Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
billagroom said:
The aftermarket guys will fix it don't worry. All anyone is going to see is the back plate anyway.
That's a problem because people will have to spend some significant money on that. You would have to get a new front bumper and then have it prime and painted to match. Could you imagine the cost on that?

What the??!!! Thank god TN doesn't require front plates.

Let's see: Get rid of the pop-up headlights to reduce air resistance... Then add this air break... It's a wash!

I have posted this poll on two other sites. You may be interested to know that there are 264 votes objecting to this mount and 5 in favor. 5?! Taste is subjective I guess. Another post maintains that Hill has read the forums and will have the plate mounted in the grill on the right. I have no idea how reliable that post is.

These were also posted:

plategx.jpg

my_c-6.jpg

Ok, I can live with the one in the middle but the one with the plate on the drivers side is just as bad as throwing it on the bumper. I still cant believe they have gone and screwed up a good design by not planning on where to put the plate better than "Drill some holes and slap it on the bumper" Once again! Someone needs to be fired!!!

Rob said:
I don't see what the point is of having a front license plate and in most cases, it looks ugly on a car.
It gives cops another spot to catch a person who has:

A) Stolen a car
B) Commited a crime and the car has been identified.
C) In states that snow, some vehicles go into embankments rear end first
D) A big reflector for laser
E) State Revenue

A,B,C are all viable excuses.

Gross.....

Really gross....

This will not make it as well. They need to rethink it that's for sure. It look just as bad on the side. Come on you can do better for $50K.

LongTimer said:
I have posted this poll on two other sites. You may be interested to know that there are 264 votes objecting to this mount and 5 in favor. 5?! Taste is subjective I guess. Another post maintains that Hill has read the forums and will have the plate mounted in the grill on the right. I have no idea how reliable that post is.

These were also posted:

plategx.jpg

my_c-6.jpg

I'm so glad Michigan doesn't require a front plate.

Zippy :( :(

GM cant be serious. If so, someone email this thread to them.

The car was designed not to have any front plate. Considering half the states in the country require them, that was an arrogant choice, and it probably came from Lutz, who did exactly the same thing with the too-similar Viper, including requiring drilling holes.

The extent to which this is a result of GM's preoccupation with achieving 186 (300km/h) for the Euro mini-market is unclear, but the fact that they chose to mount the plate above the carp mouth and by drilling holes suggests that under some conditions there are either aero (certainly drag and probably lift) and/or cooling issues that will result from blocking any portion of the opening.

Worse, they tried to conceal the mounting issue which inevitably had to surface. Even at the Bash, they initially dodged questions and made jokes about front plate states. They hadn't even planned on showing it there- they had to have one sent in.

Maybe they'll change it; maybe they won't. If they do, they'll trumpet how responsive they are to consumers, not how they screwed up big-time to begin with.

Either way, it makes me wonder if any of them ever bought a Corvette with their own money, and it leaves me with no confidence whatsoever in the division. And if I was in law enforcement, I'd want front plates.

That boggles my mind.....

That is absolutely ridiculous....

If that is real, I am dumbfounded.

I also think front plates should be completely eliminated. I don't see it giving any real advantage to getting someone's plate numbers, or catching a stolen car. And going backwards into a snow bank? Is that really an official reason given? That's preposterous. It's simply just another way for the government to keep an eye on you, and take your money.

We don't have them in Michigan, and life appears to go on.....

What!!!!

They turned down the hand sanded 2 X 6 for that? That was one of the minor reasons why I got a 2004 instead of waiting on the C5.1.

I guess the mule cars were driving around in states where front plates aren't needed.If they were seen with that thing on I'm sure someone would have laughed hard enough to get GM's attention.

I think many (if not all) GM manuf plates are Michigan). No front plate required here.:)

I had an 87 Fiero GT the the Front plate was mounted right in the middle of the rad air intake. I hated it so I mounted it on hinges below the bumper It made the car look totally slammed. At a fairly low speed the wind made it swing back out of the way so It didn't scrape or cause wind resistance. if the cops pulled me over for no front plate it was back down and in full view. BuBBa strikes again

I have posted this same poll in two other large vette forums. I thought that you might like to know that the total vote from all forums is

305 "Must not go into production"
5 "Like the design"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom