Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Waitin' for the tow truck blues

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
Just got in my Vette to meet a friend for lunch... and nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, the chimes are working, as well as the radio, gauges, and lights.

But nothing under the hood is coming to life - not even the sound of the starter whirring nor clicking.

Called the tow truck. Called Kevin.
Popcorn, anyone?
Jane Ann

She's Got The Tow Truck Blues

Jane Ann,
Here's hoping it's something minor (like a new battery). Keep us updated.
Remo:cool

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

Hope it is nothing too serious. Keep us posted.

SAVE THE :w

Thanks guys.

I'm sitting here drinking coffee and shooting the breeze with Vern. Kevin is gone to a dealership and Chris is up to his elbows on another car.

Since Chris is the only tech that works on my Corvette, I'll wait.

Update soon. And hopefully it will be a minor issue.

Jane Ann

Just got in my Vette to meet a friend for lunch... and nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, the chimes are working, as well as the radio, gauges, and lights.

But nothing under the hood is coming to life - not even the sound of the starter whirring nor clicking.

Called the tow truck. Called Kevin.
Popcorn, anyone?
Jane Ann
VATS ?????? Didja try a second or third key?
Hope it's a low $ fix!
Andy:pat
:w

Mine did that to me in a $.25 car wash on the way to a Vette Club dinner, :W
on a hunch I reprogrammed the fob and away I went.

(hold lock and unlock until it beeps or something like that)

Gosh, I would think that if you've got accessories, you would at least get a click when you turn the key?

Hope it is just a battery. If it is, you're not alone. I went to get my box of CD's out of ours this weekend, and there wasn't even enough battery power to unlock the doors. The car has been sitting there for at least 2 months :ugh

I had a few choice words when I realized the contortions it takes to get to the manual trunk release from inside the car. Yeah, that one, the one that is easily accessible, once you've got the trunk open ;LOL

Keep us posted.

Tammy

Kevin checked the battery and he said it was okay (he was testing it, and said it SHOULD be reading a 10 but was reading a 9.75) but I had him replace it because it was 5 years old.

They kept my Vette overnight to start on her early. He mentioned that when the battery gets too low... or low voltage can cause the starter to lock up, so he'll look at that. He's also going to look at the wiring harness. :eek:hnoes He said more but to be honest, by the time he was able to report what they'd looked at so far, I had more headache than I ever would have dreamed possible for someone with such few brain cells.

When I know, my CAC friends and family will know. Now I've got to take a look at my warranty contract.

;squint: Jane Ann

When the battery is changed you'll have to reprogram the Fob so you won't know if the Fob could have been the problem, best put new batteries in that also.

When the battery is changed you'll have to reprogram the Fob so you won't know if the Fob could have been the problem, best put new batteries in that also.

I'll add that to the list, Craig. Thanks. I'm also going to order a second key - I only have one. And I need to find that manual trunk release Tammy mentioned also. The list is growing. ;)

BTW - my key fob is less than a year old. I think I bought this one just prior to CruiseFest last year.

:w Jane Ann

Good luck with the fix.Had the same thing happen to me ;called AAA he taped starter with hammer started right up, again good luck with fix.Have family in Baldwyn.

Good luck with the fix.Had the same thing happen to me ;called AAA he taped starter with hammer started right up, again good luck with fix.Have family in Baldwyn.

Thanks Tommy. I've heard of Baldwyn but never been there.

And the hammer on the starter method was one of the things Kevin mentioned they would check. Did you replace your starter? Kevin said the only issue if this was the problem is that it would leave a burn spot on the starter, and that it may crank 20 times or more but then fail again. If this turns out to be the case, I'll likely have him go ahead and replace it. Of course he may recommend replacing it... he's never steered me wrong in the past and I don't expect he'd start now.

I will do the magic chant for you...good luck!
SABU HEYDU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, Jane Ann, any news?
;shrug

I'm still thinking from the descriptions of the symptoms you posted, this is battery related. Even if replacing the battery doesn't completely solve the problem because of the voltage-loss/starter-lock up complication, I'm hoping it will go a long way to solving the problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed for good news... (we need a fingers crossed smiley, don't we?)

:)
-Patrick

Quick reply - waiting on a friend to pick me up to go after my Vette.

I neglected to mention there was water on passenger floorboard, but I had attributed it to a terrible storm wee hours Tuesday a.m. including horizontal rain and tornado warnings.

Kevin said the relay box under the passenger dash was wet and the Anti-theft relay was shorted out. He replaced it and dried the box.

At least it wasn't the wiring harness, which I was very nervous about given past battery leak issues from a couple years ago. I was afraid it had finally caught up with me - if there is such a possibility.

So I'm off to pick her up. New battery, new Anti-theft relay and labor for $260

oopps- gotta go.....

I thought you got this leak fixed a few months back?

Quick reply - waiting on a friend to pick me up to go after my Vette.

I neglected to mention there was water on passenger floorboard, but I had attributed it to a terrible storm wee hours Tuesday a.m. including horizontal rain and tornado warnings.

Kevin said the relay box under the passenger dash was wet and the Anti-theft relay was shorted out. He replaced it and dried the box.

At least it wasn't the wiring harness, which I was very nervous about given past battery leak issues from a couple years ago. I was afraid it had finally caught up with me - if there is such a possibility.

So I'm off to pick her up. New battery, new Anti-theft relay and labor for $260

oopps- gotta go.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom