Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vettes and bikes .. hey norton

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
i seen a few bikes in some pictures with vettes i just picked up a 1972 combat commando 750 1 owner with paper to prove it from a guy at work ..not much on bikes prices its been setting in his garage not running for 10 or 15 years he said he parked it when he got a new bike, the motor turns when you kick it ,,is it worth fixing money wise . needs a battery the master cylinder lecks, so far, i like the way it looks,, as you can tell never had a bike what do you guys think??????????????????;shrug

i seen a few bikes in some pictures with vettes i just picked up a 1972 combat commando 750 1 owner with paper to prove it from a guy at work ..not much on bikes prices its been setting in his garage not running for 10 or 15 years he said he parked it when he got a new bike, the motor turns when you kick it ,,is it worth fixing money wise . needs a battery the master cylinder lecks, so far, i like the way it looks,, as you can tell never had a bike what do you guys think??????????????????;shrug
750 Commando is a beautiful machine, and yeah, I'd say it's well worth fixing.
Is it orange by any chance? One of my all-time favorite bikes, and I absolutely loved that color orange! -Congrats!

750 Commando is a beautiful machine, and yeah, I'd say it's well worth fixing.
Is it orange by any chance? One of my all-time favorite bikes, and I absolutely loved that color orange! -Congrats!
THANKS IT IS BLACK

The first bike I ever had a ride on was a Norton Commando, front wheel off the ground for quite a while.;LOL Yup its a keeper.

72 is coming right up to the end of the ¨classic British bikes¨. It could be a great find. How original is it? Original paint, tank badges, fenders? Does it have disk brakes on both wheels?

Investment wise keeping it stock is your best bet. For rideability make your own wiring harness and use Jap relays, coils, lights, etc. If it were mine I would keep it original. (it does not offend me to work on my bike while others are ridding)

I would replace all of the seals and gaskets in the motor, clean & repack the swing arm bushings and rebuild the forks, steering head & shocks.

The frames were actually well built on the Brit bikes so unless there is some major rust just clean and wax it before you put her back together.

There are several places in the States that stock classic Brit parts but if you have any problems finding something I will be happy to source if for you... I have some serious pull with the Classic Motorcycle Club in the UK since I put the ¨wide case Duc¨ in their care.

The best thing about ridding a Norton is that you get to wear the T-shirt with this message:
I saw a birdie crapping on my Norton
I came out a farting and a snorting
I loured him down with crumbs of bread
and then I crushed his f--king head

When you ride the bike ride it for what it is... do not try to make a modern crouch rocket out of it. It comes from a time when you could ride to the cafe, have a burger with your best girl and then cruise country roads at 60 MPH.

What me nostalgic? I have 10 classic bikes - 6 of which are older than my wife.

72 is coming right up to the end of the ¨classic British bikes¨. It could be a great find. How original is it? Original paint, tank badges, fenders? Does it have disk brakes on both wheels?

Investment wise keeping it stock is your best bet. For rideability make your own wiring harness and use Jap relays, coils, lights, etc. If it were mine I would keep it original. (it does not offend me to work on my bike while others are ridding)

I would replace all of the seals and gaskets in the motor, clean & repack the swing arm bushings and rebuild the forks, steering head & shocks.

The frames were actually well built on the Brit bikes so unless there is some major rust just clean and wax it before you put her back together.

There are several places in the States that stock classic Brit parts but if you have any problems finding something I will be happy to source if for you... I have some serious pull with the Classic Motorcycle Club in the UK since I put the ¨wide case Duc¨ in their care.

The best thing about ridding a Norton is that you get to wear the T-shirt with this message:
I saw a birdie crapping on my Norton
I came out a farting and a snorting
I loured him down with crumbs of bread
and then I crushed his f--king head

When you ride the bike ride it for what it is... do not try to make a modern crouch rocket out of it. It comes from a time when you could ride to the cafe, have a burger with your best girl and then cruise country roads at 60 MPH.

What me nostalgic? I have 10 classic bikes - 6 of which are older than my wife.
YES IT IS ALL ORIGINAL PAINT,TANK, SEAT,FENDERS DOWN TO THE DISC BRAKE ,AND THE WORD LOCKHEED ON SOME BRAKE PARTS

Sounds Good

So let's see some pictures of this bike of old. ;) I had a 71 750 Honda brand new. I changed the rear wheel to a 16 inch Harley, dropped one tooth on the primary sprocket, velocity stacks and Bassini headers and I was 500ths of a second off the National record for C stock. The two bikes that gave me the most trouble were the Norton and the tripple 2 stroke Kawasaki. Still have all the trophies and pictures collecting dust in the basement. Funny, I used to love doing huge smokey burnouts on it too

not sure how to post pictures here plus just got it today. and i put it in garage and covered it and now its snowing i do plan on taking some soon thanks

YES IT IS ALL ORIGINAL PAINT,TANK, SEAT,FENDERS DOWN TO THE DISC BRAKE ,AND THE WORD LOCKHEED ON SOME BRAKE PARTS
You have a real find my friend. I checked with the UK Classic Bike Club. A non runner missing parts like the tank, seat, side covers would bring well over $2K and show quality Commandos go for up to $15000.:upthumbs

Their advice is:
Change to an electronic ignition.
Do not rebuild the shocks - new koni´s are better and not too many $$$.
Change the flasher unit to a Jap one.
Ride!

You have a real find my friend. I checked with the UK Classic Bike Club. A non runner missing parts like the tank, seat, side covers would bring well over $2K and show quality Commandos go for up to $15000.:upthumbs

Their advice is:
Change to an electronic ignition.
Do not rebuild the shocks - new koni´s are better and not too many $$$.
Change the flasher unit to a Jap one.
Ride!
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION

bike

mel016.jpg

ok i dont no how to post a picture it took my daughter about a second ..;LOL ;LOL

Very, very, very nice.:upthumbs

A few weekends with Mother's metal polish and you could show that baby.

In addition to servicing the engine, chain, suspension, etc. you will need to replace the brake pads and tires before trusting your life on it. I buy most of my motorcycle tires here they have most of the sizes for the classics and excellent prices. Send them an email with your requirements - their web pages do not cross reference by bike model so it is time consuming to look for what you need.

Again that is a lovely classic that could be a star in anyone's garage.:w

GAWD! That makes me sick.... I sold my '72 Roadster in '77-'78 for $750.00, a beautiful red Dunstall moddded hotrod with the tiny fuel tank. At least the '72 has the "Isolastic" motor mounts to relieve some of the vibes from that old motor. I have a '65 Atlas Scrambler 750 rigidly mounted on my '58 Indian-Enfield and I buzz for a week after riding it.

You have an ultra-cool bike!!!

Dave

My first motorcycle was a red '73 Commando. Like others, I wish I still had it, despite the Lucas electrics, poor mechanical reliability and the quirky gear shift that's upside down and on the wrong side.

Took me years to get used to a 'regular' shift pattern.:D

I can dig that, I had the Indian-Enfield with the Norton powertrain long before I got the Roadster and the Enfield also had the bassackwards pattern.

I adapted pretty easy 'cause as I remember, a Norton's shifter is on the right....

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom