Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smooth air "coupler" installed today and a question

C

Corvettedude95

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to share something with you.

I ordered an air foil to put "in" the Throttle body, so I was taking the air couplers (I think that's what these are called) off and the rear coupler was warped/damaged. I guess the previous owner or someone didn't put it back on properly, so I assume the heat warped it. Any-who, I ordered one of these "smooth" rear air couplers (Mid America Motorworks), installed the sensors back into the new coupler and took it down the road. HOLY CRAP. This car runs better than I thought.

Some of you may not know, but this is the first Vette I've owned and only the second I've ever rode/drove in. So, just gauging by the "seat of the pants" dyno, I'm IMPRESSED with the way this "300hp 350 runs".

I do have a question however. Standing on the drivers side, looking at the engine, the small "grey elbow" sensors Wire (not sure what it's called) thingy was resting on the pulley. I pulled it up and moved it away from the pulley. It has worn almost all the way through the wire and I'm not sure where it goes. What is this for? It snapped into the air coupler and the wire goes down under the engine; I assume.

To make a short story great, I'm not sure if moving the wire and adding the smooth air coupler made the car run that much better...but it sure did feel like it. Just wanted to share this just in case someone is thinking about ordering the smooth air couplers (hoses). I'm seriously thinking about ordering the front coupler to see if that makes even more of a difference in performance.

I ordered an air foil to put "in" the Throttle body,

so I was taking the air couplers (I think that's what these are called) off and the rear coupler was warped/damaged. I guess the previous owner or someone didn't put it back on properly, so I assume the heat warped it. Any-who, I ordered one of these "smooth" rear air couplers (Mid America Motorworks), installed the sensors back into the new coupler and took it down the road. HOLY CRAP. This car runs better than I thought.

Some of you may not know, but this is the first Vette I've owned and only the second I've ever rode/drove in. So, just gauging by the "seat of the pants" dyno, I'm IMPRESSED with the way this "300hp 350 runs".

Let me be the first to thank you for stimulating the economy with worthless purchases. It should run faster with a lighter wallet you carry.

With the SOTP dyno, the more you spend, the faster it goes and the better it feels. Unless you have an air leak or are taking it down the track, I am not sure how much it helps. I had an SLP air box that robbed the car of 20 HP vs no filter. Verified on a dyno. That thing went from in front of the left wheel, up a little across and back. IIRC, many have found that cutting the sluts off the airbox will yield better results.

You're welcome and I don't carry a Wallet. As far as my purchase, maybe I will be as cool as you one day and can write all my mod's in my signature line?

You're welcome and I don't carry a Wallet.

As far as my purchase, maybe I will be as cool as you one day and can write all my mod's in my signature line?

Metaphorical wallet then.

Should always write your mods in the signature line so that people know what you are working with. Still, those airfoils are about as good as Extenze or Enzyte. Talks a good game. Stimulates the economy but does little for the money.

BTW, friend of mine did install a 58mm TB on his stock vette. Up to X HP the ad said. He even felt it went faster. Took it to the track and made several runs with it and with the stock unit. Strange thing. Dr Feelgood and his larger TB didn't do as well as the stock unit.

Not to be acerbic but I DO look down on SOTP results. I have seen way too many kids that claimed maga HP based on parts put on but cannot be verified by the REAL dyno although the SOTP dyno made claims.

When without a dyno, the best guess I use is the wife dyno. I ask if she can feel anything different and have her describe it to me. When Lingenfelter tuned my motor years ago, she didn't know what it was or what it was supposed to do but she felt better with it. Strapped it on a dyno and it was verified.

Why do you think that the "Placebo Effect" is a big thing to eliminate on research?

You're welcome and I don't carry a Wallet. As far as my purchase, maybe I will be as cool as you one day and can write all my mod's in my signature line?
Just remember Dude, if you feel the air coupler and the foil made a difference than that's great. And also keep in mind that when you talk Corvette's to some folks your talking Penus's and some need to have the fastest. Just my .02. C-ya

Appears to be a pee in the corn flakes day for some folks. We all need to be free to post whatever we did to modify our cars without being "called out" by the so-called experts. BTW - SOTP dynos are what many gearheads use, and we all know they aren't always accurate.:D

Appears to be a pee in the corn flakes day for some folks.

We all need to be free to post whatever we did to modify our cars without being "called out" by the so-called experts.

BTW - SOTP dynos are what many gearheads use, and we all know they aren't always accurate.:D

Wife put me on a diet so I don't get corn flakes or breakfast.

I'm sure there is a nice way to tell you "go to hell" and look forward to the trip. Wife's ex boss really knew how to do that but alas, I never learned that. Had I mastered that skill, I'd be running for office. Called it as I saw it. A waste of money. If someone can show me dyno graphs of vehicles with it and without it and "with" gave you increases throughout the curve and not just at 1 spot, I'll be happy to retract what I said.

I realize that. On the diesel forums, many claim too that some snake oil makes the vehicle "feel" better. I don't see the test results just supposition and good hope. IF the "placebo effect" could be removed, SOTP dyno would be somewhat reliable as a gauge of something. I use the wife as a check since she doesn't understand what I did and is LESS susceptible to the "placebo effect" but for real numbers, I want a real test that doesn't involve perception that can be tainted.

Not taking a side...but IMHO the "air-foil" is the biggest rip-off since ENRON. Smooth air couplers might be of limited help at WOT when the throttle plates are'nt the obstruction. Whats it matter how well air flows across the surface of a coupler
(BTW there is such a thing as "boundry layer dynamics"..scientific crap) when it (air flow) has to stop at the butterflys...and creep past whatever opening is there....where the change in air pressure from this slow down is aka vacuum.

Airfoils can/will crack and pieces get jammed in the butterflys ...sumthin to think about. Thats the good part...what chunks get past get to destroy the intake valve...a piston..maybe even a cylinder. Airfoils in the throttle body air-stream are like sticking a cyanide capsule between your teeth and going for a jog. They are dangerous besides a rip off. These slick marketing claims are supported by dyno results (test) that the mfg did with their own modified engine (on a stand, not in a car) under controlled conditions never to be duplicated in an actual car. Sticking a 58mm t-body on a stock engine is like adding a 4bbl carb to a V6. It can only use the air that it displaces and manages to drag in thru vac...all that extra air just reduces vac and slows the flow...thus ruining the engines efficiency.More marketing hype...(BS).

If someone were to spend the money on 1/2 the marketing BS thats out there for Corvettes and add up the "HP gains"...5 here, 12 there etc, they would likely be in the 500 hp range for less than $1000 spent on bolt on parts. The lighter wallet syndrome. Of course its faster 'cause after spending a small fortune nobodys gonna admit they threw their money away on JUNK.

I've done it. Everyones done it. Most have learned and moved on to a machine shop and real parts. I did...cost me near $10,000 to get real improvements and a reliable engine.
These junk dealers stay in business because of new owners and slick marketing.

The above post is for educational purposes only.:thumb

Let me be the first to thank you for stimulating the economy with worthless purchases. It should run faster with a lighter wallet you carry.

With the SOTP dyno, the more you spend, the faster it goes and the better it feels. Unless you have an air leak or are taking it down the track, I am not sure how much it helps. I had an SLP air box that robbed the car of 20 HP vs no filter. Verified on a dyno. That thing went from in front of the left wheel, up a little across and back. IIRC, many have found that cutting the sluts off the airbox will yield better results.
Your smartass response was uncalled for.

With the SOTP dyno, the more you spend, the faster it goes and the better it feels. Unless you have an air leak or are taking it down the track, I am not sure how much it helps. I had an SLP air box that robbed the car of 20 HP vs no filter. Verified on a dyno. That thing went from in front of the left wheel, up a little across and back. IIRC,many have found that cutting the sluts off the airbox will yield better results.

I am rather fond of my sluts and plan on leaving them where they lay..... :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle ;)

Air foil is worth a few extra ponies (see dyno run conducted by TPIS the inventor of the air foil on a TPI L98). I have never seen a dyno test on a smooth induction tube vs. stock. Not sure how much our engines twist at WOT that may require some degree of flex. Not interested in the getting into a debate on the performance value of adding 5 HP in the upper RPM ranges. :chuckle
AirFoil.jpg

Hp

I'm with Boomdriver on this one. Those nickle/dime add ons don't really do any good. If you want more horses it's going to cost $$$$. I spent a lot of money to get mine where it is now. The only cheap mods that might help a little is the open air lid and replacing that accordian duct leading into the throttle body. After a few years of use and wide open throttle that duct will collapse when you get on it.

Its all a learning experience. I remember when the air foils were included in the box for free when you bought a K&N Air filter. Anything in the air intake area of a C4, 5 & 6 Corvette is fair game now for a heavy Corvette tax and equally heavy claimed improvements.

I dont worry how other people spend their money.

Air foil is worth a few extra ponies (see dyno run conducted by TPIS the inventor of the air foil on a TPI L98). I have never seen a dyno test on a smooth induction tube vs. stock. Not sure how much our engines twist at WOT that may require some degree of flex. Not interested in the getting into a debate on the performance value of adding 5 HP in the upper RPM ranges. :chuckle
View attachment 5742

If someone can show me dyno graphs of vehicles with it and without it and "with" gave you increases throughout the curve and not just at 1 spot, I'll be happy to retract what I said.

Very well, I'll retract that part where I said the foil was garbage, as promised

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to share something with you.

I ordered an air foil to put "in" the Throttle body, so I was taking the air couplers (I think that's what these are called) off and the rear coupler was warped/damaged. I guess the previous owner or someone didn't put it back on properly, so I assume the heat warped it. Any-who, I ordered one of these "smooth" rear air couplers (Mid America Motorworks), installed the sensors back into the new coupler and took it down the road. HOLY CRAP. This car runs better than I thought.

I do have a question however. Standing on the drivers side, looking at the engine, the small "grey elbow" sensors Wire (not sure what it's called) thingy was resting on the pulley. I pulled it up and moved it away from the pulley. It has worn almost all the way through the wire and I'm not sure where it goes. What is this for? It snapped into the air coupler and the wire goes down under the engine; I assume.

To make a short story great, I'm not sure if moving the wire and adding the smooth air coupler made the car run that much better...but it sure did feel like it. Just wanted to share this just in case someone is thinking about ordering the smooth air couplers (hoses). I'm seriously thinking about ordering the front coupler to see if that makes even more of a difference in performance.
I doubt anyone has notice that Corvettedude95 no longer appears as a member I doubt if some of you care :eyerole I just wanted to point out that mean spirited responses have consequences. They effect the person they are directed at and allow the rest of us to peer a little bit into the posters persona.

After going back and reading Corvettedude95 original post I don't see anywhere in the thread where he CLAIMS the "Smooth Air Coupler" increase anything. He even goes so far to state
"I'm not sure if moving the wire and adding the smooth air coupler made the car run that much better...but it sure did feel like it."

Corvettedude95 also states his excitement and having the dream car a Corvette, it is his first one and he said he was very impressed by the way the "300hp 350 runs"..

I hope Corvettedude95 doesn't judge the entire Corvette Community from this thread!! Hopefully he still feels the excitement, thrill of the go pedal down his "300hp 350" never leaves him...

I'm just say'n :eyerole

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator
Amarillo, TX

I am rather fond of my sluts and plan on leaving them where they lay..... :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle ;)

SLUTS?!
Finally, a post about sluts!

I have a lot of respect for sluts because they are true amateurs in pursuit of sport....as opposed to prostitutes who are simply greedy capitalists.
Oh....this is really a thread about "airfoils"?;LOL

Don't waste your money. Those little fairings which go into the throttle body of an L98, LT1 or LT4 offer little performance enhancement to stock or near stock engines. Now...in an engine that's highly modified such that air flow thought he TB is greatly increased, they might make a difference. Of course, once you have the engine mod'ed to that point, you're going to go to a TB with larger bores rather than adding an "airfoil".

As for Rob's opinion that "aklim's" reply was smartass....well...with due respect to our Site Administrator, I disagree. The post was flippant, no doubt, but it also was accurate in its assessment of "airfoils" and a "SOTP dyno" . In fact, studies have shown that most drivers need to have 10% improvement in engine output before the results of a change can be felt in the "seat of the pants." While it is true that some perceptive drivers who test the same car often, might be capable of feeling 5%, even then, at a 300 hp baseline for a stock LT1, you'd have to see at least 15 horsepower difference for the most sensitive driver to "feel" the difference.

15 hp from a stock LT1 due to one of those "airfoils"?

Not.

Its all a learning experience. I remember when the air foils were included in the box for free when you bought a K&N Air filter. Anything in the air intake area of a C4, 5 & 6 Corvette is fair game now for a heavy Corvette tax and equally heavy claimed improvements.

I dont worry how other people spend their money.
Totally agree Warren. Key words: learning experience.

To a couple of you that have made the dumbass remarks in this thread....you've been about as helpful as a pile of loose shit. Rather than slamming another member for the mods they choose, or making smartass remarks about their mods of choice, why don't you use a little couth and explain to them why you THINK their choice of mods might not work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom