Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where did the cubes go?

Dad -

Jack did a great job on the numbers - as he mentioned, some rods and/or rod bolt heads need some clearancing depending on their forging profile - all of which needs to be done during trial-fitting, BEFORE balancing.

For a street engine, I think the "light pistons/low-tension rings" hype falls in the same category as the "5.7"-vs.-6" rods" hype; you'd need NASA-level laboratory instrumentation to tell the difference. Using a 400 crank in a 350 block for the 383 and keeping the 5.7" rods, the pin location in the piston only moves up 1/8".

/ johnz... For a street engine, I think the "light pistons/low-tension rings" hype falls in the same category as the "5.7"-vs.-6" rods" hype; you'd need NASA-level laboratory instrumentation to tell the difference.

10-4! I've got about 2 hours in a 5.7" PERFECT, bushed set of cam-clearanced "pink" rods with ARP bolts ... & no more than $75. No skinny rings here ... the usual 5/64". About $160 in a new set of coated hyper pistons that weigh about 550 g ... nuthin special but inline with the project's other components. Same type pistons for a bigger motor???... same price.

As opposed to the 388 project I kind of "fell into" ... If & when I do a purpose-built stroker it'll be well-planned. A 383 or 388 is really a lot of trouble & expense for relatively low yield. I bought good stuff DIRT cheap ... but I could've done same if I'd started with a clear plan to go bigger ... probably could've started with a 400 block & 4" crank (or more) ... and finished with 450 hp for no more than $500-$600 beyond where I'm at now. Notwithstanding, I'm sure I'll like the 388 compared to its tired old L48 configuration ... I'm guessin maybe 370-380 low-stress hp & maybe even more tq ... that is if & when I get off my keaster & finish it!

By the way ... waded through scads of squealin curtain climbers while trying to find clay in Walmarts toy dept ... NOOOOO ... it's in the Crafts dept. Mine came in a packet containg clay in all colors of the rainbow ... isn't that just special I thought ... really glad no one saw me with those prissy hues ... but wouldn't ya know it, no one asked what I was fixin to do with it (I'd loved to have told how it wasn't to be part of this weeks floral show) ... BUT ya know what ... the bright neon shades are really handy ... you can see them much better when deep inside vette innards.
JACK:gap

Jack -

Welcome to the club - my clay comes in a "Clayola" box with a dinosaur on it (from the Crayola folks) - 'course, being the conservative guy I am, mine's #200 Gray :D

Now I know what happened to the dinosaurs. Smashed in a tight place, hey, that don't sound all that bad.:s

Those dinosaurs sure came in handy for propelling the Vette around, eh? ;)

_ken :w

i just finished the 406 small block from hell!! from hell refers to the last two years of my life and several machine shops later. you fellas are talking about referbing old blocks to get bigger cubes and more raw power at lower rpm. if i had it all over to do again, i believe i would get a new small block 400 from pace performance. gm is making a new version of the old rocket block. it has the cam and crank spread farther apart just begging for a nice 4 inch stroker crank. it comes with splayed mains, priority main oiling and siamesed cylinders for a strong durable block and platform to build from. it would not be to hard to make a 454 small block out of this. big block power, small block weight. sounds like the best of both worlds!!! for the price of the new block, you could get your old one referbed, but why? just my thoughts, no intension of twisting anyones feelings and i am sorry if i did. my dyno appointment is thursday the 18th, will try to get some numbers posted along with my built sheet. i hope it may answer some questions that were flying around earlier, as well as the ones i have about the project's completion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom