Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dual mode exhaust switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcensouth

Corvette
2008 silver coupe
I recently purchaced a 2008 coupe, Z51, 6 speed with the duel mode exhaust option. I understand there is an after market switch available. Does anyone know where I can get one? I have pulled the fuse to activate the exhaust all the time. I would like to be able to do it with a switch.

My wife bought my 'radio control' system from Nakidparts direct via http://www.nakidparts.com. I understand Corvette Central has it also but it was cheaper directly from Nakidparts.

The system plugs into the fuse slot and has a 'fob' to control the dual mode exhaust. I have mine set up to start out loud. If I want it to work in the normal 'dual mode' way, I have to push one of the buttons on the remote.

I found that I do not like the loud mode at cruising speeds with the top up and windows closed. However, with the top down, loud mode is just fine!

I see that this is your first post also - WELCOME to the CAC!!! :upthumbs

Corvettes of Houston has a kit, but you can make your own--it takes about an hour, and if you install a premade switch it takes half an hour.
Gersh

Corvettes of Houston has a kit, but you can make your own--it takes about an hour, and if you install a premade switch it takes half an hour.
Gersh

Do you have a parts list?

The best deal I've seen yet on an exhaust switch is $45.99 shipped! That's less than half the price of the Mild to Wild. And it comes with a lifetime warranty. SunsetOrangeCreations Or you could build your own for about $25 in parts.

My wife bought my 'radio control' system from Nakidparts direct via http://www.nakidparts.com. I understand Corvette Central has it also but it was cheaper directly from Nakidparts.

The system plugs into the fuse slot and has a 'fob' to control the dual mode exhaust. I have mine set up to start out loud. If I want it to work in the normal 'dual mode' way, I have to push one of the buttons on the remote.

I found that I do not like the loud mode at cruising speeds with the top up and windows closed. However, with the top down, loud mode is just fine!

I see that this is your first post also - WELCOME to the CAC!!! :upthumbs

the one at nakidparts is the best one out my whole club has them and they even sell them at ecklers

the one at www.nakidparts.com is the best one out my whole club has them and they even sell them at ecklers

To say that one switch is "best" is absolutely ludicrous and completely unfounded. My home built, DIY switch that I made from $24 worth of parts is no better or worse than the one you got from nakidparts. Basically, the technology is very, very simple. All it amounts to is a remote controlled on/off switch. That's like saying my light swich is better than yours. :D

I'm very familiar with the high priced switch you refer to. The components are virtually identical to my DIY unit. The difference in price covers a big fat profit margin for the reseller and magazine advertising.

Some people don't like to tinker, some do. For those that don't like to tinker and want a plug and play exhaust switch for NPP or Z06 then I recommend the $50 2 button or $60 1 button switch from Sunset Orange Creations. Either one comes with a full, lifetime warranty that even covers the remote batteries! How much more can you ask for in quality and quality customer service?

And good news for those with the new visor switches i.e. as found on an '08 Coupe or Z06, Sunset Orange Creations will soon be announcing a switch that is compatible with your visor buttons - you won't even need a fob. How cool is that?

See their selection here:
http://www.sunsetorangecreations.com/Products.php

Here is the DIY info:

Here is a great toy for the C6Z06 at a bargain price. I tried pulling the fuse but didn't like the drone at low RPMs. I didn't want a hard wired switch because that required drilling and running wires, etc. Not what I wanted to do with my new Z06.

A friend of mine, Bob Franklin, hooked me up with a great alternative. It's a remote control switch which is either controlled by the included key fobs or the Homelink buttons on the visor, if so equipped.

I recently found out that you can get an item called Add A Circuit from your local auto parts shop which is much easier than cutting a fuse and soldering.

Just plug in the part numbers (without the “#”) in the search window and it will bring up each component.

Link to parts:
http://allelectronics.com/

THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE AT ALLECTRONICS
AT 800 826-5432 OR ONLINE ALLELECTRONICS.COM

1 #RC-10 $18.75 KEYCHAIN REMOTE
1 #FHP-25 1.50 FUSE HOLDER
1 #FSA-10 1.00 ATC FUSE 10 AMP

GET AN EXTRA FUSE LIKE THE ONE IN YOUR

FUSE BLOCK FOR THE EXHAUST.

THE ONLY REAL WORK IS PREPARING A FUSE

AS THE CONNECTOR TO YOUR FUSE PANEL.

FIRST WE ARE GOING TO BLOW THE FUSE, DO

THIS BY TOUCHING ONE SIDE TO BATTERY

AND THE OTHER TO GROUND, AFTER THAT IS

DONE, YOU NEED TO FILE TOP OF FUSE TO

GET TO METAL TO SOLDER TO, SOLDER THE

RED AND WHITE WIRE TO THE FUSE. AFTER

THAT, CUT THE RED WIRE ABOUT 4 INCHES
UP FROM THE FUSE, REMOVE ABOUT 2

INCHES OF THE RED WIRE. THE FUSE HOLDER

WILL GO IN BETWEEN THE TWO RED WIRES.
YOU CAN PUT HEAT SHRINK INSULATION ON
THE CONNECTION OR TAPE THEM. PUT A 10
FUSE IN THE HOLDER. ON THE BLACK WIRE,

PUT AN WIRE EYELET AND ATTACH IT TO

GROUND SCREW OF THE BCM MODULE. PLUG
DEVICE INTO FUSE BLOCK WITH RED WIRE TO

RIGHT. IF YOU GET IT BACKWARDS, NOTHING

WILL HAPPEN, JUST WONT WORK.

Sharing of links for parts available is one thing, sending traffic from this site is another.

Tips and tricks are greatly appreciated however, please post them in your format vs. providing links to sites outside the :CAC

Agree, I Like My Simple Mechanical Switch

To say that one switch is "best" is absolutely ludicrous and completely unfounded. My home built, DIY switch that I made from $24 worth of parts is no better or worse than the one you got from nakidparts. Basically, the technology is very, very simple. All it amounts to is a remote controlled on/off switch. That's like saying my light swich is better than yours. :D

I'm very familiar with the high priced switch you refer to. The components are virtually identical to my DIY unit. The difference in price covers a big fat profit margin for the reseller and magazine advertising.

Some people don't like to tinker, some do. For those that don't like to tinker and want a plug and play exhaust switch for NPP or Z06 then I recommend the $50 2 button or $60 1 button switch from Sunset Orange Creations. Either one comes with a full, lifetime warranty that even covers the remote batteries! How much more can you ask for in quality and quality customer service?

And good news for those with the new visor switches i.e. as found on an '08 Coupe or Z06, Sunset Orange Creations will soon be announcing a switch that is compatible with your visor buttons - you won't even need a fob. How cool is that?

http://www.sunsetorangecreations.com/Products.php

I Agree, I like my simple $3 mechanical switch. Did use an $8 Add-A-Circuit to make installation easier and to retain the fuse. To each his own. For DIY folks you can download 19 "How To Do" PDF's at my Vette site about the mods made to my 2008 Coupe with Z51. Check them out at: EDIT: If you would like to share tips with others, please post them in their original form, versus a link to another website. Thanks. *89x2*

Jerry

Here is the DIY info: EDIT: If you would like to share tips with others, please post them in their original form, versus a link to another website. Thanks. *89x2*

OK it's clear your trying to sell something here :eyerole Just like all flat screens are the same :chuckle

OK found your $55 switch on ebay only $18

23859204_tp.jpg

Exterminator,

You wouldn't be any chance happen to own Sunset Creations....am I right?

OK it's clear your trying to sell something here :eyerole Just like all flat screens are the same :chuckle

Um dude, who is the one touting that "nakidparts has the best switch?" I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with Sunset Orange Creations the manufacturer of the one or two button Exhaust Commander switches OR All Electronics which is the online electronics store that sells the components for the DIY switch.

I love the way you say that the switch you own is the best when you've never seen the competition! No, you just paid an arm and a leg and believe that it's the best because it's the one you own. On the other hand, I've compared them all and I've built my own. I do have considerable experience in electronics as well.

To compare a simple technology such as a remote controlled on and off switch (which only opens or closes a circuit) to a highly sophisticated, flat panel TV reveals your naivete when it comes to electronics.

As I previously stated: I am not "selling" anything, only sharing (enthusiastically) with my Corvette brethren a fantastic deal that I have discovered. That does NOT mean that I have a vested interest. I do not.

If people want to unnecessarily pay "Vette Tax" on their parts that's up to them, but I just want to share an alternative that is of equal or greater quality. I have also offered a DIY alternative to either ready-made switch. Again it is simply out of a desire to share a fun and easy project that will save money. :beer

It just so happens that I decided that I wanted a one button remote recently. This frees up 1 button on my visor to use with another device. I chose the Exhaust Commander because it comes with a lifetime warranty that covers the remotes' batteries as well.

Um dude, who is the one touting that "nakidparts has the best switch?" I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with Sunset Orange Creations the manufacturer of the one or two button Exhaust Commander switches OR All Electronics which is the online electronics store that sells the components for the DIY switch.

I love the way you say that the switch you own is the best when you've never seen the competition! No, you just paid an arm and a leg and believe that it's the best because it's the one you own. On the other hand, I've compared them all and I've built my own. I do have considerable experience in electronics as well.

To compare a simple technology such as a remote controlled on and off switch (which only opens or closes a circuit) to a highly sophisticated, flat panel TV reveals your naivete when it comes to electronics.

As I previously stated: I am not "selling" anything, only sharing (enthusiastically) with my Corvette brethren a fantastic deal that I have discovered. That does NOT mean that I have a vested interest. I do not.

If people want to unnecessarily pay "Vette Tax" on their parts that's up to them, but I just want to share an alternative that is of equal or greater quality. I have also offered a DIY alternative to either ready-made switch. Again it is simply out of a desire to share a fun and easy project that will save money. :beer

It just so happens that I decided that I wanted a one button remote recently. This frees up 1 button on my visor to use with another device. I chose the Exhaust Commander because it comes with a lifetime warranty that covers the remotes' batteries as well.

OK read my post "the one at nakidparts is the best one out my whole club has them and they even sell them at ecklers" my opinion , not a sales pitch like yours :W coat it any way you want it's a sales pitch

Exterminator,

You wouldn't be any chance happen to own Sunset Creations....am I right?

Absolutely not. Nor am I affiliated with that vendor in any way. I did a review of his product after purchasing one recently. I also review flashlights after I buy them, I post reviews on a major flashlight forum. I am in the wholesale grocery business in Los Angeles. Ben is located in the Bay Area.

Perhaps I am enthusiastic in my posts about Ben's products because he is an ethical manufacturer who doesn't rip-off the Vette community in the way that others have by charging ridiculous prices (Vette Tax) for simple products. And he also stands behind his products for life, including even the batteries in the remotes he sells! I don't know of any other manufacturer doing that.

I do happen to have quite a bit of experience with these switches over the last 20 or so months. Both the DIY variety and the plug and play type. Before Sunset Orange Creations began selling plug and play switches at reasonable prices I was all for the DIY variety. At Sunset's prices it almost doesn't pay to DIY.

Here is my review at CAC: Review

OK read my post "the one at nakidparts is the best one out my whole club has them and they even sell them at ecklers" my opinion , not a sales pitch like yours :W coat it any way you want it's a sales pitch

You've mistaken my enthusiasm for a sales pitch. I have no reason other than a strong desire to share a fantastic deal on a great product with my Corvette brothers. I never said this switch is "best" like you did. It's obvious however that it is a much better value.

You've mistaken my enthusiasm for a sales pitch. I have no reason other than a strong desire to share a fantastic deal on a great product with my Corvette brothers. I never said this switch is "best" like you did. It's obvious however that it is a much better value.

OK you just put me an what I think is the best (my opinion). I am glad be have the king of exhaust switches on this forum :ugh So I guess you purchased the nakidparts one or how would you know how it's made, any way we have the nakidparts mile to wild and we are more than happy so try to stop raining on others parades

OK you just put me an what I think is the best (my opinion). I am glad be have the king of exhaust switches on this forum :ugh So I guess you purchased the nakidparts one or how would you know how it's made, any way we have the nakidparts mile to wild and we are more than happy so try to stop raining on others parades

Whatever that means.

BTW the switch you are referring to is called Mild to Wild not Mile to Wild. And no, I personally did not purchase a Mild to Wild but I have disassembled one and installed another for a buddy. It is a simple 2 button remote virtually identical to the 2 button remote available at All Electronics just a LOT more expensive.

I never tried raining on anyone's parade as you have. All I am saying is that Mild to Wild is not the "best" as you stated. Then you ineffectively tried to imply that because it cost more it was somehow better. :crazy

My posts are simply about better value (price/performance/warranty) and/or the satisfaction that can be derived from building something yourself, if so desired.

You can rest well and be proud and be satisfied that you have the most expensive exhaust switch ever sold, if that's what floats your boat. :eyerole

It's really too bad that you aren't more open minded. You might actually learn something if that were the case. Your feeble attempt to insult me by calling me the "king of exhaust switches" only reveals just how closed minded you are by attempting to ridicule me when you have nothing substantive to back up your expressed opinions.

BTW the switch you are referring to is called Mild to Wild not Mile to Wild. And no, I personally did not purchase a Mild to Wild but I have disassembled one and installed another for a buddy. It is a simple 2 button remote virtually identical to the 2 button remote available at All Electronics just a LOT more expensive.

I never tried raining on anyone's parade as you have. All I am saying is that Mild to Wild is not the "best" as you stated. Then you ineffectively tried to imply that because it cost more it was somehow better. :crazy

My posts are simply about better value (price/performance/warranty) and/or the satisfaction that can be derived from building something yourself, if so desired.

You can rest well and be proud and be satisfied that you have the most expensive exhaust switch ever sold, if that's what floats your boat. :eyerole

It's really too bad that you aren't more open minded. You might actually learn something if that were the case. Your feeble attempt to insult me by calling me the "king of exhaust switches" only reveals just how closed minded you are by attempting to ridicule me when you have nothing substantive to back up your expressed opinions.

You must have a problem because you need to back and reread what you wrote. You are obvisouly in bed with the orange guy or you would have just posted you simple DIY for $24. go get some meds

PS: midamerica sells the mild switch for $115 and we paid $90 from nakid

thanks for the stupid insult "You can rest well and be proud and be satisfied that you have the most expensive exhaust switch ever sold, if that's what floats your boat. :eyerole"

why do you care

You must have a problem because you need to back and reread what you wrote. You are obvisouly in bed with the orange guy or you would have just posted you simple DIY for $24. go get some meds

PS: midamerica sells the mild switch for $115 and we paid $90 from nakid

thanks for the stupid insult "You can rest well and be proud and be satisfied that you have the most expensive exhaust switch ever sold, if that's what floats your boat. :eyerole"

why do you care

You are in denial. First you state that Mild 2 Wild "is the best switch out." A completely unfounded and ludicrous remark. And then you say "they even sell them at Ecklers" like that's a big endorsement. So what? And that wasn't trying to "sell" the M2W? Yeah right!

Then you idiotically bring up the flat panel TV analogy trying to imply that there is some mysterious and highly sophisticated circuitry in your switch that makes it worth $90 plus shipping! Obviously, you have a HUGE vested interest in believing that you have the best switch in the world and my posts have really upset you. Or maybe you are in bed with M2W?

And now you are implying that I'm getting commission or "selling" switches for Sunset Orange Creations because I have enthusiastically reviewed a product. :Silly If that were true, then why would I even mention the DIY version and risk losing commission? :duh Again you reveal your lack of acumen and basic common sense. :Buttslap

And now you are telling me that I need meds? :chuckle Get a clue.

They don't have meds for what ails you bud. ;shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom