Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0602_chevrolet_kappa_sting_ray/index.html

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?
God, I really hope not. It would take so much away from what the built up reputation of what the Vette is suppose to be, A true American sports car with muscle. I dont want a Vette to compete with the rice burners, I want it to eat em.

With a 240hp V6, 6-speed, RWD this little "Chevy Solstice" would make an interesting car. Put a turbo on it and boost it up to 300hp and it would be VERY fun to drive.

But IT'S NOT A CORVETTE! It should not be referenced in the same category. They are two completely different platforms. So keep the naming separate.

MHO

Still would have more power then the late 70's and early 80's Corvettes. If it has Corvette badging on it,it is a Corvette. It is not the customer, fans, or others that determine what is or is not a Corvette, it is the Manufacturer. As much as we may like it or hate it, it is the way it is.

Still would have more power then the late 70's and early 80's Corvettes. If it has Corvette badging on it,it is a Corvette. It is not the customer, fans, or others that determine what is or is not a Corvette, it is the Manufacturer. As much as we may like it or hate it, it is the way it is.

We'll decide what's a Corvette when we decide whether or not to buy it.

Fred

1954 Corvair

We don't want a corvair having a 4 cylinder either the first corvair had a blue flame six in it too.:eek:hnoes

No likey myself!!!

I could get over the fact that it was a V6 easier than the fact that it doesn't even start to resemble a true sting-ray. At the very least, if they need to soil the name, try to give it a bit of a believable "retro" look.

I've long hoped this thread would die but it won't so....

I'd like to try and skew it, at least, in a more relavant direction.

Take a look at what's happening our in Europe with diesels in passenger vehicles. Because the European Union has different exhaust emissions standards for diesels than does the United States for diesel-powered passenger cars, the development of true, high-performance cars powered by turbocharged diesels is at hand in the E.U.

So, forget a V6 Vette.

How about a turbo diesel V8 in a 2015 Corvette which makes 400hp and 650 lb./ft torque while getting 15-20% better fuel economy than does an 08?

I've long hoped this thread would die but it won't so....

I'd like to try and skew it, at least, in a more relavant direction.

Take a look at what's happening our in Europe with diesels in passenger vehicles. Because the European Union has different exhaust emissions standards for diesels than does the United States for diesel-powered passenger cars, the development of true, high-performance cars powered by turbocharged diesels is at hand in the E.U.

So, forget a V6 Vette.

How about a turbo diesel V8 in a 2015 Corvette which makes 400hp and 650 lb./ft torque while getting 15-20% better fuel economy than does an 08?
Along those lines and likely skewing this thread even further, let's not forget the diesel that won recently won LeMans! Here's just one of many articles / writeups.

I would rather see a diesel than a V-6, just not sure I could stand to see a Corvette smoke and the rear facia & tail lights covered :puke with an oil film. But again lesser of the two evils :bash

Just my opinion, no letters or calls please, :eek:hnoes

Bill :w

Just my opinion, no letters or calls please, :eek:hnoes
As a Moderator of these forums I have the obligation to inform you that based on your repeated comments in this thread that you are now on DOUBLE Secret Probation! :L

GM is devoleping the 3.6L Homogenious Compression Direct Injection engines and 372 hp is possible. Not only less weight but less components from emissions. Could be a very quick V6.

As a Moderator of these forums I have the obligation to inform you that based on your repeated comments in this thread that you are now on DOUBLE Secret Probation! :L

A promotion would be nice General and I think I deserve one :beer and I will drink to that :W and again :beer, once more :beer

Thanks,
Bill ;LOL

GM is devoleping the 3.6L Homogenious Compression Direct Injection engines and 372 hp is possible. Not only less weight but less components from emissions. Could be a very quick V6.

Developing?

GM has already gone to production with a 3.6L direct injection V8. It's in the Cadillac CTS.

Developing?

GM has already gone to production with a 3.6L direct injection V8. It's in the Cadillac CTS.
The CTS still has spark plugs,ign. coil, like any gas engine but the Homogeneous Compression Direct Injection engines wont have any of that and more HP & Torque. Probably wont be out until 2010 or later. Basically a gas/diesel.

Will it smoke like a diesel? Will it be turbo or naturally aspirated?

Just curious, and I think this may be my last comment on this thread since I got promoted. . . . . . . .

Bill

No turbo and no smoke but it will be in the C7 Vett in 2010. Just about every engine line will be HCDI for the good economy and clean emissions.

Diesels don't seem to smoke any more, witness the MB BlueTec. Smell but no smoke. Make your hands stink when you refuel, but no smoke. Theres' another technology out there which used uric acid to further break down NOx. So, here's the drill: fill your tank with low sulphur diesel fuel. Then, guess what you do into the tank? Have a couple of beers first, or better, hot tea with lemon.

I said I was not going to comment anymore but I can't hep it, do what ;shrug in the tank? Does it make any difference what kind of :beer? Be right back got to make a pit stop ;LOL

I've hoped this V6 Corvette thread would die, too!

If you're looking to read "the latest and greatest" on upcoming Corvettes, I'm doing my best to post any and all hot breaking news at CorvetteBlog. I have two links, one for the 2009 ZR1:

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2009-corvette-zr1-blue-devil.html

And one for the 2013 C7 (Pray it doesn't take any longer!):

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2013-corvette-c7.html

By the way, I'll be at the North American International Automobile Show in January taking photos of, and drooling over, the ZR1 at the press conference.

Thanks, Bill at CorvetteBlog

I've hoped this V6 Corvette thread would die, too!

If you're looking to read "the latest and greatest" on upcoming Corvettes, I'm doing my best to post any and all hot breaking news at CorvetteBlog. I have two links, one for the 2009 ZR1:

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2009-corvette-zr1-blue-devil.html

And one for the 2013 C7 (Pray it doesn't take any longer!):

http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives/cat-2013-corvette-c7.html

By the way, I'll be at the North American International Automobile Show in January taking photos of, and drooling over, the ZR1 at the press conference.

Thanks, Bill at CorvetteBlog

Very interesting; it's a rough job :drool: but someone has to do it right? I would think as long as this thread is still of some interest to the membership it will go on or run out of gas at some point.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom