Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
barnetdh said:
I just read that second thread, R94 LT 1 -- wow. That's a dealer who knows how to win customer loyalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Dave
Yeah. Grant it his was only 4 months old but still, they put him in a BRAND NEW car and you know they lost money on that, yet look at all the benefits they'll get from doing the right thing!

barnetdh said:
I just read that second thread, R94 LT 1 -- wow. That's a dealer who knows how to win customer loyalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Dave

Yeah, R94 LT 1, that was surly some thread and it goes to illustrate that while terrible service experiences are retold time and time again, so too are the positive experiences.

From the CF Thread: "Scott Jobe has since gone on to San Jose, CA, where he is starting his own Chevrolet dealership under the heading of Rydell Automotive Group. Rick stepped in and took over without so much as a hiccup.

While mistakes do happen, I encourage all of you to patronize Rydell Automotive Group of Van Nuys, CA, with the confidence that should something tragic happen, like your Corvette falling from the rack, you will be taken care of. And for those of you that live in the San Jose area, look Scott Jobe up. Both Scott and Rick are guys we all can trust."

I'll bet barnetdh and about everyone else in the SF Bay area will be dropping by Scotts new digs. I know I would. :_rock

Tom

John & Donna said:
I would not bet on this..... Allstate just won a huge court case concerning this issue. The court rulled that the insurance companies DO NOT have to pay for "diminished value" on a repaired car.
J&D --

I think there are some exceptions. I found out that it is generally true that insurance company's do not, but there are some guidelines coming out:

"Characteristics – Before submitting a demand for diminished value the following conditions should be ruled out or determined:

-The vehicle has mileage in excess of 100,000 miles

-The loss is for glass damage only; or tire damage only

- The vehicle is a total loss

-The loss is for mechanical damage only

However, if a vehicle is in excellent (or high-dollar luxury/sport vehicles) condition that has over 100,000 miles, further consideration will be given in these cases. "

I found an attorney who specializes in this.

- Dave

I hope you get everything coming to you, however should you indeed have unrecompensed diminished value don't forget that you can at least claim it on your Schedule A next year.

John & Donna said:
I would not bet on this..... Allstate just won a huge court case concerning this issue. The court rulled that the insurance companies DO NOT have to pay for "diminished value" on a repaired car.
Each State is different. Another one of the direct writers lost big on the same issue in Georgia within the last 1 or 2 years.

Keep in mind that diminished value is only an issue on a repaired vehicle. If the goal is to get the vehicle totalled, which I get the impression is the way that barnetdh would like this handled, the only substantive compensation will be the value of a car of like kind and quality.

John & Donna said:
The dealer needs to make this right with you and at least compensate you Blue Book retail value for your car.
The dealer is not viewing this as a total loss. He has offered what he would offer anyone on a trade-in, wholesale, for a car. It doesn't appear that he has reduced the value of the car for diminished value. He plans to sell it on his lot for a profit despite the repairs.

bobchad said:
The dealer is not viewing this as a total loss. He has offered what he would offer anyone on a trade-in, wholesale, for a car. It doesn't appear that he has reduced the value of the car for diminished value. He plans to sell it on his lot for a profit despite the repairs.
The dealer is really trying to make out big. If he gets to fix it, he'll get FULL value from an insurance company for repairs, yet he'll be paying cost and no where near retail labor. He'll be making profit on the repair, profit on the parts he uses to do the repair, profit if he turns around and sells it, all he's seeing is $$$ signs! What he doesn't realize is after threads like these, that $$$ he thinks he's making is turning into $$$$$$$$$$$ lost.

KOPBET said:
I hope you get everything coming to you, however should you indeed have unrecompensed diminished value don't forget that you can at least claim it on your Schedule A next year.
Damn! That's good, KOPBET!

- Dave

bobchad said:
Each State is different. Another one of the direct writers lost big on the same issue in Georgia within the last 1 or 2 years.

Keep in mind that diminished value is only an issue on a repaired vehicle. If the goal is to get the vehicle totalled, which I get the impression is the way that barnetdh would like this handled, the only substantive compensation will be the value of a car of like kind and quality.

Yeah, if it's totaled, I need a replacement, if it's repaired I need a check for the amount of inherent diminished value.

barnetdh said:
Yeah, if it's totaled, I need a replacement, if it's repaired I need a check for the amount of inherent diminished value.
And remember, as mentioned earlier in this thread (but it bears repeating) if you are given a check for the value of the car, you'll have to pay tax, title and license on the next one you buy.

If that isn't a part of the check then you are taking a hit. . .

Best of luck!

Erik

R94 LT 1 said:
The dealer is really trying to make out big. If he gets to fix it, he'll get FULL value from an insurance company for repairs, yet he'll be paying cost and no where near retail labor. He'll be making profit on the repair, profit on the parts he uses to do the repair, profit if he turns around and sells it, all he's seeing is $$$ signs! What he doesn't realize is after threads like these, that $$$ he thinks he's making is turning into $$$$$$$$$$$ lost.
It's all about money, isn't it? Money right now, not the money that could result from tons of loyal customers who come back over and over, and tell their friends about how great their dealer is.

Erik S. Klein said:
And remember, as mentioned earlier in this thread (but it bears repeating) if you are given a check for the value of the car, you'll have to pay tax, title and license on the next one you buy.

If that isn't a part of the check then you are taking a hit. . .

Best of luck!

Erik
Erik - yeah, I know. I already took one hit when my C5 was dumped on the ground. Too bad I don't have a dealer who will make it right.

- Dave

barnetdh said:
It's all about money, isn't it? Money right now, not the money that could result from tons of loyal customers who come back over and over, and tell their friends about how great their dealer is.

The dealer has made an offer, so that would seem he's willing to negotiate. But what about those advocacy groups you mentioned. $$ in you pocket is cheap compaired to the $$ it will cost him to white wash a blemish.

Who was it that coined that famous phrase in another thread: "you can't polish a turd!" ;LOL

Barnetdh,

I think I read somewhere in this thread that you were concerned with the cost of an attorny (they get paid by the hour). I think you are over looking something here.

If you file suit make sure that atty fees are included in damages that you are seeking and this will be a non-issue. Rarely do judges or jurys let defendents that lose go without paying atty fees for the plaintiff.

I think that the only corporation that you are going to get from the dealership is through an atty that you hire.

Just my .02

Trent81

trent81 said:
If you file suit make sure that atty fees are included in damages that you are seeking and this will be a non-issue. Rarely do judges or jurys let defendents that lose go without paying atty fees for the plaintiff.

I have to differ with you. In 22 years of handling litigation for insurance companies I can count on one hand the number of times we have paid the other sides attorneys fees.

Moderators:

I have a suggestion. During this thread I have gotten recommendations on body shops and dealers who I would want to do business with -- the ones who care and make it right. I would hate to see that information get lost, and with the length of this thread, it would diffiuclt to read through everything.

What if we set up a member review and rating of dealer and shops like Amazon.com does with books? There should be a disclaimer, that these are the opinions of members, and in no way reflect the opinions of CAC, etc. so CAC is not in the line of fire.

However this all comes out, I would be glad to rate Stewart Auto after this is done, and sign my name to it. We could have a form to fill out with location and name, and member ratings. That would be a wonderful service. I would definetly look for shops that CAC members recommended, and would want to know if anyone had a problem.

What's everyone think?

barnetdh said:
Moderators:

I have a suggestion. During this thread I have gotten recommendations on body shops and dealers who I would want to do business with -- the ones who care and make it right. I would hate to see that information get lost, and with the length of this thread, it would diffiuclt to read through everything.

What if we set up a member review and rating of dealer and shops like Amazon.com does with books? There should be a disclaimer, that these are the opinions of members, and in no way reflect the opinions of CAC, etc. so CAC is not in the line of fire.

However this all comes out, I would be glad to rate Stewart Auto after this is done, and sign my name to it. We could have a form to fill out with location and name, and member ratings. That would be a wonderful service. I would definetly look for shops that CAC members recommended, and would want to know if anyone had a problem.

What's everyone think?
We've already got a place set up, but not many people use it.

Look in the left hand column:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/portal/

or just click the Portal tab at the top of this page.

A BIG THANK YOU to the Automotive Forums!!!!!!!!

I wish to to thank the various automotive forums that have in addition to Corvette Action Center have been providing support and guidance to barnetdh. There are too many to name. I have seen support from Mustang, Volkswagen, Toyota, Nissan, Camaro, Suburu, Honda-Acura, and Corvetteforum among others!!!! If i missed anyone by all means speak out! I am so happy to see such support from such great car owners. We ALL love our cars and any car owner would be concerned.

I especially want to thank those visitors from other automotive forums that have taken the time to join CAC to speak out. You have all been recognized and I am so glad that all car owners are concerned about this.

Barnetdh-I STILL have a positive outlook on this. I still stand by my original thoughts about StewartCars. They appear to me to be a reputable and dedicated dealership who wants what is best for their customers. Their website says it all. Great facilities, great cars, and great management! This unfortunate incident is something they don't deal with on a daily basis. I am confident that StewartCars will do the right thing and underscore their dedication and commitment to their customers!

Best regards,

the blackvette

Are you really Dr. Phil and just not telling us BV? :L (just kidding! I think you are doing fine)

I'm still wondering what happened to the new pics Dave said he was going to have developed.

Inquiring minds want to know. :w

theblackvette said:
I wish to to thank the various automotive forums that have in addition to Corvette Action Center have been providing support and guidance to barnetdh. There are too many to name. I have seen support from Mustang, Volkswagen, Toyota, Nissan, Camaro, Suburu, Honda-Acura, and Corvetteforum among others!!!! If i missed anyone by all means speak out! I am so happy to see such support from such great car owners. We ALL love our cars and any car owner would be concerned.

I especially want to thank those visitors from other automotive forums that have taken the time to join CAC to speak out. You have all been recognized and I am so glad that all car owners are concerned about this.

Barnetdh-I STILL have a positive outlook on this. I still stand by my original thoughts about StewartCars. They appear to me to be a reputable and dedicated dealership who wants what is best for their customers. Their website says it all. Great facilities, great cars, and great management! This unfortunate incident is something they don't deal with on a daily basis. I am confident that StewartCars will do the right thing and underscore their dedication and commitment to their customers!

Best regards,

the blackvette

KOPBET said:
Are you really Dr. Phil and just not telling us BV? :L (just kidding! I think you are doing fine)

I'm still wondering what happened to the new pics Dave said he was going to have developed.
Jet lag - I brought the photos into work so I could get them developed on the way home, and then left them at the office. I need more than four hours sleep, or I get stupid.

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom