Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 coupe Project pics

M

MichelP

Ok Here's a couples of pics of the rust damage on the frame.
Some of the pics are the new frame being prepared. I'm cleaning up the welds and making some gussets to reinforce everything. same time I'll redo the welds. then later on it will be sent to powder coat along with the suspension parts.
I'm thinking about replacing the steering box with a Jeep box so new brackets will have to be made.

View attachment 11348

View attachment 11349

View attachment 11350

View attachment 11351

View attachment 11352

Pics of the diff, rust is so bad the rear of the diff is flaking. Dosn't matter I have a new one. Got a complete roling chassis with suspension and diff. almost all new parts.
Interior is not as bad. nothing is broken and no parts missing. The console is out because I'm preparing to lift the body this week end
the bird cage is not bad at all, both rocker are solid with only surface rust the door post are solid and the windshield posts are rust free. the only rust found around the windshield was coming from the metal inside the upholstery.

Wow.. Thats rusty allright.. :(

You deserve a :upthumbs for bringing this one back from the yard.. :cool

:w
-Stefan

Wow.. Thats rusty allright.. :(

That's actually much better than average for a 'local' Quebec car. Mine was driven year round by the second owner and reduced what was a pristine car (according to the original owner) to something that the third owner (me) had to throw many buckets of money at to bring back. It's an act of devotion to do something like this.

If Mac is around and can link to his frame off pictures, mine was even worse than his!

Here's some photos of the work tonight.
We lifted the body and installed it on the wood dolly.
everything went smoothly and actualy pretty fast.
After inspection, the rockers are in real good shape, only surface rust and theres only one hole near the rear of the helper side that will be reasily repaired the other side has no rust. A bit of media blasting and paint and everything will be fixed. The posts that hold the doors have no rust and from what I can see under the dash the windshield surrending is also rust free. The doors has a bit of rust in the botom but again nothing major.
I.m realy pleased and surprized, I was expecting the worse I guess.
The front of the frame is is good shape but where the rear kick starts it's a mess. My friend is a welder and we are making some gussets to reinforce the new frame, I think we will repair the old one. Humm another project?
Funny thing, When I took the seats out, some critters made a nest under the driver seat with the material from under the carpets. Under the passenger side there was some cracked nuts. Critters had a dining room and a sleeping area. The wife said "Thats it , I'm not getting in that car until it's finished." Guess she dont like critters.

Ok I'm stuck again!!!
Forgot how did I get the pics in there.
I want to put some more but I forgot how!

Right-click on your previously-posted photo, then on "Properties", and that shows the URL where they're hosted; enclose that URL between
in your post and they'll show up.

:beer

WELL BECAUSE! I LIKE MOPARS AND I WANTED TO ADD A TOUCH OF MOPAR IN THE VETTE!
Of course chevy6675 I'm just kidding
The reason is that Jeep has a better box.
By using the jeep box it get rid of the slave cylinder and the rag joint.
More stable and less prone to leak.
I was going to convert the steering to a rack and pinion but a member here Norvil did numerous posts about the change of box and his explainations convinced me.
Also it will be much less expensive.

That's a real interesting project. Be sure to post some pix of the steering box replacement.

Tom

Michel.. You cant link to your PC's folder, you need to either upload it to a website (like tinypic.com or photobucket.com) or upload them as an attachment.. Looking forward to seeing the pics. :)

:w
-Stefan

Yes I know Stephan. Vettehead Mickey explained it to me and (finaly) I got it.
Ill get to this as soon i can
Thanks

Ok let's see if I got this right. Its about time I get it because this thread is suppose to be an car rebuild and not a course on posting pics.
Now lets get to business.
Heres some pix of the engine on a stand and stuff.

P1010019c.JPG

P1010055.JPG

Before anybody ask, "no I didn't use the chain saw to got the engine out"
A friend of mine needed it and I got it out.
P1010049.JPG

P1010020b.JPG

Allright now that the pics thing is out of the way, here's a recap.
1, Body's lifted and on a wood dolly. This went easy thanks to a bunch of football players where my son plays. D-line came in handy and judging by theyre size I'll bet they could've lift the whole car up!

2, I got the engine and tranny out. (used a crane, the O-line didn't want to play with the dirty oil stuff) Engine's on a stand waiting for a clean up and tranny's on the work bench.

As soon it's cleaned the brackets, manifold, carb and other stuff will be taken out and I'll send the engine to the rebuilder. http://www.zekesauto.com/en/index.html
He will take it apart cean it check to make sure theres no cracks in the block and do the required machining and then I'll bring back the engine here and assemble it.
Later, I'll probably have it dyno before the install in the frame.
Here I'm in no rush.

3, I started to dismantle the front suspension. Took the steering assembly and the sway bar out last night. Went pretty easy first the tie rods, the slave cylinder and then the box itself. A lot of things were leaking and the front of the frame was well oiled so apart the sway bar bolts the rest went smoothly.
Next week, I'll take out the rest of the front suspension out and maybe start with the rear.
Well talk later.

P1010044b.JPG

P1010055b.JPG

P1010015c.JPG

WELL BECAUSE! I LIKE MOPARS AND I WANTED TO ADD A TOUCH OF MOPAR IN THE VETTE!
Of course chevy6675 I'm just kidding
The reason is that Jeep has a better box.
By using the jeep box it get rid of the slave cylinder and the rag joint.
More stable and less prone to leak.
I was going to convert the steering to a rack and pinion but a member here Norvil did numerous posts about the change of box and his explainations convinced me.
Also it will be much less expensive.
that was close thought you where going tell me you are putting a hemi in next

Bought the car in march or april. It was a project that someone else started and he was letting it go. I just moved in this area and he was a couples miles away from me.

Always wanted a C3.

I thought about telling you about the hemi....LOL but I know a couples of guys around Montreal that are Vette maniacs and didn't want them to come and throw rocks in my windows. LOL.

Do you think the elephant motor would fit???
Nah! forget about it.

Michel, it is great to see the pics of your progress. We all love a good project around here, it keeps us all excited and wanting to do more to our cars:D

Vettehead Mikey is a great guy and has a lot of 'vette contacts in the Montreal area!

When you take the engine to Zeke's say hi to Doug and /or Claude from me (Brian Hay) I know them well. (My wife does their website)

Take care,
Brian

Cool, I was there friday and will probably talk to Claude sometime next week and take the engine there. They've been around a long time and are good people.
It's about time I get this pics thing. thanks Vettehead.
I will transmit the message.
thanks Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom