vette but give me the real thing with a V-8

This has been an interesting and long lived thread. But seriously, the Vette can be only what it is unless it goes the way of the TBird (or is that Do Do bird). I think the value of my '65 327 and '06 Z06 would go thru the roof if a lessor engine was in a new version of the marque. but I wouldn't buy one.........:puke

You guys have made some good observations about brand dilution and I think Chevy is painfully aware of that. However, a 270 HP V6 in a mid engined two seater would have the same power to weight ratio as my C5. And, I repeat, so as not to dilute the Corvette brand call it a Chaparral (it's a "c" word with some Chevy history).

Lot of good points here well taken for sure; but I say again give me the V-8, nothing else should be in a Corvette; unless it was an original 53, 54, and I think that was it wasn't it? I was thinking 55 was the first year for the V-8, correct me if I am wrong :confused If they want a V-6 or even a 4 cylinder maybe GM needs to revive the Corvair-ette. :L It's been a while since the roll over problems and with todays technolgy that is not even an issue; maybe even make this a mid-engine or change it to a front engine model; the VW Bug did it.

Just my 2 cents worth for what's worth and maybe nothing!

Bill :w

V6 Corvette ?

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953? Rob

I thought GM already has a little engine Corvette (style) car with the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice. Yuk!

I only want a V8 in a Corvette ..... the bigger the better. 600hp BB all aluminum in a 2700lb. car for about $40k, that should do it !

Fred
Ohio

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953? Rob

I thought GM already has a little engine Corvette (style) car with the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice. Yuk!

I only want a V8 in a Corvette ..... the bigger the better. 600hp BB all aluminum in a 2700lb. car for about $40k, that should do it !

Fred
Ohio

:beerI agree with Fred! Lets see if it goes kinda like this:

I have the choice of receiving a vehicle, at the mimimum mind you!...with 400 horsepower, on a chassis perfectly balanced and tuned out with a transmission at the rear (and get this, a vehicle only weighing in at 3200 pounds), starting at a price most foreign pop tart POS's with fart can exhaust (and a few domestic) with only a 4 and 6 cylinder. :chuckle

The shape? No other car is more recognizable...no matter the 'generation'...than our beloved Corvette! It says alot when a 4 or 5 year old can recognize the car and no other! To see those little eyes pop open as you pass by is such a treat! :rotfl

To boot, be able to compete, if not beat, most foreign (and some domestic) exotic V8 and V10's at a pretty close to base sticker MSRP of about $42,000 and not $400,000. Send me to that dealership anytime! And make mine a Corvette! :upthumbs

Again V-8 only. . . . . . . . . . .

Last week Time magazine had a list of the 50 worst cars in history.
The 1980 305 California emissions Corvette was on that list.
It flopped because it was severely underpowered, unlike it's 350 coumterpart.
Imagine what a flop a V6 Vette would be in the American market. It might just be the death nell for the Corvette.
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

It was good for the first two years, why not..........................

Because the Corvette almost died in those first two years.
Thank god Zora talked GM into a V8

Look what happened to Ford and the remake of the T-Bird, Now if they had put a V8 in that car it would have been something.

I agee and again I must say; I COULD HAVE HAD A V-8 Make mine a V-8 for sure!

Actually, Ford's new thunderbird had a V8.
3.8 Liter with 280 hp and 286 ft lb.
It cost $40,000 and weighed 3,700 pounds.
It was underpowered.
For the same cost, you could have gotten a Corvette.

I am not against a V6 corvette, as long as the V8 does not go away.
I miss all of the engine options that used to exist.

Don't forget, that the Corvette was born with a 235 cubic inch straight 6 and exposed headlights. I consider a 1953 corvette to be just as much a corvette as a 1967 tri-power.

Would everyone be as upset if GM was considering adding a V-10 or a V-12 option and generating 850 hp?

Northstar V12

How about a Northstar V12 from that Cadillac show car?

It was underpowered.

I am not against a V6 corvette, as long as the V8 does not go away.
I miss all of the engine options that used to exist.

Don't forget, that the Corvette was born with a 235 cubic inch straight 6 and exposed headlights. I consider a 1953 corvette to be just as much a corvette as a 1967 tri-power.

Would everyone be as upset if GM was considering adding a V-10 or a V-12 option and generating 850 hp?

It was underpowered.

Wups... My mistake, ;shrug
The last info that I had on the Thunderbird (Not being a Ford guy) was when they showed the concept car at the Oshkosh Airventure show in 98 or 99. The Ford representative at the time said that it was only going to be offered with a V6 automatic. No V8, We of course tried to convince them of the error of their ways. It might be that lots of other people did the same as and for once they listened.

It's no problem. Personally i think the thunderbird was too big and underpowered. The trunk was 2 feet too long.

That is my fear about a V6 Corvette. Any "slow" corvette would give the rest a bad reputation. If they could get a V6 to perform the way the base V8 does (and be about $8k less), boost the base V8 to the Z06, and boost the Z06 to something I can't even imagine, then I would be very happy.

It isn't just what they do, it is how well they do it.

That is my fear about a V6 Corvette. Any "slow" corvette would give the rest a bad reputation.

My sentiments exactly.
I remember the bad reputations some of the manufacturers got when they were putting underpowered engines in some of the muscle car bodies in the 70’s.
Like putting a 318 Auto in a Cuda (Can you say wimp-mobile) :bash

Still make mine a V-8

Well i voted NO cause i couldnt find the, HELL NO, option. id say sure put a v6 in that car just dont call it a corvette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom