Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

When did GM start using rosette style rivets for the VIN tag?

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
When did GM first start using the "rosette" style rivets to hold the VIN tag in place? I am going to look at a '68 Convertible (427, 4-speed) that is being sold at a local auction tomorrow and want to make sure that the VIN tag is correct. None of the books I have address the VIN tag rivets (thought they seem to address the originality of every other nu, bolt, screw and rivet on the car). I wasn't sure if a '68 would have the "rosette" style rivets or if that started later. Thanks.

Kevin

During C2 production, if memory serves. C3s had them. The problem is that with the windshield post trim correctly installed, you can't see the rivet heads.

:)

Even if the rosette style rivets are in place, this is not a sure fire way to be certain that the car is legit.

The correct rivets are available from several sources in the aftermarket for about $5-10 a pop.

Thanks for the replies - would the rivets be stainless steel and metal colored or black or would they be aluminum? Thanks.

Kevin

may help

Hi kevin go to ebay nos 150110948006, it has excellent pictures of alot of items, regards wayne.

Hi kevin go to ebay nos 150110948006, it has excellent pictures of alot of items, regards wayne.
Thanks. There were a lot of good detialed pictures but I didn't see any of the VIN tag. There was one of the trim tag showing normal round rivets. The '68 that I looked at yesterday had rosette rivets holding the VIN tag, but they were black (with the finish somewhat worn so it looked original) and I thought that they should be unfinished (metal colored) - but I wasn'r sure. Does anybody know what the finish on the rivets should be? Thanks.

Kevin

...The '68 that I looked at yesterday had rosette rivets holding the VIN tag, but they were black (with the finish somewhat worn so it looked original)...

I'm thinking they are also black on my '68, but they also show their age.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom