Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'96 LT1 dies momentarily 20 mins into commute

SGTiger

Corvette
1996 Silver Convertible
My wife's '96 Collector's Edition Convertible with LT1 stalls momentarily or cuts off completely in the same spot every day on her commute to work and also on her way home. Its always roughly 20 minutes into her 45 minute drive. When it starts skipping, the Service ASR light comes on, and then ASR OFF (or something to that effect) light comes on and then the car runs perfectly the rest of the way of the 45 minute commute. Happens every single day. If she turns off the ASR before starting her trip, it doesn't help. Brake fluid is full. No codes are thrown. Please give this noob some advice.

Last edited:
Sorry to reply so late.
my 93 did the same thing to me, but only once. 20 minutes into my commute home, it shut off so fast I barely got it off the road ( just going 40 mph up hill) I noticed the ASR light doing the same thing. She rode home on a rollback that night. After doing searches on Internet it pointed toward the coil/ICM. It restarted after it cooled off, but I didn't want any repeat performances, so I replaced both, used new thermal paste, and did a spacer trick I learned online. That's been 9 months ago and no issues.

My wife's '96 Collector's Edition Convertible with LT1 stalls momentarily or cuts off completely in the same spot every day on her commute to work and also on her way home. Its always roughly 20 minutes into her 45 minute drive. When it starts skipping, the Service ASR light comes on, and then ASR OFF (or something to that effect) light comes on and then the car runs perfectly the rest of the way of the 45 minute commute. Happens every single day. If she turns off the ASR before starting her trip, it doesn't help. Brake fluid is full. No codes are thrown. Please give this noob some advice.

Update: This problem continued daily up until a week ago when I replaced the Optispark. Problem is gone. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom