Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window Scratch Repair

R

rifeman

I have two, nearly identical, scratches on my driver's and passenger side windows. The scratches run vertically and they extend nearly for the entire height of the windows. I thought that I might have some pebbles trapped indside the bottom liner, but my roommate told me that the pads that guide the windows when they are moved up and down sometimes wear out and cause metal to come in direct contact with the windows. The scratches aren't that deep, so I was wondering if there was any repair kit/compound that can remove scrathes from glass and also if there is any way to prevent future scrathing from happening.
Thanks,
Chad
patriot.gif

The scratches do in fact come from the outer window felt weather strip. They are riveted and part of the weather strip. You will need to purchase new outer weather strip seals. The felt is part of the seal. As far as the glass scratches, most all of the Corvette parts suppliers sell a glass buffing kit. I never used one myself but if you do a search I am sure you can get some good info on it.

The eastwood co. carries the buffing pad and polish you need but of course fix the wondow first, once you take off the door panel its an easy fix.
www.eastwood.com

For deep scratches the eastwood part # 40030 and part #12843 ( 12843 comes with the 5" orbital sander ) and for hazes and light scratches their part # is 40011. Gave you these #'s in case you can do a search on the site, I got them out of the catalog.

I took off the door trim panel on my passenger side door so I could get a better look into the area where the window sits. I looked along the area where scratches are on the window, and it is obvious that the only area the window touches when it is rolled up and down is the outer and inner weather strips. I think the scratches began to form right at the time I was moving to Texas. I drove in stormy weather for a couple of days. Is it possible that bits of sand and pebble lodged into these weather strips and scratched the glass? There are no scratches on the inside of the windows, and the felt on the inner weather strip still feels good. The outer strip, however, has begun to harden quite a bit. Do I need to replace these, or just make sure they remain clean?

You should dig a little deeper into the door. There is a metal bracket with a felt end that acts as a guide, its down about two inches below the sills and thats usually what makes the scratches or marks on the window although the windiw sill could do it if they were pretty dried and cracked. I noticed you have an 02', im not sure if you have the bracket/guide Im refering to but you may check some of the catalogs, sometimes they have pretty good ilustrations of the inside of the doors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom