Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Check charging system light

Nascardoug

Corvette
2006 Daytona Sunset Orange
I have a Check Charging System light and took in to the dealer. he said that the alternator was pitting out but he could not get the light or code to reset Any help???

Since you are paying for a diagnosis and the dealer is having a problem, have them contact their GM tech line for diagnostic help.

Since you are paying for a diagnosis and the dealer is having a problem, have them contact their GM tech line for diagnostic help.
He said that they recommended replacement of alternator. $1200?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

He said that they recommended replacement of alternator. $1200?

Alternators are the most common problem with a charging system failure, but I thought your original post stated that the alternator tested good. You do need the correct amperage output and type of alternator for that vehicle, if not the PCM will set a code. Alternators are not cheap anymore.

How many miles on the vehicle?

Alternators are the most common problem with a charging system failure, but I thought your original post stated that the alternator tested good. You do need the correct amperage output and type of alternator for that vehicle, if not the PCM will set a code. Alternators are not cheap anymore.

How many miles on the vehicle?
Alternator output checked out...that is what I asked why a new alternator. I think that is what the tech said he wanted to do. I have 60K on her.

Alternator output checked out...that is what I asked why a new alternator. I think that is what the tech said he wanted to do. I have 60K on her.

I would ask the tech what is wrong in the alternator if the output checks out, voltage regulator, etc. Has the tech seen this issue before, alternator working with that message displayed. If you have them replace the alternator, make them guarantee that your original problem will be fixed.

If the vehicle was in the 125K-150K range for miles the alternator brushes can wear out and give an intermittent charge condition, at 60K I wouldn't be worried about the brushes.

I would ask the tech what is wrong in the alternator if the output checks out, voltage regulator, etc. Has the tech seen this issue before, alternator working with that message displayed. If you have them replace the alternator, make them guarantee that your original problem will be fixed.

If the vehicle was in the 125K-150K range for miles the alternator brushes can wear out and give an intermittent charge condition, at 60K I wouldn't be worried about the brushes.
I think I might check for crosion and loose connections, also the sparkplug wire near sensor wire at alternator. I will talk with the tech. Thanks for the help.

"Service Charging system" light

I have a similar "Service Charging System" light issue as noted in other postings. The service charging system light just started showing up about 4 weeks ago. It only comes on when the car is at idle with the AC running and the cooling fans starting up. There has been no new service performed on the car this year. A new battery was installed in the spring. In order to fix the problem a new alternator has been replaced with no positive results. A new battery was also installed with no positive results. The alternator and battery outputs are correct. The horn works. Any known solutions to the problem?

Well, apparently I missed this thread back last month.....Welcome to CAC NascarDoug.........and now to Sammy. :w I guess they didn't say for sure if the problem was fixed or not. Obviously a new Alternator (and battery) didn't fix your problem, Sammy. Hopefully one of our experts will check back into this thread and give you some help.

Well, apparently I missed this thread back last month.....Welcome to CAC NascarDoug.........and now to Sammy. :w I guess they didn't say for sure if the problem was fixed or not. Obviously a new Alternator (and battery) didn't fix your problem, Sammy. Hopefully one of our experts will check back into this thread and give you some help.
I still have the problem with the light coming on. I had alternator checked and it is putting out correctly. Checked connections and it still comes on? The tech said that if he replaced the alternator it would fix the problem? About out of ideas.

I still have the problem with the light coming on. I had alternator checked and it is putting out correctly. Checked connections and it still comes on? The tech said that if he replaced the alternator it would fix the problem? About out of ideas.

I am just curious, if a tech told you a alternator would fix your problem, why haven't you have him install one? Was this a GM dealership tech?

I didn't replace the alternator because he said it was putting out correctly?

Look at my thread.. I just went thru this

The short answer was the stud on the back of the starter was loose!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom