Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Can the Under-hood Lights be Temporarily Disconnected?

I have the earlier Vette. Though it only took me 30 seconds to unplug the lights. And if I get stranded at night, I could easily plug them back up. And I don't have to worry about a possible battery drain. The only one I'd have to worry about now is the inside console door light as that also runs off a mercury switch.

If you drive in the rain and down dirty roads, you may find that the wires will not be easy to plug back in as those plugs get filled up with dirt and water and road grime. Then what?

For an early C4, it's better to install a cut-off switch and leave the wires connected.

If you drive in the rain and down dirty roads, you may find that the wires will not be easy to plug back in as those plugs get filled up with dirt and water and road grime. Then what?

For an early C4, it's better to install a cut-off switch and leave the wires connected.

I don't drive in the rain. I don't drive it much anyways. Haha.

I like to check my engine all the time, oil, different thing etc. so on my '93 I pulled the fuse out. For my '85, no fuse, I disconnected the harness and taped the ends with electrical tape. I don't want to worry about those lights being on every time I open the hood.

What tape are you guys using to tape up the ends of the connectors for the underhood lights? I tried using electrical tape, but that wouldn't stick.

I used a yellow tape I had at the time. It sticks to itself more than the part, but as long as it stays in place as a cover of sorts. You can try to look around for some type of plastic cap that you may find off of something like a shampoo bottle, and tack glue it over the connectors. Or if you're lucky you may have a classic junkyard nearby when you are there look for a GM and cut off a connector, probably generic and use that as a cap.

I used a yellow tape I had at the time. It sticks to itself more than the part, but as long as it stays in place as a cover of sorts. You can try to look around for some type of plastic cap that you may find off of something like a shampoo bottle, and tack glue it over the connectors. Or if you're lucky you may have a classic junkyard nearby when you are there look for a GM and cut off a connector, probably generic and use that as a cap.

Do you think it would be needed to cap off the male plug? Or just the female plug?

Yeah, that would be a good idea to get a dummy plug to plug in there. I'll have to look around.

What I might could do for the female, is get a piece of foam and stick in the female plug. I do have some of those black foam brushed I could break a piece off.

Do you think it would be needed to cap off the male plug? Or just the female plug?

Yeah, that would be a good idea to get a dummy plug to plug in there. I'll have to look around.

What I might could do for the female, is get a piece of foam and stick in the female plug. I do have some of those black foam brushed I could break a piece off.

Black foam is ok, but after a while it brakes down into a goo, yucky. Best bet are the plugs for M & F. , if you can find those that would be good. Now I have had the tape there 4 yrs, so far OK.

Underhood Light Disconnect

I saw an underhood light disconnect either on West Coast Corvette or Corvette Central website. This is supposed to allow you to have hood up without light on but, it "may" be something that will also work for what you need.

Underhood lights

I saw an underhood light disconnect either on West Coast Corvette or Corvette Central website. This is supposed to allow you to have hood up without light on but, it "may" be something that will also work for what you need.

I picked up a setup from either Eckler or Corvette Central for my 86. It's 100% plug an play, just unplug the lights and plug it in. There's a push-button switch that will enable or disable the lights. It works well and I didn't have to cut a single wire to put it in.

Under hood lights

With 16 inches of snow on the ground, my car is not leaving the garage anytime soon. One of my winter projects will be cleanup and detailing of the engine bay. I was wondering if there was a simple way to turn off the courtesy lights under the hood which come on when you lift the hood. I know you can disconnect the battery, but I was looking for something easier. I have not done a real thorough search, but maybe I could override the switch that senses the hood is up. Does anyone know where that switch is? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I unplugged mine from the plug in the respective corners of lower front.

I probably unplugged mine quite a few years back. I forgot I had them, really look great with the hoods open but I think there rather useless for other then glancing under the hood at night. I do like the fact they have a harness with a switch so no wire has to altered. I'll have to look that up....

my 91 has no fuse as described. i too have to disconnect the lights via a connector on each side of the nose..

My 91 has the fuse right by the left cornering light, I just pulled the fuse and put the cover back on.

LED Bulbs for Cruise Nights or Car Shows

I changed to LED Bulbs for the underhood lights.

I have had the hood open for 8+ hours without any battery drain issues.

MCC

no hood lights

One of the first things I did on my 1985 Corvette when I bought it in 1992 was remove the bulbs from the hood lights. I am going to look and see if I can find the timer for the interior lights in the passenger side dash and disconnect power to the timer and stop the illumination of all the interior lights when the doors are opened and the light at the spare tire carrier. I would just pull the fuse, but the radio is also uses same fuse.

What a great idea

I changed to LED Bulbs for the underhood lights.

I have had the hood open for 8+ hours without any battery drain issues.

MCC
That's the greatest idea I've heard in a while.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom