Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vette struck by lightning

Thanks, junkie

Does not look good for me but it happens the be better than most in this area. I hope for the best considering that's not very many complaints when compared to the volume of business they do. I've heard good about them as well.

I'll keep everyone up to date on the latest happenings.

So, when the adjuster does get to the dealership (the right one) they are going to be looking at a car with very little visible damage, (only exhaust damage, and some wiring and connecter melting) and no error codes in the computer. The mechanic was able to start the car but it still runs poorly; and in my opinion will most likely only get worse.

I talked to the insurance company and they want me to wait to move the car to a "specialty shop".

I would get very familiar with chap. 33 of the West Virginia Code. For example: they can't tell you where or where not to get the repairs done.http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/codes/33/wvc33-6d-1.html:

§33-6D-1. Required use of particular companies or locations providing automobile glass replacement or repair services or products prohibited.
"No insurer issuing or renewing in this state any motor vehicle insurance policy, nor any agent or adjuster thereof, may require the insured or any person making a claim under such policy to use a particular company or location to obtain automobile glass replacement or repair services or products insured, in whole or in part, by that policy."

I went through a 3 month battle with State Farm on my Corvette. I had just bought it and was driving it home when I wrecked it. I had to fight them to: 1. Cover the car 2. After they agreed to cover the car (which was no easy victory) they tried to total it 3 times (had to fight with them on the value of the car each time). 3. They knew the parts were discontinued (I didn't know this), so they refused to settle until the body shop had procured and paid for 100% of the parts. The body shop refused to buy the parts (rightfully so) until they received funds from the insurance company- so nothing happened.

Long story short- 3 months of fighting (getting the General Counsel for the KY Dept of Ins. involved, providing them with case law from New Mexico and California refuting their points, providing proof of value of the vehicle, threatening a lawsuit for 4 violations of unfair claims and settlement practices and so on), I got my car fixed. If you want to see pics of it, look at my album on my home page.

I would also get very familiar with the folks at the West Virginia Insurance Commissioner office. The phone number for the Consumer Services dept. is: 800-435-7381. If you don't like what they tell you (I didn't with the peons at KY DOI), go up the ladder.

So, if you need any help dealing with those Morons in Murfreesboro, let me know. Their job is to minimize claims. They do a good job (for themselves) of it, if you let them.

I also had a similar battle with Liberty Mutual over a car my daughter totaled a little over a year ago. Won that one too.

Hang on... You are going to trade an AMERICAN CORVETTE for a japanese gtr? How about a ZR1?

Plus, there are sooooo many problems with the gtr like the required tune ups if you want to keep it under warranty. That is if you can keep it under warranty bc if you have a heavy foot or race it, the black box voids the warranty...

:cool

AMEN! If I'd seen this, I wouldn't have given him any advice! :)

I would get very familiar with chap. 33 of the West Virginia Code. For example: they can't tell you where or where not to get the repairs done.http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/codes/33/wvc33-6d-1.html:

§33-6D-1. Required use of particular companies or locations providing automobile glass replacement or repair services or products prohibited.
"No insurer issuing or renewing in this state any motor vehicle insurance policy, nor any agent or adjuster thereof, may require the insured or any person making a claim under such policy to use a particular company or location to obtain automobile glass replacement or repair services or products insured, in whole or in part, by that policy."

I went through a 3 month battle with State Farm on my Corvette. I had just bought it and was driving it home when I wrecked it. I had to fight them to: 1. Cover the car 2. After they agreed to cover the car (which was no easy victory) they tried to total it 3 times (had to fight with them on the value of the car each time). 3. They knew the parts were discontinued (I didn't know this), so they refused to settle until the body shop had procured and paid for 100% of the parts. The body shop refused to buy the parts (rightfully so) until they received funds from the insurance company- so nothing happened.

Long story short- 3 months of fighting (getting the General Counsel for the KY Dept of Ins. involved, providing them with case law from New Mexico and California refuting their points, providing proof of value of the vehicle, threatening a lawsuit for 4 violations of unfair claims and settlement practices and so on), I got my car fixed. If you want to see pics of it, look at my album on my home page.

I would also get very familiar with the folks at the West Virginia Insurance Commissioner office. The phone number for the Consumer Services dept. is: 800-435-7381. If you don't like what they tell you (I didn't with the peons at KY DOI), go up the ladder.

So, if you need any help dealing with those Morons in Murfreesboro, let me know. Their job is to minimize claims. They do a good job (for themselves) of it, if you let them.

I also had a similar battle with Liberty Mutual over a car my daughter totaled a little over a year ago. Won that one too.

Thanks, dannimo.

I've been doing much of what you suggested already, but you provided me with several new lines of thought to look into also. Thanks, for the offer of help I've never filed a claim for any reason before and may need it.

The Vette is insured in FL the lightning strike just happened to take place in WV. I knew details about none of the shops in this area so, after exhausting my options, I gave the okay to take it to C&O Motors. It is not there yet but I have talked to them several times today and thus far I'm pleased but we'll see if that last.

Thanks, dannimo.

I've been doing much of what you suggested already, but you provided me with several new lines of thought to look into also. Thanks, for the offer of help I've never filed a claim for any reason before and may need it.

The Vette is insured in FL the lightning strike just happened to take place in WV. I knew details about none of the shops in this area so, after exhausting my options, I gave the okay to take it to C&O Motors. It is not there yet but I have talked to them several times today and thus far I'm pleased but we'll see if that last.

Cool, check Fla. law out also. I have a few customers in WV. I will ask around and see about a good shop. Good luck and don't let the insurance company push you around. You may want to consider checking into having the car sent to a shop of your choice- in Florida for example (I hear there is a good one in NC also). I got the distinct impression that the adjuster who looked at my car (even though he couldn't figure out it was a manual transmission- I had to provide the Morons in Murfreesboro a build ticket on the car), wanted to total it and get it for himself... If you need the car transported, I have a buddy who owns a company that does that.

i know of a good body shop! :D Classics By Wes right here in my own back yard lol but we wouldnt dare want to fool with a lighting striken car! lol my 1994 has had enough attitude adjustments to make me have nightmares about working on the entire electrical system of a c4 :eek:hnoes good luck buddy hope everything works out for you :w

Latest update: State farm call to let me know that the diagnostic has been completed but they are not going to get anyone out to see it till at least Wednesday. The shop has not call to say it's done, and I have not been able to reach them.

I wouldn't have ANYTHING less than a FULL VIDEOTAPE of the diags and repair. If I had to shoot vids myself, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Most mechanics don't have a clue what a multimeter is - even the ones that DON'T have a hole in the side of the shoe for the foot-thumb!!!

ape_with_monkey_wrench_hg_clr.gif

57890029.043_CalgaryZoo_0106_CF.jpg

Latest update: State farm call to let me know that the diagnostic has been completed but they are not going to get anyone out to see it till at least Wednesday. The shop has not call to say it's done, and I have not been able to reach them.

perhaps you have been catapulted to another space and time, a space where insurance never gets done , a living limbo of car carnage....
welcome to the allstate zone

perhaps you have been catapulted to another space and time, a space where insurance never gets done , a living limbo of car carnage....
welcome to the allstate zone

Exactly how I feel.

Insurance man is going to look at the car in the next three days for the third time. The shop found very few current electrical issues, insurance adjuster left the shop and they found more as soon as they tried to move the car. So they had to call him back.

Exactly how I feel.

Insurance man is going to look at the car in the next three days for the third time. The shop found very few current electrical issues, insurance adjuster left the shop and they found more as soon as they tried to move the car. So they had to call him back.

I wouldn't begin to repair a car hit by lightening, unless every electrical item including wiring was replaced.
Repair it and the Energizer Bunny will strike, the repairs will just keep going and going and going---------------
I learned this from computers hit by lightening.

Glenn
:w

I wouldn't begin to repair a car hit by lightening, unless every electrical item including wiring was replaced.
Repair it and the Energizer Bunny will strike, the repairs will just keep going and going and going---------------
I learned this from computers hit by lightening.

Glenn

I've had the same experience, with computers. I've also owned cars with smaller electrical problems that I got tired of chasing and sold, with a disclaimer to the new owner.

Most recent word from State Farm:

"We feel that at this time it is to your and our benefit to repair the car both mechanical issues and electrical. That have been seen/witnessed and suspected by the shop and our estimator."

I'm not sure if that is good for me or not but on the other hand..... How can they pay for repairs on suspicion alone?

Does anyone here feel that I should have any confidence in this statement? I'm still trying to find out what is to be repaired (calls every day since last Friday), no one at the shop seems to have any idea what State Farm is asking for, State Farm is waiting on an estaminet from the shop.

Can this ever be a reliable vehicle?

Most recent word from State Farm:

"We feel that at this time it is to your and our benefit to repair the car both mechanical issues and electrical. That have been seen/witnessed and suspected by the shop and our estimator."
Which means,That the estimator has Inspected said vehicle and feels it is repairable and Won't be a thorn in their side at a later date!!:thumb

I'm not sure if that is good for me or not but on the other hand..... How can they pay for repairs on suspicion alone?
They Can't and Won't!! They want to know within reason of what the total repair bill will be!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Does anyone here feel that I should have any confidence in this statement? I'm still trying to find out what is to be repaired (calls every day since last Friday), no one at the shop seems to have any idea what State Farm is asking for, State Farm is waiting on an estaminet from the shop.
Sounds to me like the shop is "Jacking" You and State Farm around!!
I've handled Lots of State Farm and other Major Ins. Co.s Clams and Repairs and it isn't uncommon for a estimator to wait on the total tally to make sure that there won't be any surprises later on!! But from some of your other posts,It seems to me that the shop is finding(Or knew about it, and just didn't tell him,or it really isn't Wrong!) things after he leaves and calls him back hoping he just gets tired of going back and Gives them free rains to really pad the bill!!:thumb:thumb:thumbIt's been over 2 weeks,I'd think by now they would know purdy much what all is wrong with the car!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Can this ever be a reliable vehicle?

Oh,It can be repaired and be reliable!! But the job will only be as good as the shop and it's technicians!!
:thumb:thumb:thumb

I kind of agree w/junkie. The shop seems to be the PIA, not State Farm.

I kind of agree w/junkie. The shop seems to be the PIA, not State Farm.

I agree fully.

I've looked all over for another shop with no luck. I even tried looking here but nothing but recomedations to the corvette fever artical of trustworthy shops but there were none in this area or even within 200 miles for that matter.

Ask them to ship it to Junk. Problem solved. :D

Glenn

I agree fully.

I've looked all over for another shop with no luck. I even tried looking here but nothing but recomedations to the corvette fever artical of trustworthy shops but there were none in this area or even within 200 miles for that matter.

JMHO for what it's worth ..

Find out the cost to ship it to Jesse (gmjunkie) or any shop you want. Transport isn't that expensive, but some companies won't transport non running vehicles ;)

Back a number of years ago, I hauled my 1967 140 miles oneway to have work done on it. Front end crash :eyerole Big thing was I "TRUSTED" the shop I hauled it too and knew it would be done RIGHT which was more important to me than what the insurance company was worried about. AND yes the ins. paid for the repairs, but not the 140 miles to and from the shop.

But I rented a U-Haul trailer and fetched the old girl there myself :Steer

Be firm, it's YOUR CAR and no one cares about your car like YOU DO ;) :dance

Good Luck

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom