Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone NOT run their front plate?

VanityBob said:
Saw a picture of a C5 with plate mounted under, center, somehow. Legible? What distance?

I have seen c5's w/ them bolted to the spoiler - on my c4, it is visible from about 15 ft in front - surely oncoming traffic can read it :m

I did not have it on mine and did get stopped and was issued a "Fix-it" ticket. It had to be signed off by a Law enforcement officer. After that, I did mount it and then put the cover over it. My story will be I was on a club cruse or show and forgot to take it off. 1 minute and a Philips and the cover is off and the plate is showing. It might or might not work, but that's the plan.

So glad you all feel the same as I do! I just went down to the garage and installed the cover over my plate. Thanks for all the response.

Nope! That damn plate bracket was the first thing that came off the car, the second was the stock wheels at 9 miles and replaced with Dayton wire knock-offs.
706729s-med.jpg
:upthumbs

Required here in Europe (in all countries I guess).
I have it under, center, like this... and it's ok. My front plate is also smaller than the rear one...
:beer

Front plate in NV and CA

Recently moved from Calif to Nevada. Have never had a front plate on my 91 in Calif or in Nevada, or on any other car I've owned except I do have a front plate on my daily driver, a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo but below the bumper on a special bracket and on car more because the vanity plate is PTTURBO.

I like corvettecrazy's idea - mount the plate on the front frame and then put the cover on over it. At that point, it is kind of hard to issue a fix-it ticket, because it was "fixed". What happens after the traffic stop is a separate matter.

Here In Calif we are required to have a front plate but I have never ran one on my last two corvettes that I owned. My currant Y2k C5 has the plate under the cover so incase I am stopped I tell the officer that I was showing the car and if he gives me a sec I will whip off the cover and show him my front plate. I was at 28th Corvette Magic Drags at Sacramento Raceway today and out of maybe 50 C5 corvettes only 1 had a front plate :bang

No Plate here in Seattle but it is required, got pulled over once but given a warning told them I don't even know how to get the nose plate off. He said go to the dealer. I just think he wanted to see who was driving the car because he had never seen it on his beat before.:crazy It was 7:30 on a Sunday morning on my way to church, right down the street from my house a few days after I first got the Vette. Seen that same cop a few times and no problems.:Steer

Negative. I live in the good-ol' commonwealth of VA, where officers are just itchin' for a reason to pull you over....oddly enough, they haven't. I used my front plate for about 2 mo. after purchase.....I saw others on the road without theirs so I figured, "what the hell." It looks soooo much better without it. I've been across the intersection from cops....directly behind them and still they haven't said anything.:eek I guess as long as you're not driving like an idiot, they're not going to bother you.;shrug

i don't run a front plate either. but i've been stopped twice. once i got a warning and once the cop wasn't even looking at me when she went by but turned around cause i was a white guy in a bad part of the city checking out some property to buy with a friend and pulled me over to question me. then realized i had a front plate off the car and gave me a ticket. the back up cop asked what i was stopped for and said that was stupid and i wouldn't of stopped you for that. he couldn't do anything about it though so i'm taking it to court!

when i bought my c5 it had no front cover, so i'm kinda forced to use the front plate. when i had the c4 i never used the front plate, just kept it behind the passenger seat.

i'd love to find a painted to cover so i can make the car look right again.

I don't have my front plate on. It will ruin the appearance LOL!

:L ;LOL

Maine requires two, however I never ran the front plate on my 81 and never got stopped. I did however carry it with me just in case, along with a Leatherman to put it on. I have been told though, that if your stopped for speeding say, you will get a ticket in Maine for not having the plate displayed. Kentucky thankfully requires only a rear plate.

Front plate

My father has owned a 2000 since they first came out, and has never put a front plate on it. We havn't been caught yet. We've only seen one or two Corvettes with a front plate in-tact.

:v,
Steve

California front and rear plates here must be on and legible. If the plate is old and has been waxed to the point where it has so little contrast to be unreadable, we can be required to get a replacement. I doubt if other states are different. Few cops would stop a car only for no front plate, I believe. My attitude HAS, however, invited a closer look.

I have been fix-it ticketed, tried the excuse that the car only came with the rear plate and then paid for new ones. Running with the front plate covered is like running with no plate; might even really invite a closer look if Johnny BlueArm is having a bad day.

Is i worth it? Yup. My plate is inside the car.
:smile :w Mike

in California

I live in California, and have 2 corvettes. Don't have front plates, never been stopped. But if I do ever get in that spot, my best friend is a CHP, so go figure.

Don't run my front plates in NJ

Have an 84 vette that I've been running without a front plate since I got it in 10/83.

Also have a chrysler 300M (MY 2000) without the front plate.

So far, I only have one ticket for no plate and on that one I caught a break because I was doing a "few" MPH more then the limit in the vette and a local cop cut me some slack.

IMO if you don't go crazy out there, I think most officers will not hassle you on no front plate.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom