Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Well Got my 1st Vette 1979 L82

Deadlego

Corvette
1979 Corvette L82 4 spd
Well I just got my 1st vette. Its a 1979 L82 with a 4 spd trans. The car is non numbers matching. The engine is a from a 70 - 73 La built Camaro and the trans is out of a 82 Pontiac..... Its red with mirrored T tops

A little on the engine. The block has a edelbrock carb and intake. It also has aluminum heads on it. Im not sure what other stuff was done to engine. It has headers and a true dual exhaust.

The bad is that the Front passenger caliper leaks. But it still works. I have order a seal kit to try to rebuild it. I dont know if it has a SS lineing or not. I think it might be leaking do to sitting for 1 year. Also I found out the other day that the radiator will need to replace too it has a pin hole leak and sprays all over but does not leak alot of coolant. The T top leaks too. It will need paint but looks ok from 5 to 10 ft away.

The Car cost my $3,000 to buy. So I think I got a good deal still. It runs and drives, I have drove it all weekend. I got the car Friday after noon.

Do you think I got a good deal or did I get ripped off? I will post pictures later.

Let me give you all a little information on my self too. Im a 20 year old College kid. I do auto body work and I can Work on the car my self. Right now Im taking Airframe Maintance at my College.

Welcome to the :CAC

If the frame is solid and there's little to no rust, it's an OK deal. You didn't steal it and you didn't get ripped off either. If it runs good, that's important.
Focus on the mechanical stuff first. "Safety first". Brakes and then radiator.

If you are going to be doing most of the work yourself, you're going to save yourself a lot of money. But still expect that you are going to drop at least $1000-$1500 in to it within the next year.

Getting the T-Top to not leak will probably be futile, so don't be overly concerned about that.

The car runs great. It has alot of power. There looks to be no rust on the frame.

First thing; WELCOME to CAC:w. I think you most likely got a good deal. Even if the Vette turns out to be totally bad the part are worth what you paid for it. Some days you will proable bang your head on the wall and think why did I buy a corvette, when you are trying to find a part or get something fixed, but when you take a drive; and it working you know why.:):):)

I've had 4 C3 and loved & hated them all at the same time. Good Luck and we are here if you need help.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. A good radiator shop can fix your radiator. A bottle of Bar's will also fix it. Sounds like a good buy.

Ok here are some pics. They were all taken at the PO house. I have not taken any at my home. I will get some pics of the frame and some better ones later. Right now I have the car up on a lift and just need bleed the brakes and go pick up the new rad then install.

I found out the calipers were SS lined. So I installed new seal and I hope it dont leak ..... I will see

Ah, for $3,000 not a bad deal. Welcome to CAC. Get yourself a 79 Shop Manual and a Assembly Instruction Manual. You'll need them both if you plan on keeping her and doing the work yourself. Hope your pockets are deep...

Did you get the A/C compressor from the PO?

no ac comp .... do any of know if there a fuse for the heater fan? My heater fan does not work. Where should I start looking 1st to fix it????

DEADLEGo, you need to change your user id to ALIVE-LEGO.
now you know how valuable life is.
1. you bought a Corvette
2. you have joined the CAC gang.
the comradrie is free here, you did not have to join the Army.
what a :upthumbs Bargain.
have fun and enjoy your Vette.

well I have used the name Deadlego for a lot of stuff. Its the main name I use online. Also I have used it for along time with some games i play

I have been enjoying it. This car has power. It will chip in 2 and I chip going to 3rd once. I need to find a dyno and see what the HP is at. Well at least it has new tires on it. :D Well for now any way;LOL :lou

I think you got a good deal, it is in good shape, especially for 3K. I don't worry too much about non-numbers matching. With the way you describe how it runs I am sure it is a blast compared to the stock engine. Wish mine would chirp it like yours when it shifts. Body looks real good, how is the interior?

well the carpets are a brown but I think they were black. The leather in good shape but need to be restiched. The radio has been changed out and the power ant. is broken. Also the clock does not work. I can post up some pics of the inside later.

Nice find for the money. Now get your wallet out :eek:hnoes. It's always worth it as long as it's a vette :thumb

If you like the Vette, and there are no structural issues, then you got a good value. Basically, the value of it is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. So if you thought it was worth $3k, then you got what you wanted.

IMO, $3000 for a running, decent looking vette is not a bad deal.

Having said that, you did buy a C3! So expect to be doing lots of work on it and possibly dumping lots of money into it. But you can do it as you want/need/have time for/have money for, etc. Just enjoy it! Having a Vette at 20 years old is a great thing! Enjoy it and be careful!

Welcome! You'll find lots of help and information here, folks are always ready to help out. $3000, not bad, especially if it runs and you enjoy it! As for your heater problem, if it doesn't work at all, the first place to look is the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side against the firewall. Then, I think some years had an in line fuse to the blower motor (it's on the passenger side kind of under the fender) it might be blown. Another good check is to see if the connection to the fan switch on the console is good. Sometimes that plug can work loose or even come off...

Well it was running but not any more. I had a rod bearing go so Now I need to replace or rebuild the engine.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom