Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone NOT run their front plate?

Texas boy....a week after I bought my vette, I spoke with a San Antonio police officer about not having a front plate... He told me that his policy, and most of the other cops on the force, was that they wouldn't stop someone in vette for not having a plate...but, that if he stopped a vette for another reason, he'd ticket for not having a plate. So, the moral here is to stay clean and you can drive without a plate.

cant you put the plate on the car and then place the cover over the plate, thats what my dad did on both of his c4s, then you dont have to have it inside and just pop the cover off if you get stopped

PA doesn't require a front so no hassle with the C5

putting a plate on the car and then covering up is the same as not having one....at least in my book. Bet the cops think likewise, too....

Full Bull said:
putting a plate on the car and then covering up is the same as not having one....at least in my book. Bet the cops think likewise, too....

yeah but 1 why keep it inside if you are going to carry the thing get it out of the way
2 then if you are stopped you can just pop the front cover off and show the cop that you fixed what he wants done

When I bought mine (used) I did not have the front insert but I would like one, since I agree with folks only seeing me from the back as I whiz by. Where can I get one?

missmoneypenny said:
When I bought mine (used) I did not have the front insert but I would like one, since I agree with folks only seeing me from the back as I whiz by. Where can I get one?

You can surely order one from a dealer, but you might be able to find one in one of the big Corvette catalogs...Ecklers, Mid-America, etc.

Elaine

I have mine under the front edge..on a hinge..at about 30 k/hr it swings up in the air flow,allowing the air through...also hiding it from the speed cameras that we have here...works fine

I ran without a front plate for 4 years on my street Corvette and never got stopped for the plate. Did get a ticket for not making a full stop at a stop sign. The cop never noticed that there was no front plate. I always carried the front plate in the car, in case they ask, "Oops, I forgot to put that back on after the painting work"!!
Go for it, fly low :cool :cool

Well I finally got pulled over for no front plate. The Officer was a nice fellow who said this would be my warning. A ticket for this is $110.00. I am in a small town where the Police see you all the time. I gave up and mounted it on the front. Don't like how it looks, but $110.00 a ticket is too steep to make a point!

Thanks to an aggressive ticket campaign here in NYC, compliments of Mayor Bloomberg, I was ticketed for no front plate a couple of weeks ago, even though I had the plate in the car with me. Ok, bad enough, so I went and purchased the clear front plate cover that maintains the shape of the front bumper while being able to mount the plate. Well yesterday while parked on the street I got a ticket for "Plastic cover on front plate"
Thanks a lot Bloomberg, you no good son of a #$@%& !!!!

GS Diva said:
You can surely order one from a dealer, but you might be able to find one in one of the big Corvette catalogs...Ecklers, Mid-America, etc.

Elaine

The best price I found was at The Last Detail www.tld-corvette.com This was for a new genuine GM part.

I paid $28 for the front cover on my '94. The major expense is getting it painted. Paintdaddy had a good suggestion though. Remove your fuel filler door so the shop can use it to match the color.

Jeff

FRONT PLATE

I watched a guy in our club (Valley Corvettes) get a ticket as we started a group rally. No warning, no 'fixit ticket". I run one because it is not worth the hassle. My car is a daily driver.

missmoneypenny,

check out gmpartsdirect.com. i just bought mine there for $44 which included shipping. much cheaper than ecklers...they wanted sixty-somthing for theirs.

painting it will run you between 40 and 80 bucks.

I don't have a front plate on the Vette. I do carry it in the car just in case. Been driving around lots of areas with road work and lots of police. Most of them just admire the car. It seems if you drive sensibly you will not get stopped for such a petty infraction.

Good luck!!!

I wish it was that easy, just drive sensibly. What are you to do when they ticket you while your parked? I love and hate NY at the same time. I thought they would at least give the fine looking Vette a break now and then. Guess not. Have a great 4th of July and remember, if your in NYC, display your plate.

Sounds like an easy way to raise revenues (fees & fines). Planning a trip to upstate NY. Maybe I will put the front plate on while visiting.
Have a great 4th....

Ny Ha YANKEES SUCK!

Have not been pulled over once or even been yelled at or told to put it on by any officer. Got to love BOSTON!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom