Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wrecked my Vette

Another car

Paul,

I am glad to hear no one was hurt but sad to hear the car is a total. Check out the inventory at www.Buyavette.com out of Atlanta for price comparisons they always have a beautiful inventory.

Keep 'em rollin' :W

Bill :w

Yesterday I wrecked my C5. It is totaled. No one hurt.

I am devastated.

Can anyone help with finding another C5 with all the same options?

Jesse? You out there?

Paul
Paul, sorry to hear about the loss of your Corvette, but glad you're ok!

One more thing...

Anyone know why the air bags didn’t deploy?

Genrally, the SIRs deploy only after a frontal impact. From the images, it looks like the heavy impact in your incident was generally from the side. In a collision like that, frontal air bag deployment would not be a bad thing. Now...in a newer car with "side impact" bags, you'd have probably had them deploy. Most people don't even remember them going off because the "bang" of the bag deployment comes almost at the same time as the "bang-crunch" of the wreck. Some don't even remember the big puff of dust. They just come to their senses with the fabric of the bag lying on their lap.

As for the fabric, it is possible that it might abrade your skin, but in an accident which deploys the bag, the abrasions would be a better result than what would happen if you didn't have an SIR.

As for the dust, it's not toxic. It is cornstarch, french chalk, or talcum powder, which are used to lubricate the bag during deployment. It might make you sneeze (which, after a wreck which deploys the bag is a good thing...confirms you're still alive and kicking) but, other than that, there are not bad effects.

Sorry to hear you got into a 3-car wreck. But, you survived. After going through that experience....buy yourself a C6.
:)

As for the dust, it's not toxic. It is cornstarch, french chalk, or talcum powder, which are used to lubricate the bag during deployment. It might make you sneeze (which, after a wreck which deploys the bag is a good thing...confirms you're still alive and kicking) but, other than that, there are not bad effects. :)

Hib, You forgot the explosive gasses of the lead azide, or whatever they are using now to blow the bag up/out.

Paul,

I'm also very sorry to hear about your 2004. As everyone has said, be thankful that no one was hurt.

Check out Corvette Mike's inventory at www.corvettemikenewengland.com. If we don't have what you want, get in touch with me at any time. I can help you find your next one!

Elaine
Cell: 617-872-8252

Wow!

Thank you ALL for your responses.
Thanks for the SIRS explanation Hib.
Elaine, I will keep your number if I need it.
As of today I am still waiting on State Farm.
I hope they have it covered at their yard because it is presently raining and if it is not totaled I will be angry with them. The wreck happened with the top off.

So I hold my breath and wait on State Farm, my credit union for another car loan to replace it if it is totaled.

Been doing a lot of online looking and have not found one with the same RPOs. Mine was maxxed out, every option that can be put on that car was except for the engine. He bought it with an lS1.

C6s are okay but the interior is very sterile compared to my C5.

Thanks to you all. I really appreciate all your help.
:beer

Paul,

I'd be hoping it's a total if I were you. A CarFax would always carry a serious crash on it and might cause a problem if/when you would want to sell. Cars can be replaced, even one that is highly optioned such as yours.

Corvette Mike has an enormous network of Corvette folks. I'm going to see what we can come up with. Will be in touch.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Yeah, I am kinda hopin’ and for the same reason you mention. But then again I was plannin’ on keepin’ it forever.

The Junkster really “learned” me a lot. He said State Farm will total at 80%. He said from all the photos I sent him, many more than I posted here, that in his opinion it will not be totaled. But then again he also said labor is high here in Atlanta so maybe si, maybe no.

I went to your site. My uncle lives right near that dealership! I’m originally from Boston (but I’m okay now). I used to go to the Cape all the time.

They have some nice Vettes. I have your number and will call if I need a Vette, especially if you can locate one.

I will be looking for a C6.

Thanks.

Paul

Elaine, I saw your post through my email but when I clicked on the link to bring me here I can't find it. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. :confused

Anyway, a HUD, that's a deal breaker. Coupe with removable top. Power everything, especially seats, CD, don't need MP3, absolutely under no circumstances will I buy a Vette in this color scheme. Exterior: red, or black. Interior: all red or black. The interior must be a different color. I prefer blue and I like that orange. Blue, I forget the name of the blue but it isn't too light or dark.

I have a longer list but I'll get it to you if and when the time comes.

Thanks.

Paul

The worst part is waiting. I hate holidays...:W

Hib, You forgot the explosive gasses of the lead azide, or whatever they are using now to blow the bag up/out.

Lead azide?
Ouch!
Gnarly stuff, dude.

Lead azide is used in detonators to initiate secondary explosions. It is extreamely unstable. In fact, it must be stored under water in insulated rubber containers. Obviously, it would not be wise to use such a material to inflate the SIR in an automobile.

It is sodium azide and potassium nitrate which react to create the gas that inflates the air bag. The gas is nitrogen which, of course, is non-toxic.

Totaled C-5 Corvette

Ha Guy I know How You feel,but let me tell you that things happen for a reason that we may not know why it happens? but down the road thing will get better! Hope you find even a better vet. :mad

Hey Paul, I just wanted to give you some information on how it really works from an insiders point of view. Anything can be totaled, and anything can be fixed. Autobody shops only make storage fees when a car is totaled. They would rather fix a car. Your car is an easy total. With that said, you could fix it if you wanted, if your body shop agreed to do it. Just have they adjuster write a little under the total value when he comes to the shop. But thats a pain in the ass. Never fall in love with a car. People matter, not cars. I just wanted you to realize that you have way more control over the situation than you think. Talk to the auto body guys. If its on the line, you could have it fixed or totaled. But you need to have a dialogue ongoing and don't let anyone push you around. And you don't have to agree to anything without a fight. I garauntee that if it's totaled they will lowball the hell outta you. I arqued and eventually got $3gs more for mine. I can tell you more in private.

Lead azide?
Ouch!
Gnarly stuff, dude.

Lead azide is used in detonators to initiate secondary explosions. It is extreamely unstable. In fact, it must be stored under water in insulated rubber containers. Obviously, it would not be wise to use such a material to inflate the SIR in an automobile.

It is sodium azide and potassium nitrate which react to create the gas that inflates the air bag. The gas is nitrogen which, of course, is non-toxic.

Concur. Nitrogen is an inert gas and would be the logical choice for a SIR inflation agent. The use of nitrogen would avoid introducing anything combustible or toxic into a situation where fire is a possibility.

Totaled! Ouch!

State Farm totaled it today. But I’ll walk away with $1600 in my pocket. They gave me WAY more than Jesse or I thought they would. So now I shop.

Thanks for all your kind words and support and help.

Paul

Sorry about your vette

But I am glad no one was hurt and you got a good settlement from your insurance company.:w

State Farm totaled it today. But I’ll walk away with $1600 in my pocket. They gave me WAY more than Jesse or I thought they would. So now I shop.
For $1600, couldn't you buy it back and part it out? If "everything else" is in relatively untouched condition, you should easily have more than $1600 in parts there. Heck, you could likely dump the wheels for $500 or so. And then all the various interior pieces? The engine/wiring harnesses? etc...

For $1600, couldn't you buy it back and part it out? If "everything else" is in relatively untouched condition, you should easily have more than $1600 in parts there. Heck, you could likely dump the wheels for $500 or so. And then all the various interior pieces? The engine/wiring harnesses? etc...

I'm guessing that the Insurance paid off his loan and that's what is left over. I am guessing also, that the buy back price would be considerably higher than $1600. Still if someone wants to do the work, they could come out OK on buying it back and parting it out. It's a lot of work, though.

I'm guessing that the Insurance paid off his loan and that's what is left over.
Ahhh, I figured the car was paid off.

not over yet

this may not be over yet as the other people involved have 2 years to file suit. been there had that happen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom