Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
barnetdh said:
Stewart's final offer is $18,000. Terry said they told him the car is in better shape now than when I brought it in. I spoke to my attorney last night -- we're going to court.

-Dave
have you seen the car? how does it look?

barnetdh said:
Stewart's final offer is $18,000. Terry said they told him the car is in better shape now than when I brought it in. I spoke to my attorney last night -- we're going to court.

-Dave
It's a real shame it had to go this far. Hope it works out for you. Hang in there.
Ed

Vettelt193 said:
have you seen the car? how does it look?
I'm not interested in what it looks like. It could look like it just came off the factory floor, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Just like rolling back the odometer doesn't change the real history of a car, fixing the cosmetics doesn't change anything either. Because of what Stewart's did to my car, I've lost at least $6,500 in resale value, and I'll never trust the car again, and they are 100% at fault.

Ed02 said:
It's a real shame it had to go this far. Hope it works out for you. Hang in there.
Ed
Thanks, Ed. I know it's going to cost me for court, but I don't care anymore.

- Dave

Try to have the court consider the car as if another person wanted to buy a Corvette but that purchaser will not but the car due to the damage history; no car that has been repaired is ever "better than it was". The frame repair would not pass inspection at Bowling Green, and most likely, the car would be destroyed by the factory. I'm sure the quality of the assembled cars is much better than it was in the old days. In the Arlington, Texas GM Assembly Plant, I have seen cars that had fender benders, broken windshields, etc, in the assembly line, and the factory would just pick up the damaged car with a crane and drop it on top of a pile of damaged cars near the railroad tracks next to Hwy 80. It was a quite an impressive site to see the 1970 and 1971 Chevelles stacked like firewood for a bonfire. And to think that GM would not allow anyone to buy any of these damaged cars.

barnetdh said:
I'm not interested in what it looks like. It could look like it just came off the factory floor, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Just like rolling back the odometer doesn't change the real history of a car, fixing the cosmetics doesn't change anything either. Because of what Stewart's did to my car, I've lost at least $6,500 in resale value, and I'll never trust the car again, and they are 100% at fault.
Sorry for the rant, Vettelt193. It's not directed at you. Stewart's has been nagging me to see how nice the car is, and you hit a sore spot.

- Dave

Dave, I've been following this thread since the day you posted it, I'm amazed at the amount of people and the different automotive communities that have been reached all over the world, the power of the Internet, simply amazing!:_rock I used to be a mechanic, and one of my biggest fears was dropping a car off a lift. It didn't matter whether it was a brand new Rolls Royce or a rusted old pickup truck, it's the fact that it is someone else's property and that I am responsible for it while it is in my care. I understand that is why the shop has insurance, but if I owned that shop, I would do everything in my power to make sure that I minimize the impact on the cutomer. Unfortunately, Stewart's doesn't think the customer's opinion matters much, it's their bottom line that's important to them. To me, there comes a time when you have to forget about "business" and focus in on customer relations. If this had been a simple scratch on a fender or a mark on a seat, then I can see where it shouldn't be such a big deal, but dropping a car is a whole different ballgame altogether. If you had your car for sale and you told me that it was dropped, and it took over $10,000 to fix, I would turn around and say thanks, but no thanks. There are too many other vettes out there that are are in great shape without the history, I would never trust it. I know that I'm not saying anything new, but I just wanted to add another voice to the saga. The vast majority in this community think you've been given a rotten deal and it's a shame that it has to go to court, but I agree with your decision. Keep your head up and fight on, as they say, there are a lot of people (all over the world) behind you on this one!

PS: Would you mind posting the info for PayPal again, or you can PM me if you wish, I would like to send some money to you to help with the legal fees.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Shewter said:
Dave, I've been following this thread since the day you posted it, I'm amazed at the amount of people and the different automotive communities that have been reached all over the world, the power of the Internet, simply amazing!:_rock I used to be a mechanic, and one of my biggest fears was dropping a car off a lift. It didn't matter whether it was a brand new Rolls Royce or a rusted old pickup truck, it's the fact that it is someone else's property and that I am responsible for it while it is in my care. I understand that is why the shop has insurance, but if I owned that shop, I would do everything in my power to make sure that I minimize the impact on the cutomer. Unfortunately, Stewart's doesn't think the customer's opinion matters much, it's their bottom line that's important to them. To me, there comes a time when you have to forget about "business" and focus in on customer relations. If this had been a simple scratch on a fender or a mark on a seat, then I can see where it shouldn't be such a big deal, but dropping a car is a whole different ballgame altogether. If you had your car for sale and you told me that it was dropped, and it took over $10,000 to fix, I would turn around and say thanks, but no thanks. There are too many other vettes out there that are are in great shape without the history, I would never trust it. I know that I'm not saying anything new, but I just wanted to add another voice to the saga. The vast majority in this community think you've been given a rotten deal and it's a shame that it has to go to court, but I agree with your decision. Keep your head up and fight on, as they say, there are a lot of people (all over the world) behind you on this one!

PS: Would you mind posting the info for PayPal again, or you can PM me if you wish, I would like to send some money to you to help with the legal fees.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Kevin -

It's a long drive to Newport, but the next time I need service, maybe I should bring my car to you. :) Thanks for all your support! (Everyone!)

I'll send you a PM on the PayPal.

Dave -

After reading Shewter's post, it ocurred to me that there must be other CA based mechanics that have read this thread. I wonder if any of them would be willing to testify on your behalf as "Expert Witnesses".

Maybe the same would hold true for auto salesmen when led down the path to purchase a hypothetical vehicle for market rate, then asked if they would purchase the same vehicle, knowing it had been dropped from approximately six feet.

Just a thought.

Tom

barnetdh said:
Kevin -

It's a long drive to Newport, but the next time I need service, maybe I should bring my car to you. :) Thanks for all your support! (Everyone!)

I'll send you a PM on the PayPal.
Dave,

The only place I trust to do any repairs on my vehicles anymore is Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa. The head of the service department is Mike Quinlan, I have worked with him for many years and he and others, including the owners,treat you like family. Many times they have gone the extra mile for me, my family (Father and Sisters), and friends who have all bought cars from them. If there is a problem, they take care of it right away, no questions asked. I used to think taking cars to dealers was a huge waste of money, my experience was that they would "pad" the bill by saying you need things that you really didn't need. I still don't trust dealerships, but Connell IMO is one of the best. Of course, not many places can "take" me because I know a lot about cars, so my experiences will probably be a bit different than most. Believe it or not, I take my cars to Express Lube (or Jiffy Lube) to have my oil changed, these guys are getting more and more educated on maintenance issues on cars. Your in and out usually in about 20-30 minutes and they keep complete records on service items like oil, trans, differentials, etc. And the cool part is...the car stays on the ground! :L Anyway, I didn't intend this to sound like an advertisement for car care, just who I trust.

Shewter said:
Dave,

Believe it or not, I take my cars to Express Lube (or Jiffy Lube) to have my oil changed, these guys are getting more and more educated on maintenance issues on cars. Your in and out usually in about 20-30 minutes and they keep complete records on service items like oil, trans, differentials, etc. And the cool part is...the car stays on the ground! :L Anyway, I didn't intend this to sound like an advertisement for car care, just who I trust.
If only I had gone to Jiffy Lube! Thanks for the tip -- Newport is about 6 hours drive from here, but it's not too bad in a nice Vette. :D There a few things more valuable than knowing who to trust.
- Dave

MM-C5 said:
Dave -

After reading Shewter's post, it ocurred to me that there must be other CA based mechanics that have read this thread. I wonder if any of them would be willing to testify on your behalf as "Expert Witnesses".

Maybe the same would hold true for auto salesmen when led down the path to purchase a hypothetical vehicle for market rate, then asked if they would purchase the same vehicle, knowing it had been dropped from approximately six feet.

Just a thought.

Tom
Good thought, Tom. Terry the appraiser checked with a dealer about this, and was told that the dealer probably wouldn't touch it at all, but might wholesale it out, or, possibly send it to a car auction (where it would have to display a yellow caution notice.) I don't we'll have too much trouble proving this if we can get some local expert witnesses. It doesn't matter how nice the car looks, nobody in their right mind is going to buy it at full price when the damage is disclosed.

- Dave

Hmm

It's amazing you have been jerked around like this, actually its appauling. Going to court will be a real drag, and I do wish you luck.

Vette_Newb2 said:
Hmm

It's amazing you have been jerked around like this, actually its appauling. Going to court will be a real drag, and I do wish you luck.
Thanks, vette_newb2. I'm actually looking forward to doing some turn-about for getting jerked around.

- Dave

Barnedth....I'm sorry and enraged to hear that you have to go to court but hopefully the judge who hears your case will be a car nut :crazy .....Stewart's will have to sqeeze their buttcheeks cause it's gonna hurt( I hope anyway).You'd be surprised how much loss of enjoyment and distress and agony etc....is worth to some judges.......My dad was dragged into court once by a retired fellow who had done some paint work.To make a long story short that little old man got a good scolding AND if my dad had counter-sued the judge said HE(the old fellow)would've owed us and all the witnesses money....lol......Before I testified I thanked the judge for his patience....let's just say he liked my comment...;) Good luck.

barnetdh said:
I had my '97 in for 40,000 mile maintenance, and the dealer dumped it off the lift while changing the oil. They are not being very cooperative in making this right. My car must have fallen 6 feet -- they want to replace the body and paint it, and give it back in 3 weeks "as good as new" Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to make this right? Is there a district manager for California dealerships?
I originally read this in another forum. You are entittled to ask for the dealership's insurance and handle this as any other accident. If the repairs do not exceed 70% of the car's value you basically have to fix it. Once fixed you are entittled by law to recieve diminished value compensation. factory panels have hidden vin#s on them and replacement panels don't. Therefore there is no such thing as, "as good as new". Any modern car in any type of accident suffers diminished value no matter how good the repair. There are places that write diminished value reports for around $200. You must have this report to back up any diminished value claim. You are also entittled to loss of use porportunate to the car's monthly payment. If your payment is $800 a month and it sits three weeks in the shop they owe you 3/5's of that payment including 3/5's of the insurance payment.
I personally go out of the way to avoid delearships.

Richard.

Dave,

Am I right in assuming the car has been repaired completely and they want you to look at it??? And if they finish it do you have to pick it up and take it or does that complicate suing them?

Tom

invinceablevett said:
Barnedth....I'm sorry and enraged to hear that you have to go to court but hopefully the judge who hears your case will be a car nut :crazy .....Stewart's will have to sqeeze their buttcheeks cause it's gonna hurt( I hope anyway).You'd be surprised how much loss of enjoyment and distress and agony etc....is worth to some judges.......My dad was dragged into court once by a retired fellow who had done some paint work.To make a long story short that little old man got a good scolding AND if my dad had counter-sued the judge said HE(the old fellow)would've owed us and all the witnesses money....lol......Before I testified I thanked the judge for his patience....let's just say he liked my comment...;) Good luck.
At least my attorney owns a C5, and gets it.

- Dave

C5Richard said:
I originally read this in another forum. You are entittled to ask for the dealership's insurance and handle this as any other accident. If the repairs do not exceed 70% of the car's value you basically have to fix it. Once fixed you are entittled by law to recieve diminished value compensation. factory panels have hidden vin#s on them and replacement panels don't. Therefore there is no such thing as, "as good as new". Any modern car in any type of accident suffers diminished value no matter how good the repair. There are places that write diminished value reports for around $200. You must have this report to back up any diminished value claim. You are also entittled to loss of use porportunate to the car's monthly payment. If your payment is $800 a month and it sits three weeks in the shop they owe you 3/5's of that payment including 3/5's of the insurance payment.
I personally go out of the way to avoid delearships.

Richard.
My attorney's already got one, Richard. The demand letter arrived today, and Frank called her. Bad mouthed me, bad-mouthed the appraiser. No surprise -- that's one of his tactics, to tell everyone that everyone is bad-mouthing everyone. We're asking for full value, as appraised, plus costs of renting a Corvette for nearly two months.

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom