Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found this on cars.com. Too good to be true?

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
2003 Chevrolet Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition, $9,800 - Cars.com

I have emailed the guy and he says the car is in Olympia, WA and that the price includes shipping. He says it has 35k miles. I checked the VIN and it came back that the check digit was incorrect. Could be a typo. I asked him to send me pics of the odometer, VIN, and data stickers. I also told him I would need to get the car inspected before I moved forward with this.

If it isn't, he will set a new record for stupid

I have emailed the guy and he says the car is in Olympia, WA and that the price includes shipping. He says it has 35k miles. I checked the VIN and it came back that the check digit was incorrect. Could be a typo. I asked him to send me pics of the odometer, VIN, and data stickers. I also told him I would need to get the car inspected before I moved forward with this.

This car in bone stock condition with 35K would sell here -- the Baltimore-Washington corridor for +/- $26k. Take a look at some of my posts. I got an '04 Z06, all options, the most expensive C5 then for $22,900 with 24,126 miles on it and the only non-stock parts were Brembo rotors, racing pads, and new Goodrich Force Rivals (good, solid track tires in anybody's book). While I made those non-stock items a terrible, scary, horribly emotional problem with the BMW dealer I bought it from, I was laughing near tears on the inside when I knew he was done at $23k.

I'm holding my breath, so let us know. The wrong check digit is serious...

And a CarFax too, RIGHT?

I'm assuming he also represented it had no accident history...right? Gotta have a CarFax no matter what...

My gut reaction is this is fraudulent. The first thing that raises a red flag is the price; the second is the wrong check digit; the third is the subtle but still erroneous reference to this car as a "50th Anniversary Edition." While the car pictured may have been built during 2003, and would have the "50th Anniversary" badging, it's not one of the Anniversary Edition cars. Those have a different color scheme: a metallic maroon color called "Anniversary Red" (RPO paint code 94U) with a Shale-colored interior (RPO 154); the RPO for the Anniversary Edition package as a whole is Z25. Ask him for a photo of the RPO label; it should be in the glovebox on the 2003 models.

But I'm thinking he won't send you anything...

You're getting some 'Kool' advice

Mikey and Tim are doing you -- and really all of us -- a big favor. Their advice and even showing how bogus the car's location is,is well, a concrete validation for me that this is a GREAT place to spend my precious time.

Way to go gentlemen. Our boy Koolaid has been well-supported. Ok, ok, enough of this warm and fuzzy stuff.

LMAO...

Thanks for all the responses! After seeing these same pictures of the same car with the same pictures listed in AR, I fully believe its fraudulent.

All goes back to the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I guess I'll keep searching.

Or South Africa... just as long as it's a place where extradition is a joke and the courts take bribes. :chuckle

Haven't heard from the guy since I asked for a location to send the pre-purchase inspection. Then got an email alerting me to a possible fraud involving this car. Hope they find the a-hole and arrest him.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom