Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TDB said:
Dave,

Am I right in assuming the car has been repaired completely and they want you to look at it??? And if they finish it do you have to pick it up and take it or does that complicate suing them?

Tom
Tom -- all repaired "better than when it was brought in." The repairs ran a little over $13,000. The body shop said they will start charging storage as of Friday, but we're going to sue Stewart's for those charges. If I pick it up, I may be in less of a position -- might complicate things a little.

- Dave

MM-C5 said:
Dave -

After reading Shewter's post, it ocurred to me that there must be other CA based mechanics that have read this thread. I wonder if any of them would be willing to testify on your behalf as "Expert Witnesses".

Maybe the same would hold true for auto salesmen when led down the path to purchase a hypothetical vehicle for market rate, then asked if they would purchase the same vehicle, knowing it had been dropped from approximately six feet.

Just a thought.

Tom
I think we could use some expert witnesses on this. Anyone have recommendations?

- Dave

barnetdh said:
TIf I pick it up, I may be in less of a position -- might complicate things a little.

- Dave

Good thinking! KA&TN!

barnetdh said:
We're asking for full value, as appraised, plus costs of renting a Corvette for nearly two months.
I'd also throw in every single expense incurred throughout the ordeal. Mileage to and from the dealership and or phone charges for every negotiation, time off from work and whatever else you can think of. Hell, I'd charge for the paper and ink that I used to take notes on and the electricity and depreciation on the computer used to log onto these forums.

Every penny that can be put in that suit should be.

Then tack on pain and suffering, lost sleep and whatnot.

Good luck!

Erik S. Klein said:
I'd also throw in every single expense incurred throughout the ordeal. Mileage to and from the dealership and or phone charges for every negotiation, time off from work and whatever else you can think of. Hell, I'd charge for the paper and ink that I used to take notes on and the electricity and depreciation on the computer used to log onto these forums.

Every penny that can be put in that suit should be.

Then tack on pain and suffering, lost sleep and whatnot.

Good luck!
The problem with doing that with the petty stuff is then, to the judge, it would lessen your case, as in you are asking for more than should be. It would help the dealearship in the case that "he was refusing any reasonable offer, see you can see that in this case" type of thing which would make it harder to "win" in the court. Although I agree he shouldn't of had to spend that money and it is a shame. It would be wiser to pick the bigger battles and leave the petty stuff out of it. Just to help his case that he just wants what is fairly his and the like.

Anybody know how to get Kelly Blue Book Private Sale value as of May 28th? The online version goes up and down, and I'd like to pinpoint value at a point in time.

-Dave

You might contact Kelley Blue Book online and ask them. They may keep track of it.

Dave,

and don't forget to include in your suit Pain and Suffering.

good luck man!

Regards,
Mike

barnetdh said:
Tom -- all repaired "better than when it was brought in." The repairs ran a little over $13,000. The body shop said they will start charging storage as of Friday, but we're going to sue Stewart's for those charges. If I pick it up, I may be in less of a position -- might complicate things a little.

- Dave
Just so you know, I own a collision shop. Pick up the car unless technically they did not finish something that was part of the accident. It's important that you do not come off as an unreasonable customer. The only legal point you can make is diminished value and loss of use. None of these requires that your car stays in that shop and they are after the fact claims. All you will accomplish by leaving your car there is to accumilate storage fees that can be deducted from your settlement. There are no provisions for attorney's fee in auto property damage for those fees will also come out of your final settlement and very well could exceed that of the original claim. You're porbably looking at a claim thats worth 5k tops and could have been handled much easier by simply filing in small claims court. Most SMC's cap at 5k. The judge sees that they damaged the car and the diminished value report will state it depreciating. The judge will render a judgement based on those two facts.
Keep in mind that statistically there are more bad customers than there are bad shops. The bulk of cases reveals the customer was completely wrong or simply asking for unreasonable relief. Don't paint yourself as an unreasonable person by not picking up your car when it's ready.

Richard.

I tend to agree with the picking it up idea. Couldn't hurt to go over it with a fine tooth comb and see how it is different than original ie. paint imperfections or body panel alignments. These types of things might even help with your case. The flip side could be that the car does look cosmetically better than before. 40k of miles had to put chips in paint and glass. If you do get it, could you post pictures that show the work? Thanks

Tom

An additional thought for picking it up is that you then can take it to some other shop for an exceptionally thorough inspection that can be used to document your case.

What did that Frame Report ever say?

Tom

TDB said:
I tend to agree with the picking it up idea. Couldn't hurt to go over it with a fine tooth comb and see how it is different than original ie. paint imperfections or body panel alignments. These types of things might even help with your case. The flip side could be that the car does look cosmetically better than before. 40k of miles had to put chips in paint and glass. If you do get it, could you post pictures that show the work? Thanks

Tom
Very true. And it would also be impossible to get an independent diminished value report if you don't have the car. No report = no claim.

Richard.

barnetdh said:
Anybody know how to get Kelly Blue Book Private Sale value as of May 28th? The online version goes up and down, and I'd like to pinpoint value at a point in time.

-Dave
Dave,

No offense intended; but Kelly Blue Book almost always shows the lowest resale value compared to other guides, many times ridiculously low, especially for cars considered collectible like your Vette. Nada Guides is much more accurate. The most accurate source that I know of is the CPI Value Guide, which is why I maintain a subscription to it. It tracks current prices all over the country and is published bi-monthly. My copies are all at home. I would be happy to let you know the value of your car as of May once I get home tonight, unless someone else here has it handy.

Regarding a few recommendations that you pick up your car, I very strongly suggest that you do not. As soon as you take possession, your court case is pretty much over. Stewarts can easily argue, probably successfully, that anything that is wrong with your car after you drive it away was not there when you took possession. The onus will then be on you to prove it, rather than the other way around. I also expect that you will be required to sign some paperwork before taking possession of the car indicating that you approve of the repairs and could find no problems. Remember that body filler, paint, and/or undercoating can go a long way towards hiding nasty problems that you may not spot for weeks or months. Signing any such paperwork would be a huge mistake, IMO. Beware!

Pete

ImpalaPete said:
Dave,

No offense intended; but Kelly Blue Book almost always shows the lowest resale value compared to other guides, many times ridiculously low, especially for cars considered collectible like your Vette. Nada Guides is much more accurate. The most accurate source that I know of is the CPI Value Guide, which is why I maintain a subscription to it. It tracks current prices all over the country and is published bi-monthly. My copies are all at home. I would be happy to let you know the value of your car as of May once I get home tonight, unless someone else here has it handy.

Regarding a few recommendations that you pick up your car, I very strongly suggest that you do not. As soon as you take possession, your court case is pretty much over. Stewarts can easily argue, probably successfully, that anything that is wrong with your car after you drive it away was not there when you took possession. The onus will then be on you to prove it, rather than the other way around. I also expect that you will be required to sign some paperwork before taking possession of the car indicating that you approve of the repairs and could find no problems. Remember that body filler, paint, and/or undercoating can go a long way towards hiding nasty problems that you may not spot for weeks or months. Signing any such paperwork would be a huge mistake, IMO. Beware!

Pete
That may be true but the private party value listed on KBB is the amount the insurance pays on total loss within a few dollars. Which match CCC values that are not publically listed. Insurance companies claim that NADA values are inflated.

Richard.

It's about time for everyone here to blitz Stewart's with phone complaints about how they have handled Dave's tradgedy....Speak your mind in a non thretening manner, and tie upo their phone lines for 2 or three days.....They will get the message in short order, and perhaps rethink their position.....No harm in anyone speaking their own mind, is there?
Peter

C5Richard said:
That may be true but the private party value listed on KBB is the amount the insurance pays on total loss within a few dollars. Which match CCC values that are not publically listed. Insurance companies claim that NADA values are inflated.
Actually most insurance companies currently pay local market value or replacement value for cars. When I totalled my pickup in Texas, for instance, the payout was 15% more then KBB since trucks in Texas sell for more then the national average.

Your insurance company should have that information handy and should be willing to give you a quote as to what they would have paid out.

Best of luck!

pgf50 said:
It's about time for everyone here to blitz Stewart's with phone complaints about how they have handled Dave's tradgedy....Speak your mind in a non thretening manner, and tie upo their phone lines for 2 or three days.....They will get the message in short order, and perhaps rethink their position.....No harm in anyone speaking their own mind, is there?
Peter
While your suggested tactic has its appeal, you will understand the Corvette Action Center cannot be a venue for the organization of group action against any person or company.

The dealership in question would do well to consider its reputation, but many of you have already made that point.

It goes without saying that this entire episode has been a sad experience for Dave. We hope and trust that the dealership will satisfy his legitimate requests.

The support of all these people here should tell the dealer something. :(

[QUOTE='63split]Dave,

and don't forget to include in your suit Pain and Suffering.

good luck man!

Regards,
Mike[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Mike. It has been painful. Hard to imagine this started two months ago.

- Dave

ImpalaPete said:
Dave,

Pete
Those were my thoughts, too Pete. I think even going over to look at it, is equivalent to accepting it. The repair are paid for, all I have to do is show up, and it;s mine.

Once a car has gone through something like that, I'm afraid that anything can happen. Anything I discover may be treated as a new problem (that's what my insurance said), and that would diminsh the value further. It would be hard to prove that a problem like that was the result of the drop.

- Dave

C5Richard said:
Very true. And it would also be impossible to get an independent diminished value report if you don't have the car. No report = no claim.

Richard.
Richard - thanks for joining in!

I already have an independent diminished value report, so that's not a problem.

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom