Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! There is Something Not Right With My Gail, but I Cannot Figure It Out...yet...:)

I ordered from Dr. Rebuild the radiator support seals, the air dam seals, a GM lower hose, and a GM upper hose.

I am on a quest to make her run cool...:cool:cool:cool :D

GerryLP:cool

When you overheated with the correct pressure cap did you find the expansion tank full but the level in the radiator low? This might indicate an air leak in the line between the radiator and expansion tank.

When you overheated with the correct pressure cap did you find the expansion tank full but the level in the radiator low? This might indicate an air leak in the line between the radiator and expansion tank.

Yes, John. It would dump the majority of the fluid into the bottle.

I can't visualize how would an air leak on the overflow hose would cause the cap to dump the fluid when hot.

I mean, the overflow bottle cap does not seem to be very high tech or a sealing type. Wouldn't I see some sort of fluid leak as well at the line (and on the garage floor)? :confused

6880 Mike said:
The spring keeps the lower hose from collapsing. Replacement hoses should have the spring.

Yes, Mike. I remember that my Vette had one, but I have gone to the many average auto parts store, and no spring.

But I explained to the folks in Dr. Rebuild that my Vette does have the HD radiator, and I ordered the GM original hose to make sure I get the spring....so we'll see. ;)

Yes, John. It would dump the majority of the fluid into the bottle.

I can't visualize how would an air leak on the overflow hose would cause the cap to dump the fluid when hot.

I mean, the overflow bottle cap does not seem to be very high tech or a sealing type. Wouldn't I see some sort of fluid leak as well at the line (and on the garage floor)? :confused

I learned this the hard way about 18 years ago.

Most of the time there is no coolant in the overflow hose to leak out. Coolant only flows from the radiator to the bottle when the pressure in the system is higher than the rating of the cap. The coolant is basically boiling when it exceeds the cap pressure so it passes through the overflow hose as steam and condenses in the reservoir. When the temperature is lower the volume of the coolant is low and the system should suck fluid back from the reservoir into the radiator.

A small hole in the overflow hose can make the system one way. When the pressure is high coolant is expelled from the cap and may or may not result in a noticeable leakage of fluid. When the fluid level in the radiator is low it sucks air through the hole rather than coolant from the reservoir. Therefore, you end up overheating due to low coolant.

I learned this the hard way about 18 years ago.

Most of the time there is no coolant in the overflow hose to leak out. Coolant only flows from the radiator to the bottle when the pressure in the system is higher than the rating of the cap. The coolant is basically boiling when it exceeds the cap pressure so it passes through the overflow hose as steam and condenses in the reservoir. When the temperature is lower the volume of the coolant is low and the system should suck fluid back from the reservoir into the radiator.

A small hole in the overflow hose can make the system one way. When the pressure is high coolant is expelled from the cap and may or may not result in a noticeable leakage of fluid. When the fluid level in the radiator is low it sucks air through the hole rather than coolant from the reservoir. Therefore, you end up overheating due to low coolant.

I see what you mean now, John. And it makes sense.

I will inspect the overflow hose as well. The bottle itself will over fill when the radiator cap would dump the fluid towards it, and I could tell because of the anti-freeze smell that would make it's way into the Vette, but I imagine that some made it out from the bottle.

Thanks for the tip.

GerryLP :cool

I replaced the lower hose, and it felt almost like bubble gum the soft the rubber was. But now with the temperatures climbing to only a high of 70 degrees, I guess I won't be able to truly test her heat tolerating capabilities until next summer, but now that she has that spring in the lower hose, she should stay cool. :upthumbs

GerryLP :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom