Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vette struck by lightning

JMHO for what it's worth ..

Find out the cost to ship it to Jesse (gmjunkie) or any shop you want. Transport isn't that expensive, but some companies won't transport non running vehicles ;)

Jesse where are you?

[/QUOTE]
Back a number of years ago, I hauled my 1967 140 miles oneway to have work done on it. Front end crash :eyerole Big thing was I "TRUSTED" the shop I hauled it too and knew it would be done RIGHT which was more important to me than what the insurance company was worried about. AND yes the ins. paid for the repairs, but not the 140 miles to and from the shop.

But I rented a U-Haul trailer and fetched the old girl there myself :Steer

Be firm, it's YOUR CAR and no one cares about your car like YOU DO ;) :dance

Good Luck

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX[/QUOTE]

I am willing to tow the car I just have no idea where to take it from here with out going all the way to Florida/home.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Jesse where are you?

I am willing to tow the car I just have no idea where to take it from here with out going all the way to Florida/home.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.
I'm about 383 miles from down town Clarksburg WV, in Old Fort NC 28762!:thumb
www.gmjunkie.com
My toll free # is on front page of my web site!:thumb
I've got quite a bit going on right now,and I'm by myself!!
I'm purty particular and the work force around here are a bunch of loosers!!:L

Call,We'll talk!:thumb

Talked to Junkie this morning and he gave me a few ideas and options to think about.

I'm trying to contact the shop today; again.:bash

Then I'll have some to make that I'll get Junkies help with.

Junkie it was a pleasure talking to you and I'll let you know what I find out.

Latest update is that the current shop is going to do all immediate/visible/already started repairs; we'll see how it turns out and then Junkie will get the rest of my business.

Back in 1976, when I was 17 I had my vehicle hit by lightening while I was driving it - what a difference having almost no electronics made! The vehicle was a 1965 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed pickup and I was driving at night in a really bad thunderstorm up in the hills above Rapid City SD (on hwy 16) when suddenly everything lit up at the same instance there was the loudest thunder that I have ever heard. There were three girls in the cab with me (amazing what you can do with a bench seat and a full size vehicle) and three people riding in the bed of the truck huddled under a tarp up against the cab. My immediate concern was for the people in the back. Fortunately they were okay but they said it shot sparks everywhere! The only thing it did to the truck was to completely melt through the co-ax antenna cable right where it was hooked to the antenna - right through the outer rubber covering, inner mesh and the inner plastic and the wire core. But the engine never hesitated; the lights weren't affected and once I replaced the antenna cable the radio (which I think may have even been a tube type since it took a while to worm up) even worked still. Best of luck in getting your car repaired!

I'm about 383 miles from down town Clarksburg WV, in Old Fort NC 28762!

MDKyleZ,

If you are a AAA member, you can have your vehicle towed 100 miles. I think if you are a AAA Plus member, you can have another Plus member (or two), give you their AAA number and use their 100 miles. A guy that works for me had a car hauled that way via AAA 250 mile using his account and a family member's account. Don't take my word for it, as this is here-say on my part. Check with AAA first.

Back in 1976, when I was 17 I had my vehicle hit by lightening while I was driving it - There were three girls in the cab with me (amazing what you can do with a bench seat and a full size vehicle) and three people riding in the bed of the truck huddled under a tarp up against the cab.

That is hilarious :L. Three girls in the cab and you had some poor saps (your buddies I presume) in the bed during a thunderstorm! I love it!!! :rotfl

I also noticed you listed "2005 Suburban 2500, 496 V8, tow vehicle" as one of your vehicles.... sheer genious... That's great...:) I need one of those to haul just my one 'vette when it decides to quit working!:mad

Back in 1976, when I was 17 I had my vehicle hit by lightening while I was driving it - what a difference having almost no electronics made! The vehicle was a 1965 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed pickup and I was driving at night in a really bad thunderstorm up in the hills above Rapid City SD (on hwy 16) when suddenly everything lit up at the same instance there was the loudest thunder that I have ever heard. There were three girls in the cab with me (amazing what you can do with a bench seat and a full size vehicle) and three people riding in the bed of the truck huddled under a tarp up against the cab. My immediate concern was for the people in the back. Fortunately they were okay but they said it shot sparks everywhere! The only thing it did to the truck was to completely melt through the co-ax antenna cable right where it was hooked to the antenna - right through the outer rubber covering, inner mesh and the inner plastic and the wire core. But the engine never hesitated; the lights weren't affected and once I replaced the antenna cable the radio (which I think may have even been a tube type since it took a while to worm up) even worked still. Best of luck in getting your car repaired!

we went to different high schools together:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:W:W:W:W:W:W:W:W:W:W:w

Junkie it was a pleasure talking to you and I'll let you know what I find out.

Sorry I'm Late,Been Busy!!
Anytime,Glad to Help!:thumb

i know of a good body shop! :D Classics By Wes right here in my own back yard lol but we wouldnt dare want to fool with a lighting striken car! lol my 1994 has had enough attitude adjustments to make me have nightmares about working on the entire electrical system of a c4 :eek:hnoes good luck buddy hope everything works out for you :w
Where exactly is Classics By Wes located? How far from DC? Thanks:)

Where exactly is Classics By Wes located? How far from DC? Thanks:)

116 MorningSide CT Ruckersville V.A. if you want to mapquest us, its been awhile since ive been to D.C that place is spooky at night:D have a good one! :w

This is probably the strangest thread I've read on the CAC in a while. While I certainly believe cars (like anything else above ground) can get struck by lightning, this is the first time I''ve read an account of it happening to a Vette.

There is no doubt in my mind that the repair of this car is going to be a challenge because of the potential for widespread damage to the car's electronics and that some of this damage might not be discovered for a while.

I'd like to correct a couple of misconceptions about a lightning strike and much of what I say can be confirmed at various sites around the Internet, one of the most interesting being NOAA's web site.

First, someone said that lighting is relatively low amperage, but that sort of understates the effect. A lightning bolt is about 10-to-the-eighth volts and 200,000 amps.

Also, it was said that the current flow is from ground up...not true. Lightning flows from cloud to cloud or cloud to ground. Now, a nearby object above ground could experience a strike from the ground, but that's because the lighting bolt, struck a grounded object nearby and, for a instant, the electrical potential between ground and the car was high and the energy then jumped to the car, but lightning bolts do not start from ground.

No doubt, if this car was hit from the ground to the underbody, current flow was from the vehicle ground, backwards through the electrical system. No wonder a lot of stuff was fried.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with this car.

This is probably the strangest thread I've read on the CAC in a while. While I certainly believe cars (like anything else above ground) can get struck by lightning, this is the first time I''ve read an account of it happening to a Vette.

There is no doubt in my mind that the repair of this car is going to be a challenge because of the potential for widespread damage to the car's electronics and that some of this damage might not be discovered for a while.

I'd like to correct a couple of misconceptions about a lightning strike and much of what I say can be confirmed at various sites around the Internet, one of the most interesting being NOAA's web site.

First, someone said that lighting is relatively low amperage, but that sort of understates the effect. A lightning bolt is about 10-to-the-eighth volts and 200,000 amps.

Also, it was said that the current flow is from ground up...not true. Lightning flows from cloud to cloud or cloud to ground. Now, a nearby object above ground could experience a strike from the ground, but that's because the lighting bolt, struck a grounded object nearby and, for a instant, the electrical potential between ground and the car was high and the energy then jumped to the car, but lightning bolts do not start from ground.

No doubt, if this car was hit from the ground to the underbody, current flow was from the vehicle ground, backwards through the electrical system. No wonder a lot of stuff was fried.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with this car.

you are in error about where lightning comes from, unless of course national geographic is wrong...they say it comes from the ground up...but you are entitled to your opinion

There are photographed examples of whats called "Streamers" rising from the ground to meet the main lightning bolt, but the main energy is still generated above ground.........

Hard to imagine any electronics surviving a lightning hit.

it's not hard to imagine any insurance company(which are manned by attorneys) agreeing that the car is totaled because of lightning hit..
if you cant prove it they dont care:cool

I talked to State Farm this morning and apparently there is going to be another re-inspection of the car today/afternoon; because something on the shops most recent quote seamed out of line. But there were also several things in the quote that seamed completely plausible as well.

Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Personally, I think you have the patience of Job.....From August until the middle of October and they still haven't determined what to do? What a crock. I do hope that you have a successful end to this journey. I guess driving season is nearly over for a lot of the country anyway.

Good luck dealing with the insurance company.

I talked to State Farm this morning and apparently there is going to be another re-inspection of the car today/afternoon; because something on the shops most recent quote seamed out of line. But there were also several things in the quote that seamed completely plausible as well.

Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Every state has an insurance board that is the governing body over each company..
if you do not receive timely benefits they will order the company to comply or revoke their license...
contact your local via the gov.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom