Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
pgf50 said:
It's about time for everyone here to blitz Stewart's with phone complaints about how they have handled Dave's tradgedy....Speak your mind in a non thretening manner, and tie upo their phone lines for 2 or three days.....They will get the message in short order, and perhaps rethink their position.....No harm in anyone speaking their own mind, is there?
Peter
It appears the Stewart's made a mistake and dropped his car of a rack. In turn it also appears they fixed his car to the best of their abilities. Dave certainly has a diminished value claim but he has to reasonably prove the value and amount of that claim. I for one don't know the entire story here. But if Dave's car has been wrecked or repaired before in the same areas, or the areas and overall condition of the areas affected were not in absolute perfect condition before the accident, Dave may indeed not be elligible for a diminished value claim.

Richard.

Erik S. Klein said:
Actually most insurance companies currently pay local market value or replacement value for cars. When I totalled my pickup in Texas, for instance, the payout was 15% more then KBB since trucks in Texas sell for more then the national average.

Your insurance company should have that information handy and should be willing to give you a quote as to what they would have paid out.

Best of luck!
I would attribute the discrepancy to the accuracy of the information that was entered in the KBB value calculator. The online calculator factors in location and is accurate within a few dollars. All insurance companies in Texas pay "private party value". Which equals the market value for individuals that sell their cars. Insurances do not compensate for dealer profit as it is on top of the actual value of a car. They do however pay for loss of use, tax, title, and licence fees on top of the private party value for cars that total out.
I would also add that you may have not realized the insurance company that paid you had calculated in loss of use, TTL, and that's why your payout was larger than than the book value alone.

Richard.

C5Richard said:
I would attribute the discrepancy to the accuracy of the information that was entered in the KBB value calculator. The online calculator factors in location and is accurate within a few dollars. All insurance companies in Texas pay "private party value". Which equals the market value for individuals that sell their cars. Insurances do not compensate for dealer profit as it is on top of the actual value of a car. They do however pay for loss of use, tax, title, and licence fees on top of the private party value for cars that total out.
I would also add that you may have not realized the insurance company that paid you had calculated in loss of use, TTL, and that's why your payout was larger than than the book value alone.
That may be the case, but TTL, loss of use, rental reimbursement and the like were separate line items as were my claims for damaged/destroyed contents.

The vehicle replacement cost was about 15% higher then the paper copy of the KBB bought at my local bookstore about a week after the accident. The adjuster explained that trucks in TX retain their value better so I got a good payment.

The joy of it was that I bought the car under the GM employee purchase plan so my settlement was only about $1,000 under my actual purchase price 4 years after I bought the car. . .

Still, to have a car totaled with only 4 payments left in the book, a full tank of gas and brand new tires is infuriating. . . especially when it was the other guys fault! :(

I don't pretend to understand insurance companies, but I am relaying what I was told at the time. . .

E

We use a national company called PDA to assess the value of a car. They do the same thing no matter where our claims are. They start with one of the services, KBB I think, and then add in local values to make sure that the service is accurate.

Is name calling really necessary???????? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:L

bobchad said:
We use a national company called PDA to assess the value of a car. They do the same thing no matter where our claims are. They start with one of the services, KBB I think, and then add in local values to make sure that the service is accurate.

LOL-bobchad=good sport!!!!!!!!

Without naming any names or companies, the use of the "name calling" word perhaps did indeed seem appropriate in this thread.

Coincidence? I don't think so!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

bobchad said:
Got me there :L

Bobchad......

If you like to "fix" the word in my reply to your "name calling" post as it still has the name calling word, I would not mind. However, if you think it is okay to stay, then I am cool with it, too!

:D

theblackvette said:
Without naming any names or companies, the use of the "name calling" word perhaps did indeed seem appropriate in this thread.

Coincidence? I don't think so!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

bobchad said:
Not trying to sound like a know it all but this topic is in my line of work on two counts. I own a collision shop and the wife and I are also insurance agents and sell insurance.
You are correct Property Damage Appraisers are independent appraisers and review all local sources for values. The KKB is an accurate measure for the better insurance companies like State Farm. There's a whole lot of them that don't even pay that. One in particular, Progressive, should be avoided at all costs.

Richard.

Erik S. Klein said:
That may be the case, but TTL, loss of use, rental reimbursement and the like were separate line items as were my claims for damaged/destroyed contents.

The vehicle replacement cost was about 15% higher then the paper copy of the KBB bought at my local bookstore about a week after the accident. The adjuster explained that trucks in TX retain their value better so I got a good payment.

The joy of it was that I bought the car under the GM employee purchase plan so my settlement was only about $1,000 under my actual purchase price 4 years after I bought the car. . .

Still, to have a car totaled with only 4 payments left in the book, a full tank of gas and brand new tires is infuriating. . . especially when it was the other guys fault! :(

I don't pretend to understand insurance companies, but I am relaying what I was told at the time. . .

E
Trucks being worth more in Texas is true. Likewise consider that vettes also sell for less in Texas. I had been watching values for a while calculating a wise buy on the 97 after seeing the were down to 15k @80k miles. Things being the way they are I got the fever along the way and ending up spending over twice that. Couldn't help it.

Richard.

barnetdh said:
Anybody know how to get Kelly Blue Book Private Sale value as of May 28th? The online version goes up and down, and I'd like to pinpoint value at a point in time.

-Dave
How about this idea. Post the car for sale on eBay, listing the whole history, pictures, etc. State that the repair facility says that the car is "as good as new" and set your reserve to be the value you say the car is worth. Once the auction is over, you will have established the market value for your car. If it somehow sells, then you are made whole. If not, then you have great market based evidence for your case at a cost of $50 or so.

bcwaller said:
How about this idea. Post the car for sale on eBay, listing the whole history, pictures, etc. State that the repair facility says that the car is "as good as new" and set your reserve to be the value you say the car is worth. Once the auction is over, you will have established the market value for your car. If it somehow sells, then you are made whole. If not, then you have great market based evidence for your case at a cost of $50 or so.
:upthumbs I like it!:D

Thank you CAC!

I just want to thank everyone for all their support, all the advice and good wishes, and many other contributions. This has been a truly amazing experience, and I found many, many new friends. Action Center, indeed!

Special thanks to spanishvetts, kopbet, Ed02, Edmond, 67Heaven, MM-C5,Erik S. Klein, Savette, Bossvette, TLeblanc, and Shewter.

A very extra special thanks, to the one, the only, totally unique, and highly enthusiastic individual known as:

theblackvette
I owe you big time, BV!​
I have some funds left over from the defense fund that many of the CAC membrs contributed to (and I thank you all again!). I am sending all of the $ to Rob for running this forum, and letting us chew up his disk space.​
To all the moderators: Thanks for everything!!!! Your help and guidance were the best.​
To all my friends -- if you're driving in the Half Moon Bay area on the Pacific coast, send me a PM and we'll hook up. :w
Regards​
Dave :beer

You are welcome, Barnetdh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are very welcome, Barnetdh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was my pleasure!!!!!!

That is a very gracious gesture for donating the proceeds here to CAC. I am sure it will be appreciated. I am impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if that would qualify you as a "Supporting Member"??????? :D
:beer

barnetdh said:
I just want to thank everyone for all their support, all the advice and good wishes, and many other contributions. This has been a truly amazing experience, and I found many, many new friends. Action Center, indeed!

Special thanks to spanishvetts, kopbet, Ed02, Edmond, 67Heaven, MM-C5,Erik S. Klein, Savette, Bossvette, TLeblanc, and Shewter.

A very extra special thanks, to the one, the only, totally unique, and highly enthusiastic individual known as:

theblackvette

I owe you big time, BV!​

I have some funds left over from the defense fund that many of the CAC membrs contributed to (and I thank you all again!). I am sending all of the $ to Rob for running this forum, and letting us chew up his disk space.​

To all the moderators: Thanks for everything!!!! Your help and guidance were the best.​

To all my friends -- if you're driving in the Half Moon Bay area on the Pacific coast, send me a PM and we'll hook up. :w

Regards​
Dave :beer

I hope everything has worked out for the best for you barnetdh. :beer Do me a favor and don't ever go skiing! :L

KOPBET said:
I hope everything has worked out for the best for you barnetdh. :beer Do me a favor and don't ever go skiing! :L
;LOL

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom