Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the lift had anything to do with it.

Mitzelj said:
I suspect what happened is that the lift arms were to far forward and car slid forward, jamming the arms up through the fender wells and the front half of the car smacked the ground or the oil drum he mentioned. I'd really like to see the underside of the car. I'd be after a complete total. Good luck. Jeff
I agree. The car was probably not on the lift correctly. Either that or they ran another vehicle into it bumping it off.
The visible front fender damage shown in the pics is not as scary as the clues to suspension and structure damage. It was also stated that the hood and windshield were cracked even though they did not receive a direct impact. He also said that the rear wheels are not strait. Sounds like the whole car got tweaked.

With the oil drain under the front to break the fall and God knows what else (isn't the floor fiberglass) the rear might have actually hit harder.

Whew! Just got here for the half time show. Sorry to hear about the frustration and all over Memorial Day weekend.

One item no one has mentioned is the added expense of a newer vette.
Increased car tag, insurance, etc.
Don't let those costs sneak up while you are smiling at a new(er) replacement Corvette.

I do agree that you should have unlimited use of a suitable loaner until you have had plenty of time to pick out the right car.

More than likely there will not be a model on his lot to your liking.

Personally, I would go with a cash settlement for the vehicle loss, your time, pain and suffering, lawyer fees, and such as others have suggested. Shop for a wonderful clean vette in your decided price range and carry on (away from that dealership).

Thanks for keeping us posted
Rain and Susan

I would have to agree with taking the cash settlement with all of your expenses in it. That way you can shop around and find a Corvette that you want, not something you might be forced into. Best of luck.

Justin

Another email sent

I've worked in GM dealerships, its not so much the Service Manager that decides what to do at this point, its the owner. My message was sent to sales, since so many others went out to service...negative publicity will hurt sales, and hit the owner where he feels the most pain.

I currently own a repair facility and a body shop, and informed him that I will be passing this story on to those I assiciate with, as well as those in auto clubs that I am a part of. I stated that I was disappointed that they were not willing to stand up and own their mistake, that their attempt to shuffle it under the rug would only have long reaching effects of costing far more in negative publicity than giving this guy a new C6. I also stated my open disappointment for not offering a comparible "loaner", it showed that they were not willing to work with their own customer to make this right.

Who knows, enough publicity in only one business day, or two, may get them thinking.

I would get a lawyer a few phone calls and a couple letters it might cost you a little but the results will be better.

Hello barnetdh.....I too have sent an E-mail to the service department.Although I am many miles away I did include in my e-mail a little advice for them indicating that this error on their part could cost them their reputation.I hope they do their best.I would like to add that the best thing for you to do is to contact a shark...oopps I meant a lawyer.The local journalists would be thrilled to help you out with this so I suggest you give them a call also.I hope things work out.

theblackvette said:
Barnetdh-You now have a open channel to GM. You will find in both of these e-mails the names and telephone numbers of two customer service managers requesting additional information. It may be wise to contact them whether or not you are satisfied with the progress to merely inform them of the situation. Both responses are similar, however two different managers are requesting information. I have highlighted the names and phone numbers of the managers.
BV -

I've already contactd the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center:
Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the concerns you’ve shared with us regarding the handling of your Corvette at Stewart Automotive. When one of our customers has an unpleasant experience with a Chevrolet Dealer, it is of great concern to us. We have carefully reviewed the circumstances involved in the issue between you and your dealer. Liability disputes between dealers and customers must be resolved by the two parties involved. General Motor’s dealerships are independent businesses, and as such, are responsible for the day-to-day operations of their business.

We have notified your dealership of your concerns and are confident that a mutually agreeable resolution can be reached. If you have any further questions, please contact us again and refer to your request number, 1-222298842.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,
Damien Crumbley
Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
I think this is just the standard canned response center. I wonder if these are real people. I used to work in banking, and the names the bank signs those "we're sorry but your credit stinks, and we're not going to give you a loan" letters are not real employees. They use code names so the employes don't get any flack outside of work. Is there really a Courtney Bumbarger and Damien Crumbley, or am I just too cyncial?

TBV,
Message modified as suggested and sent, a similar message was also sent by the Fleet Manager of an Oakland CA wholesale distributor who leases +/- 35 cars and trucks per year.(The only guy I could ask who was close to the dealership.) The messages were sent to both sales and service.:upthumbs
Barnetdh,
I thought that CA was Over The Top on safety standards. If the lift was worn and bowed why was it in use? Even in Spain, which has the highest ¨work related accident rate¨ in Europe, our facilities are inspected annually. If we allowed any machine which was in questionable condition to be used the Directors would be held liable. I know the Director of a Marina who was sentenced to 2 years in jail and was fined an amount that he can never pay because a travel lift collapsed, injuring several people and destroying 12 boats. Get pictures of that lift.

Stay positive barnetdh! Good things will come out of this!

Your concern is only natural barnetdh! However, it is clear that those notes were written by individuals. Notice on one of them they stated about the sender's concern about what they saw on a website. As if they are real names, perhaps you may be right, but in my opinion they are REAL people.

Needless to say, they were interested in finding out more information. You said you called them. What did they tell you? Did you call back and ask for those people by name?

I really think you will be able to get help from them! To give you a chevy malibu as a lender and then a buick is a little concerning to me. If anyone can get you a vette as a loaner, it would be these people. Stay on top of these people and call them if you have any questions. Also try to make a contact there with one or two people. Get to know them by name. Let them know you as a person, not just a voice. They will help you! It is their job to do so!

I am really impressed with all the support you guys and gals are giving barnetdh. As I said before, this could have happened to any one of us. It is important that we demonstrate as corvette owners that we stand together as a team and want to make sure we are treated fairly and with respect when situations like this come around.

Keep us posted, barnetdh.

Best regards,

the blackvette

barnetdh said:
BV -

I've already contactd the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center:

I think this is just the standard canned response center. I wonder if these are real people. I used to work in banking, and the names the bank signs those "we're sorry but your credit stinks, and we're not going to give you a loan" letters are not real employees. They use code names so the employes don't get any flack outside of work. Is there really a Courtney Bumbarger and Damien Crumbley, or am I just too cyncial?

JohnGrawcock said:
I agree. The car was probably not on the lift correctly. Either that or they ran another vehicle into it bumping it off.
The visible front fender damage shown in the pics is not as scary as the clues to suspension and structure damage. It was also stated that the hood and windshield were cracked even though they did not receive a direct impact. He also said that the rear wheels are not strait. Sounds like the whole car got tweaked.

With the oil drain under the front to break the fall and God knows what else (isn't the floor fiberglass) the rear might have actually hit harder.
The floor is actually balsa wood if I remember correctly. No way I'd accept a fixed car, I'd be willing to bet the entire drivetrain and frame are displaced. Jeff

corvettecrazy said:
A while back some guy bought a evo from a mitts dealer, but they refused to give it to him because they "sold it at a higher price" and "forgot to end the auction" not the same thing but after they :
1 made tshirts that made the dealer look really bad
2 had local radio stations talking about it
3 spread the negative word about the dealership across hundreds of forums
4 got TV stations notified
5 stood out from telling everyone what happened

Sooner or later that man recieved an Evo, for the price he won the auction. And the dealer probably still has a lower profit to this date.

Moral: If they wont give you what you want (you should want one of compariable value or new) then ruin their reputation. At some point they will do their best to salavge their reputation and that would invlove giving you a new ride.

Sorry this happened, it sucks! (we definately need some pictures)
If you go this route you have to be very careful that anything you say can be backed up with proof. Otherwise they're likely to take you to court for slander. Just because it's true doesn't mean that you can prove it's true.

Spreading the Word on this sitatuation. I used the Protal function to look up the email addresses of three Corvette Clubs close to the San Frnacisco area and emailed them a copy of this thread. This may help to get the word out in the local area about the situation. I hope this will help put additional pressure on the Dealer to make this right.

PC
GO SOONERS
:D

Cool!

76okievette
I was born in Bartlesville, and spent pieces of my childhood there. Both of my parents grew up in Bartlesville. I always liked the Wollarock museum. Do you know the place?

Have you spoken with the owner of the dealership? I've personally purchased 4 30K+ chevrolet pickups from my local dealer in the last 7 years and damned if I wouldn't call the owner, GM, etc on the carpet. I'd already be selecting my new car from their inventory!

The only correct solution is total replacement value of your car. There is no way to understand how much damage is not visible. This is where a lawyer would come in either working for you or your insurance. You brought in a known quantity, a vehicle in perfect working order. The dealership through negligence severely damaged your vehicle. They will NEVER be able to put it back into a known state without tearing the car down to nothing and putting it back together. This would be cost prohibative.

Do not let your insurance company and adjuster sell you on fixing this like an accident. This is negligence under controlled conditions. The lift was either worn out or poorly maintained, they may not have placed the car properly onto the lift extensions, etc.

I would avoid stepping out into the public eye and trying to bash the dealer unless that was your last resort. Again I would use your past purchasing history, the fact that you have recommended the dealership to your friends and family, etc - work in the positive until you get to the end of the rope. I would definitely be working directly with the GM and/or owner.

If you have to go into the public domain I would certainly contact OSHA and ASME to discuss working conditions at that dealership and their lack of attention to their equipment.

Ryan

DRTH VTR said:
Cool!

76okievette
I was born in Bartlesville, and spent pieces of my childhood there. Both of my parents grew up in Bartlesville. I always liked the Wollarock museum. Do you know the place?
Hey DRTH VTR, I am from Norman and don't get up to Bartlesville much sorry to say, tell me more about the Wollarock it might be a nice place to make a road trip to in the '76'

GO SOONERS

Wow, finally caught up on my reading of this thread. I can't believe those pictures! I agree that the car has got to be a total loss. Please keep us posted on any developments. I looked up the California OSHA people. Here's a list of their contact information:

California Department of Industrial Relations
455 Golden Gate Avenue - 10th Floor
San Francisco, California 94102

John Rea, Acting Director
(415) 703-5050
FAX (415) 703-5059

Len Welsh, Chief, Cal/OSHA
(415) 703-5100
FAX (415) 703-5114

Vicky Heza, Deputy Chief, Cal/OSHA
(714) 939-8093
FAX (714) 939-8094

Cal/OSHA Website:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/occupational_safety.html
Next time you go in to talk to the dealership, ask the manager which of those would be the most appropriate to call. Watch his face turn colors!

I also want to add my sympathies to those already expressed here. It's bad enough they totalled your car, but I think that their both their lack of action and the actions they took are inexcusable. Personally, I'd be torn between a cash settlement going through the insurance company, or a cash settlement with punative damages through a lawyer. You said something about sawing off parts of the life to make it work because they couldn't find all the pieces, and they knowingly used a worn/unsafe lift. I'd be willing to bet that a lawyer could get some punative damages. Punative damages would probably take longer to get, but I think that this dealerships actions might make it worth it.

I spelled it wrong- Woolaroc, for "woods, lakes, rocks". It is stuff from the Frank Phillips family. There are a lot of western and indian paintings (eg Remington), artifacts, a very large doll collection, etc. I will have to look at some stuff to figure out where it is. In general, it is west of Bartlesville, less than 50 miles? I suspect it was once a Phillips ranch. Try this:
http://www.woolaroc.org/

DRTH VTR said:
I spelled it wrong- Woolaroc, for "woods, lakes, rocks". It is stuff from the Frank Phillips family. There are a lot of western and indian paintings (eg Remington), artifacts, a very large doll collection, etc. I will have to look at some stuff to figure out where it is. In general, it is west of Bartlesville, less than 50 miles? I suspect it was once a Phillips ranch. Try this:
http://www.woolaroc.org/
Thanks that look interesting it will definetly go on the list of road trips, I get up to Tulsa and this could be a good trip also.

76okievette said:
Spreading the Word on this sitatuation. I used the Protal function to look up the email addresses of three Corvette Clubs close to the San Frnacisco area and emailed them a copy of this thread. This may help to get the word out in the local area about the situation. I hope this will help put additional pressure on the Dealer to make this right.

PC
GO SOONERS

The Black Vette, you are to be commended for all initiating the email campaign to Stewart :beer 76okievette, I think you have the right idea in getting local clubs involved. Hopefully they will jump in also. By any chance, did you let Stewart know you had sent this thread to the local clubs?

While they might pay some attention to those of us outside The Bay Area, the real concern will be about thier reputation with local buyers. Hmm, I wonder if they are the "Proud Sponsor" of any particular club out there.

What a shame! :cry

Tom

Bay Area Corvettes

76okievette:

Did your search include Bay Area Corvettes?

Here is a link to their website: http://www.bacvette.com/index.htm

This seems like to be a very active Corvette Club in the San Francisco area.

I would send them a note but if you already did it wouldn't make sense to send another.

76okievette said:

PC
GO SOONERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom