Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Trunk Lid Liner keeps falling off

Kimmers

Corvette
2000 Bright Yellow Convertable and 2000 Black Coup
I have this great trunk lid liner that was initially installed using velcro industral strength tape but as the summer approaches and the heat and humidity increases, the tape just won't hold it any longer. Any suggestions on how to keep the liner on permanently? :thanks:

Last edited:
I have this great trunk lid liner that was initially installed using velcro industral strength tape but as the summer approaches and the heat and humidity increases, the tape just won't hold it any longer. Any suggestions on how to keep the liner on permanently? :thanks:

No one but me has the problem? :confused

I used a a couple screws to secure mine. Give me a day or so and I will take a couple pics of the screws I used and how it turned out. I literally wont be able to get to it til prolly Saturday.

You could probably use a little contact cement to hold the tape to the lid. If you want to "undo" the liner at some point down the road, then all you have is some contact adhesive to remove from those spots.

I got my liner from CarMotorsports, they don't use velcro, they use what they call "industrial hook and loop" I've never had a problem with it in 4 years. Another idea I had was to use four of the button retainers that hold the underhood insulator in place and drill four holes into the x-brace in the trunk lid which I believe to be hollow.

Not sure if I'll have any luck posting pics with this thread, but I'll try. Here is the step by step solution that I did. The screws I used were about 15cts each at Bomgaars. Or go to TSC, Orshelns, any place like that. They are black and alraedy have the washer attached to them. They worked really nice

1. Using lipstick, I put a generous dab/spot on the bottom side of the trunk lid where I wanted my screw hole to be.

2. I held up my lid liner, and pressed it firmly against the areas where the lipstick was, thus making a mark on the backside of the lid liner (marking where the screws holes will be)

3. Using a light tester (because they are pointy and sharp), I made a pilot hole in the lid liner, pushing from the BACK SIDE coming thru the carpeted side.

4 I then screwed a screw about 1/2 way thru the pilot hole from the carpeted side as they will be when mounted. pushing the screw gently in to the trunk lid, gave me confirmation of where the screw was actually going to be. I did this with all 4 screws.

5. Seeing where the screws made an indent in to the fiberglass trunk lid, using the light tester again, I made a pilot hole in the truck lid for each of the screws.

6. With the 4 screws 1/4 way thru the carpeted liner, I held it up, and one by one, gently screwed them in to the truck lid. And only snug as to not over tighten. The trunk lid seemed to be REALLY soft fiberglass.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the delay. Now to try to add some pics.

2013-06-22_00-21-56_354a.jpg2013-06-22_00-26-15_762a.jpg

Last edited:
Securing the trunk lid liner suggestions

Not sure if I'll have any luck posting pics with this thread, but I'll try. Here is the step by step solution that I did. The screws I used were about 15cts each at Bomgaars. Or go to TSC, Orshelns, any place like that. They are black and alraedy have the washer attached to them. They worked really nice

1. Using lipstick, I put a generous dab/spot on the bottom side of the trunk lid where I wanted my screw hole to be.

2. I held up my lid liner, and pressed it firmly against the areas where the lipstick was, thus making a mark on the backside of the lid liner (marking where the screws holes will be)

3. Using a light tester (because they are pointy and sharp), I made a pilot hole in the lid liner, pushing from the BACK SIDE coming thru the carpeted side.

4 I then screwed a screw about 1/2 way thru the pilot hole from the carpeted side as they will be when mounted. pushing the screw gently in to the trunk lid, gave me confirmation of where the screw was actually going to be. I did this with all 4 screws.

5. Seeing where the screws made an indent in to the fiberglass trunk lid, using the light tester again, I made a pilot hole in the truck lid for each of the screws.

6. With the 4 screws 1/4 way thru the carpeted liner, I held it up, and one by one, gently screwed them in to the truck lid. And only snug as to not over tighten. The trunk lid seemed to be REALLY soft fiberglass.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the delay. Now to try to add some pics.

View attachment 14377View attachment 14378

Thanks BoDuke. You're very clever in using lipstick for pilot marks and I like the idea of the black screws w/washers. Obviously, you screwed the liner into the x-brace in the trunk lid but how do you keep the sides from drooping? ;)

Hey there Kimmers,

The lid liner I have is from Corvette Mods for $80 (item Id 1185). The whole piece is made light enough, but yet of sturdy enough material that there is no droop at all. With the sturdiness of the backing material (I think its cardboard), I don't anticipate it to ever change its form. :thumb

Mine came with the Velcro strips and padded spacer things, but the padded spacer wouldn't stick to the trunk lid even though I prepped it with lil alcohol pads, and the velcro strips wouldn't stick to the cardboard backing of the lid liner.

:beer

Hey there Kimmers,

The lid liner I have is from Corvette Mods for $80 (item Id 1185). The whole piece is made light enough, but yet of sturdy enough material that there is no droop at all. With the sturdiness of the backing material (I think its cardboard), I don't anticipate it to ever change its form. :thumb

Mine came with the Velcro strips and padded spacer things, but the padded spacer wouldn't stick to the trunk lid even though I prepped it with lil alcohol pads, and the velcro strips wouldn't stick to the cardboard backing of the lid liner.

:beer

Yep, have the same lid liner. I tried all of the strips and padded spacers too but the heat/humidity during the FL summer months merely melts it off so I was looking for an alternative - which you provided. I will try it. Thanks again! :v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom