Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnetdh said:
Tom -

The entire body wasn't damaged. There's a big scrape on the rear panel, the front wheel wells and panels are completely shattered, the hood has delaminated and can't be closed, the windshield is cracked, and one of the rear tires looks out of true.

- Dave
Sounds like a total to me. My father has owned an insurance company for over 30 years and have totaled cars for far less!! The dealership is responsible period, defective lift or not. Do not except anything less than full replacement value. Now, most insurance companies will tell you that they base loss cost at what the car would sell for at a private sale, in other words what kelly blue book or NADA private sale value is. That is what the insurance company would do, do not confuse this with what the dealership is responsible for. They have liability insurance for this very thing. It is a whole different animal.

Be tough with them and except nothing less than a replacement car!!! Just remember they will have to replace your car for one of equal value, don't go thinking that they are going to give you a brand new 2004. They may make you one hell of a deal on a trade in though. If nothing else works go to the local news nothing motivates business people more than negative publicity!!!

just my .02

Trent81

Let them know you have a bunch of Corvette pals behind you!

Hey, I just thought of this.
This will ensure that we have been heard!

Barnetdh-let them know about this website. Right down the web address and hand it to them. Let them know that SEVERAL vette owners are behind you all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL help you out!!!!!!!!!

Yours truly,

Your pals at CAC!

trent81 said:
Sounds like a total to me. My father has owned an insurance company for over 30 years and have totaled cars for far less!! The dealership is responsible period, defective lift or not. Do not except anything less than full replacement value. Now, most insurance companies will tell you that they base loss cost at what the car would sell for at a private sale, in other words what kelly blue book or NADA private sale value is. That is what the insurance company would do, do not confuse this with what the dealership is responsible for. They have liability insurance for this very thing. It is a whole different animal.

Be tough with them and except nothing less than a replacement car!!! Just remember they will have to replace your car for one of equal value, don't go thinking that they are going to give you a brand new 2004. They may make you one hell of a deal on a trade in though. If nothing else works go to the local news nothing motivates business people more than negative publicity!!!

just my .02

Trent81
This is exactly right. However, as it is not your fault in any way, make sure you don't claim it through your personal insurance and pay the piper forever after. The dealer has his own coverage that he will be hatin' to claim through. Just think of the safety connotations alone...
How about top dollar trade on a C6?

Do not let that body shop touch one thing on that car until you get resolution!!! You need to have an independant collision professional examine the car and make recommendations!! This car is a probable total loss, especially if the frame is bent in any way. At the very least make them put it on a frame machine and measure it. If it is bend, except nothing less than a replacement car!!

If you let them begin work it might all be for naught!!! They can say, that becasue you let them begin the work, that you agreed to their terms!!! Do not let them touch the car!!!! I cannot stress that enough, unless, that is you do except their offer.

Trent81

Hopefully, we will be getting a status report soon!

I've noticed quite a few comments about getting OSHA involved here. As past head of safety for a MAJOR company......I can attest to the fact that the dealership will not want that to happen. Trust me on this one......OSHA is the last thing any company wants to have to deal with. My company alone has paid millions....yes thats MILLIONS in OSHA fines over the years. Use that as a bargaining tool for your benefit. I also agree with everyone else that under NO circumstances should you remove your vette from thier shop untill your insurance agent has seen it firsthand,and had the opportunity to discuss compensation with the GM at Stewarts. Good luck.

TBV, does this email meet your standards?

It has come to my attention that your shop ¨dropped¨ a corvette from a height of 6´ during a scheduled oil change and that you are giving the owner a bit of the old ¨Run Around¨. While I am a burnt out Yuppie living in Europe, I still sit on the board of several companies which lease several hundred cars each year. Unless you can justify your actions I shall be forced to recommend that these companies no longer lease GM products and inform GM as to the reason why.

Awaiting your reply,

Recommended Message

Hi Spanishvetts!

Since we do not know what events have been taken place today as we have not received an update I would leave the "run around" out. But rather state that you are aware of the situation and you hope that this matter gets resolved peacefully. I have altered your mail as follows, if you like to use it! Thanks for helping our fellow corvette pal out!!!!!!

Recommended message:

It has come to my attention that your shop may have ¨dropped¨ a 1997 black corvette from a height of 6´ during a scheduled oil change. If this is the case, I hope that you will resolve this matter fairly with the owner. Several members of Corvette Action Center (a discussion board) are aware of this matter. I have provided the link at the end of this message. While I am a burnt out Yuppie living in Europe, I still sit on the board of several companies which lease several hundred cars each year. Unless you can prove that you can handle this matter fairly, I shall be forced to recommend that these companies no longer lease GM products and inform GM as to the reason why. Here is the link:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50014

Yours Truly,
Spanishvettes

SPANISHVETTS said:
TBV, does this email meet your standards?

It has come to my attention that your shop ¨dropped¨ a corvette from a height of 6´ during a scheduled oil change and that you are giving the owner a bit of the old ¨Run Around¨. While I am a burnt out Yuppie living in Europe, I still sit on the board of several companies which lease several hundred cars each year. Unless you can justify your actions I shall be forced to recommend that these companies no longer lease GM products and inform GM as to the reason why.

Awaiting your reply,

News Bulletin!!!!!!!!!!

I want to thank member XXXXXX (who wishes not to be identified) for taking the time to contact General Motors. This person does not feel comfortable disclosing who they are in CAC and e-mailed me this trusting me with this information and requested it to be posted. Thank you for contacting me and giving me this most important information and trusting me.

I have no problem reporting this information here to you in CAC. This person sent two e-mails to General Motors customer service and they are interested in finding out more information about this matter.

Barnetdh-You now have a open channel to GM. You will find in both of these e-mails the names and telephone numbers of two customer service managers requesting additional information. It may be wise to contact them whether or not you are satisfied with the progress to merely inform them of the situation. Both responses are similar, however two different managers are requesting information. I have highlighted the names and phone numbers of the managers.

Again, I want to thank all of you and also give a special thanks to XXXXXX for taking the time to contact GM. Here are the e-mails with the associated names and phone numbers:

E-Mail #1

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I
appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to taking a look
at a thread on this message board to assist a Chevrolet Corvette owner
who is being treated this way by a GM dealership.

Thank for bringing this to our attention. I apologize for the
inconvenience but I would need additional information from you to assist this customer and to start a request to document this information. Please
provide me with the following information:

Vehicle Owner's Full Name
Address
City, State, ZIP Code
Telephone number
Vehicle Identification Number
Current Mileage
Current Dealer with which you are working
Purchased new or used (if used, mileage at purchase)
Other Information

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this
message or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at
1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,

Kathy Sawyer
Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

For more information regarding the maintenance and care of your
vehicle, please visit www.chevrolet.com/owners. This free online service
offers vehicle and ownership-related information and tools tailored to your
specific Chevrolet.

E-mail #2

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We
appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to your concerns
with treatment a Chevrolet dealership is providing its customers.

We are unable to research your request due to the fact that more
information is needed to provide an accurate response. Please write us back and include the following information.

Vehicle Owner's Full Name
Address
City, State Zip Code
Telephone number
Vehicle Identification Number
Current Mileage
Current Dealer with which you are working
Purchased new or used
Mileage at purchase

This information will enable us to document your comments and do the
research needed so that we may extend to you the assistance you seek.

If you should need to contact us in the future, please e-mail us again
or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020.
Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Thank you for making Chevrolet your vehicle of choice!

Sincerely,

Courtney Bumbarger
Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

barnetdh said:
Edmond -

The thing that has me worried about their doing right is that the loaner they offered was a 2002 Chevy Malibu. They said it was only car they had available at the time (late Friday before the 3-day weekend). I drove it home, and realized that there was no way I could drive this car for 3 weeks, while my C5 was getting fixed. I went back the next morning, and told them the Malibu
was a piece of s____, and I wanted a decent ride. They also said they did't have any other cars, and their insurance wouldn't let them loan me one of the C5s off the lot.I pointed out that when I was buying a Corvette from them, they said I could take one home for the weekend -- so what was the difference? The assistant manager said he would check with the general manager, and get back to me later that day. In the meantime, he got a Buick Regal for me -- at least I can sit in it without puking, even though it's not a C5. The general manager never did call me back, but had the assistant manager call Sunday night and say they had no cars to loan me. Right then, I knew that these guys would not go out of their way to make this right.
Dave,
Don't sign anything and don't let them fix your car. If they do you will be pressured to accept it. The car may never be right again. If they have no other C5 of equal or greater value than your car, then wait until they do. They simply need to replace your car. If they don't agree to that, file suit to include the actual cash value of your C5, aproximate cost of attorneys fees and out of pocket expenses for a rental car of your choosing. I'm so sorry you have to go through this but don't settle for anything less than you rightly deserve!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Vette! I looked at the pics and it looks to me that they didn't have the lift pads positioned properly and tried to lift it by the fiberglass and not the frame. (just my opinion) Anyway, here is a copy of the email I sent to the service manager.... I personally can't see how this car can ever be made "right" again! GOOD LUCK!

Keith

I understand from the Corvette Action Center web site that a Corvette fell from your lift and that the owner of the car is receiving less than fair treatment. Like giving him a 2002 Malibu to use. Hmmmm. I hope you realize by now that thousands of Corvette owners nationwide know of this incident by now and that your dealership's reputation is going down hill. I hope this incident is resolved in short order and that our friend leaves there smiling!

KOPBET said:
Count me in!

I used the "Contact Us" instant e-mail screen to the service dept. We'll see if anyone "replies" :L (not holding my breath).

Good luck barnetdh.
Hey, everyone! I REALLLLLLY appreciate this. I'll let you know what happens.

Mr. Blackvette.........I'm curious about something.Since you are a recent refugee arrival here at the CAC......and with all the help and support barnetdh is receiving from the members here..............my question to you is.......would the members from "that other forum" have been as supportive and helpful as everyone here has? Just curious I guess. :CAC

KC-21 said:
I'm so sorry to hear about your Vette! I looked at the pics and it looks to me that they didn't have the lift pads positioned properly and tried to lift it by the fiberglass and not the frame. (just my opinion) Anyway, here is a copy of the email I sent to the service manager.... I personally can't see how this car can ever be made "right" again! GOOD LUCK
Keith [\QUOTE]

Thanks, Keith. I stopped by the body shop this morning to get the rest of my things out of my car, and swung by the dealer. I asked one of the Service Manages to show me the lift, and explain what happened. The lift was an electric hoist, like a twenty-foot upside down "U". They had taken it out of service. The shop guy showed me the gears that lock the extender arms, and pointed out that the gears were all worn down on both sides of the hoist. He also said that one of the extender arms was bowed from use, and the combination of that and the worn gears caused the accident. I don't think that sounds like a defect with the lift -- it sounds more like a lack of maintenance.

I think the extender collapsed, and the car slid backwards, and the front extenders caught under the front panels as the car tilted sideways.

I felt really bad for the mechanic. On one side of the lift was a tool cage, and front of the car was a concrete wall. There's not much room between the lifts, and when my C5 started to fall, the guy got as far back in the corner as he could get, and had no where to go.The service manager said the mechanic was all pale. I don't blame him -- he was trapped between a falling car and a concrete wall, and is lucky to have gotten out alive. Actually, I hope he has a good attorney.

Glad to hear your update!

Not sure if you have made any progress though!

But I highly recommend you contact the two individuals via phone and discuss the situation. Perhaps THEY at GM can arrange for a C5 loaner for you!!!!!!!

I would be picking up the phone first thing in the morning if I had two names and two phone numbers at the GM headquarters!

Good luck!

barnetdh said:
Hey, everyone! I REALLLLLLY appreciate this. I'll let you know what happens.

Reefdiver..............

Let me give you a brief answer to this:

You would have a few words of support from members. Probably not as far as getting barnetdh two names of customer service managers at GM.

Then you would have the anger crowd telling him to take take matters in his own hand and suggest something stupid and irrational.

And then you would have the cowards that would develop a poll in order to post negative comments without being identified in order to make fun of barnetdh.

He probably wouldn't get as much help I don't think. I just went over there and saw the going ons over there. I see that I am still mentioned over there, even in todays posts!

Whatever. I am here now! This place is my home!

reefdiver said:
Mr. Blackvette.........I'm curious about something.Since you are a recent refugee arrival here at the CAC......and with all the help and support barnetdh is receiving from the members here..............my question to you is.......would the members from "that other forum" have been as supportive and helpful as everyone here has? Just curious I guess. :CAC

theblackvette said:
Hey, I just thought of this.
This will ensure that we have been heard!

Barnetdh-let them know about this website. Right down the web address and hand it to them. Let them know that SEVERAL vette owners are behind you all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL help you out!!!!!!!!!

Yours truly,

Your pals at CAC!
Thanks, bv and all my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get on that phone!!!!!!

You are very welcome!!!!

More importantly, get on the phone and call up those two GM service managers tomorrow and provide them the information they requested!!!!!!!!

barnetdh said:
Thanks, bv and all my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom