Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So...how many of us take our Vetts out if it is raining?

Hey I finally got the Vette washed today and the cover on it; looks like the season is pretty much over here :cry

So I will try not to drive you all too nuts from with drawal :eek:hnoes

Bill :w

My 2004 is my daily driver, so it goes out in the rain... so far it hasn't melted...:eyerole

It does not go out AT ALL in the snow however...and not when there's any salt on the road....

Rain didn't used to be a major concern until the installation of the VARARAM induction system on my C-5 and now I'm so paranoid that I will have a hydro lock problem that I would probably avoid driving in any substantial rain or snow storm even if I was on a road trip.

Besides, if you live in the Denver area you are completely out of your mind if you drive anything you value on the streets in the winter months. They use 3/8" pea gravel for sand, tons of salt and worst of all Magnasium Chloride that eats aluminum and ruins wheels and finish. Windshields last an average of 16 months. Just don't do it. Oh yes, did I also mention the chuck holes that pop up after every storm..... why the hell do I live here?

why the hell do I live here?

Sheesh- the guy wins a Veraram at Cruisefest and becomes paranoid. ;LOL

We live in Colorado because it has beautiful summers, incredible vistas and no humidity. And this is before we start talking about all the great twisty roads to take our Vettes out and let them play.
:)

-Patrick

We live in Colorado because it has beautiful summers, incredible vistas and no humidity. And this is before we start talking about all the great twisty roads to take our Vettes out and let them play.
:)

-Patrick
We have all that in North Carolina and More!! Without all the Snow!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie :upthumbs

Sure I drive in the rain. If I didn't, there would only be 100 days of the year I could be out on the road. I call them "My free car wash days".:)

We have all that in North Carolina and More!! Without all the Snow!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie :upthumbs

But you don't have mountains that take you up winding roads 10,000 feet above sea level.

:D

-Patrick

But you don't have mountains that take you up winding roads 10,000 feet above sea level.

:D

-Patrick

10,000 feet above sea level? You're practically starving your poor Corvette for air! What kind of a monster are you?!? ;)

Yes, I drive it in the rain. In fact, the first day and half of my high performance driving education classes were in the rain at Summit Raceway. How unnerving is driving 100mph+ with a sheet of water on the track? :D BTW, GS-D3's are fantastic tires and handles the wet as well as the dry. Wonder how they will handle snow?

Leon

I have been to North Carolina and you do have more, more humidity.;LOLAnd I am not sure that I ever saw any "mountains", Colorado has MOUNTAINS.

10,000 feet above sea level? You're practically starving your poor Corvette for air! What kind of a monster are you?!? ;)

Yes, I drive it in the rain. In fact, the first day and half of my high performance driving education classes were in the rain at Summit Raceway. How unnerving is driving 100mph+ with a sheet of water on the track? :D BTW, GS-D3's are fantastic tires and handles the wet as well as the dry. Wonder how they will handle snow?

Leon

I agree with Patrick (I usually do), the Colorado mountains are great for vettes. I love living at altitude 8600' and both the C4 and C5 do very well Took the 02 coupe over Independence Pass last September and it performed like a champ it is, even though the elevation was 10,000 feet. I also agree with CO Geezer on driving in the winter in Colorado - Denver area (I don't do it). When I watched them install the vararam at Corvette Center on Geezer's vette, I was envious. But if he worries about the rain, then I am wondering if he wishes that he wasn't the winner of the drawing. I was going to drive the C4 into work this morning, but when i opened the garage door, it was snowing again (Remo's annual topic), so I took the truck. Friday will probably be the vette day. Put the O2 into storage last Friday and the hard top on the C4 convertible. Storage for the C4 is approaching fast.
Barrett

Up until a few months ago mine was my daily driver.
Even though it is now more of a garage queen, I am not afraid of getting her wet (boats are also made of fiberglass).

The only reason i bought a 2nd car was so that I could give the Corvette the mechanical attention it deserves (i bought one that needed some work).

Enjoy the drive!

I agree with Patrick (I usually do), the Colorado mountains are great for vettes. I love living at altitude 8600' and both the C4 and C5 do very well Took the 02 coupe over Independence Pass last September and it performed like a champ it is, even though the elevation was 10,000 feet. I also agree with CO Geezer on driving in the winter in Colorado - Denver area (I don't do it). When I watched them install the vararam at Corvette Center on Geezer's vette, I was envious. But if he worries about the rain, then I am wondering if he wishes that he wasn't the winner of the drawing. I was going to drive the C4 into work this morning, but when i opened the garage door, it was snowing again (Remo's annual topic), so I took the truck. Friday will probably be the vette day. Put the O2 into storage last Friday and the hard top on the C4 convertible. Storage for the C4 is approaching fast.
Barrett

Hey Patrick and All.... Don't get me wrong, I love the Vararam and hell, I'm like every other Car nut who loves the loud exhausts, performance enhancements, etc. but when Rik at Corvette Center was demonstrating how the intake would suck up shop rags, etc. after his installation it kind of looked like I have some sort of shop vac in the engine compartment so it just seemed like leaves light snow, etc. might clog the filter. I did install some Z06 intake screens so I'm not quite as paranoid as I was.

But hey, Thanks to the Cruisefest, the price was right, at this elevation we need all the air we can get, the install looks great and as long as I stay off the Metro Denver streets in the winter I can still enter a car show once in awhile.

But seriously, have any of you ever driven roads in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas.... who needs mountains.

Rain didn't used to be a major concern until the installation of the VARARAM induction system on my C-5 and now I'm so paranoid that I will have a hydro lock problem that I would probably avoid driving in any substantial rain or snow storm even if I was on a road trip.

I have had a VaraRam for about three years. I have driven it through some profound cloudbursts. I was somewhat concerned about puddle splashes from cars in adjoining lanes, but I have not had trouble. The documented cases of hydrolock that I have seen involved driving into a deep puddle, placing the intakes below the water line.

Thanks DRTH VTR for encouragement on the Vararam. I was told this newer design also has some openings around the new modified inlets that were included, which will allow better water drainage so I'm sure reasonable driving percautions will keep hydrolock problems at bay. Now that I think about it, if I really wanted to make sure the car never got damaged, I'd let someone else do the driving...duh.

Hey Patrick and All.... Don't get me wrong, I love the Vararam and hell, I'm like every other Car nut who loves the loud exhausts, performance enhancements, etc. but when Rik at Corvette Center was demonstrating how the intake would suck up shop rags, etc. after his installation it kind of looked like I have some sort of shop vac in the engine compartment so it just seemed like leaves light snow, etc. might clog the filter. I did install some Z06 intake screens so I'm not quite as paranoid as I was.

But hey, Thanks to the Cruisefest, the price was right, at this elevation we need all the air we can get, the install looks great and as long as I stay off the Metro Denver streets in the winter I can still enter a car show once in awhile.

But seriously, have any of you ever driven roads in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas.... who needs mountains.

When I lived in KC, Mo in the 60s, I was a member of the corvette club (CCKC). One of our annual cruises was to the Ozarks, both in Arkansas and Southeast Missouri. The roads were fun to drive, but IMHO they do not match the mountain roads here in Colorado, but they are very enjoyable.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom