Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: automatic shift ball removal

On my 79 they both just screwed off. it was a little hard to get it off but eventually it did come off. i used a rag and channel locks to get mine off.

Not sure cause I havn't worked on my 81 shifter lately, is it not left hand thread?

shifter knob

Not sure cause I havn't worked on my 81 shifter lately, is it not left hand thread?

i used a rag and channel locks to get mine off. (Same here). They can be difficult to turn but it will come off eventually. I don't remember it being left hand thread unless your sitting on the dash board.

Button Unscrewed easily...

Well ordered the chrome ball and button.....I will post a picture when done. I figure if I break the plastic ball, at least I will not do it untill I have something to replace it with...:0

Remove the push button first and then the ball. Mine weren't very tight but if yours are, use a pair of large vicegrips or pliers that are covered with a rag to protect the knob. If your strong and just can't get a good grip, borrow the wife's Playtex cleaning gloves.
Oh yes, be prepared for the spring under the button, I spent 10 minutes searching for that damned thing when it launched.
Here's a pic if you need reference
008-1.jpg

Its been awhile but i think the knob screws off counter clock wise.

The finnished job...

:beer Gets toasty in the sun...But feels very "musclecar" I love it...:) And I didnt have any spring issues...actually never saw a spring although you can feel it.

c3shifter.jpg

Thanks

On my 79 they both just screwed off. it was a little hard to get it off but eventually it did come off. i used a rag and channel locks to get mine off.

Thank you.
I sprayed some WD40 and I used a rag and channel locks and they both unscrewed easily.

And be sure to GENTLY tighten them when you put them back on. Anything more than "finger tight" is too much.......................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom