Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which valve cover gaskets to use?

rilko

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue
Hi ... I need to change valve cover gaskets on my '81. Which gaskets are best? Stick with cork or I understand there are new rubber gaskets available. THANX!

My 82 had the rubber gaskets and they leaked a little bit.
I switched to cork and have not leaked a drop. Although, in a few years when the gasket does go bad (and cork will) it will be a messy job to clean up.

Everyone loves fel-pro gaskets. If they make a valve cover gasket (and i'd bet they do) then I would go with that. I replaced mine before i heard about fel-pro.

Also, with the rubber gaskets, you probably will not need to use an sealant. I bought aftermarket valve covers and they specifically said NOT to use sealant with rubber gaskets. That makes removal a LOT easier than cork with sealant.

Good luck!!

Hi ... I need to change valve cover gaskets on my '81. Which gaskets are best? Stick with cork or I understand there are new rubber gaskets available. THANX!
I myself on a Older Chevy prefer the cork,it's been my experience the rubber ones like to swell and slip out over time!!:upthumbs

Get the plastic Felpro's with the metal insert. It prevents you from crushing the gasket. You seal them onto the valve cover and can take them off repeatedly with no problems. have had them on my car for several years and love them.

You can get them at Summit Racing or any of the other catalogue stores.

I was changing cork valve cover gaskets every couple years on my original aluminum valve covers, they just started to seep around the back of each cover over time. I went with the Fel-Pro prema dry plus and this cured the problem. I see they have changed the outer coating from a high temp silicone (orange) to a blue coating not sure what the new material is made of. Just be prepared to spend around $25.00 for the set, almost triple the price compared to $10.00 for the cork set but like mentioned above they are very well made and reusable.
Brian

both ok, if mounted properly

Hi ive used mostly cork, but like Bob Chadwick says, sealant only to the cover only , this stops any movement later, and alloys for easy removing for servicing, and dont over torque it down when first fitted , then after approx 500 miles torque it down another half turn on each nut or bolt, . wayne.

Yes same gaskets but not what I paid. And NO gasket sealer of any kind.
Not sure if you have any Schucks Auto parts in your area, and I know there are other chain stores that are from the same family. I print out the web page:http://www.partsamerica.com/product...L&MfrPartNumber=VS12869T&PartType=107&PTSet=A and they charge the web price at the store. They only do this if you print out the page. If they have to bring the part in from the warehouse there is no shipping just a day or two out.
Brian

felpro all the way best gaskets made!
p.s. i do not work for them lol

felpro all the way best gaskets made!
p.s. i do not work for them lol

Yes, I agree. I just finished installing a new fel pro rear main seal, new melling oil pump and shaft, and a fel pro oil pan gasket. No problems so far. No more big projects til winter so I think I will change my focus to purely cosmetic like the rear window trim, wheels and bezels. Thanks guy's...;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom