Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
abc said:
So what does this mean?
It just means that the front license plate issue has generated a lot of interest. This thread has over 22,000 views. That's all.

DRTH VTR said:
It just means that the front license plate issue has generated a lot of interest. This thread has over 22,000 views. That's all.
I see what you mean that's alot. Just be careful not to buy those SpecterGuard anti-photo plates from TelstarOne because those guys are crooks and sell junk.

Okay ... I just blew about a half hour going through all these comments about the C6 front plate holder. Add me to the "NO" vote.

People buy a Corvette because it's a beautiful, high performance roadster with a world-class reputation for excellence and quality. Anyone who says "get over it" and it looks okay with the plate installed is being somewhat apathetic in their approach to the overall design of the car. This bracket sucks like the south end of Katrina.

This bracket is the elephant in the kitchen that 12-steppers tend to ignore. It's a big case of denial at GM. They know it stinks ... it never appears in their ads or brochures. The industry knows it's a turd ... you never see it in magazine articles or TV spotlight shows. It looks, walks and quacks like a lame duck ... because it is.

The final piece of evidence is the rapid response in the aftermarket, like the Bailey bracket and even NCM's own offering. I refuse to believe the weak canard that putting it in the grille shaves ponies off the rear tires ... that's road apples.

They got apathetic at the back end of the design curve and they screwed up and won't admit it. Someone with clout at GM is stonewalling the clientel of their most prestigious of all performance machines. No wonder they have profit issues with that kind of poor management response.

Just got the latest Mid-America catalog in the mail.

Guess what they have at the top of Page E of the New Products section ... yep ... you guessed it ............

Just took the OEM front plate off my car, the first owner had it installed. Well there is a line where the plate rubs on the car:mad Took it to the dealer here in and they say it GM's problem and they will fix it even if it means replacing the front end, What a great dealer, I 'm going to take it in next week. As luck would have it my car did the DSB think sitting there so they put a new 6 yr battery in also....:rotfl :upthumbs

It seems like the dealers are on board with this issue, too. They understand what the customers are thinking and adjust happily, not just for the repeat business, but also because they tend to agree with the problem.

I wonder how many sales of C6's have been "lost" as a result of the terrible tag placement issue. Many states require two tags, and who wants to keep being stopped by cops for not displaying a front tag every time they go out for a drive?

I think it was an after thought. What a way to ruin a beautiful nose. No Michael Jackson pun intended.

Nose

His nose was never beautiful!;)

No Sir!!!! Glad the design team wasn't smoking crack when they were rolling out my baby!!!:L

NCM Bracket for Front License Plate

The NCM Store is selling a below the nose license plate mount leaves the nose clean and pretty. Check it out in the C6 section of the store. They do mention that it is very low and may not comply with some states inspection rules though.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com.

I just installed mine from NCM after driving my new C 6 for the first 2 months trying to figure out what I wanted to do about it. Kept the front plate and dealer bracket with me behind my seat just in case I got pulled over. Anyway, this NCM bracket is very easy to install, but definitely hides the front plate probably a bit more than the police in TEXAS would like! But, I see many cars without a front plate that don't look near as good as any of our Vettes! BTW/ cost about $15, took 5 mins. to put on. At least it is better than the dealer black bracket I got for my Victory RED C 6, and I'll wait til I'm told to do something different. Hopefully most will be looking at the total car, not concentrating on the front plate placement when I go by!

Front Plate Holder

Very Ugly, would never put one of those on the front of my C6, I use the Clean Fascia mount.
Gary

Front Plate Holder

Don't like it at all. I live in Cali where it is required to have a front plate, but I still havn't installed one. No way am I going to drill holes in the front of this car. Obviously GM created this holder as an after thought. The front was never designed to hold a plate so putting one on later just makes the front end look hokey. Best option to solve the US need is to design a front end with the plate inbedded in and conform it to the styling. It can be done GM!

Don't like it at all. I live in Cali where it is required to have a front plate, but I still havn't installed one. No way am I going to drill holes in the front of this car. Obviously GM created this holder as an after thought. The front was never designed to hold a plate so putting one on later just makes the front end look hokey. Best option to solve the US need is to design a front end with the plate inbedded in and conform it to the styling. It can be done GM!

Well, I'm from NYS where it's also the law, but like I said, I use the Clean Fascia mount from the NCM, it's not really legal, but it does meet two of the requirements, it's solidly mounted, and it's there, but it's NOT the legal height of 12", but who cares, that's the only place the front plate is going on my 2005.
Gary Civiletti

Is this compatible with a bra?

I just installed mine from NCM after driving my new C 6 for the first 2 months trying to figure out what I wanted to do about it. Kept the front plate and dealer bracket with me behind my seat just in case I got pulled over. Anyway, this NCM bracket is very easy to install, but definitely hides the front plate probably a bit more than the police in TEXAS would like! But, I see many cars without a front plate that don't look near as good as any of our Vettes! BTW/ cost about $15, took 5 mins. to put on. At least it is better than the dealer black bracket I got for my Victory RED C 6, and I'll wait til I'm told to do something different. Hopefully most will be looking at the total car, not concentrating on the front plate placement when I go by!
Wondering if anyone has had a chance to try their bra on with the NCM bracket? Hard to tell from the NCM catalog picture, but looks like a possibility to me. Sure wish Illinois wasn't a 2 plate state, and I didn't have one warning already! Argghh.

Wondering if anyone has had a chance to try their bra on with the NCM bracket? Hard to tell from the NCM catalog picture, but looks like a possibility to me. Sure wish Illinois wasn't a 2 plate state, and I didn't have one warning already! Argghh.

I drove mine all season with the NCM mount, NO problems at all, although many of our clib members don't have a plate on at all, I drove my C5 withopught a plate for 6 years with no problem. That's about the only place i would put a plate.

Gary

Check the front air dam

Look under the front of your C6 to the black air dam (black plastic piece that goes from about front wheel to front wheel), about 18" in from front nose. The NCM plate bracket attaches in the middle of that, using the bolts already on the car, so that the plate is fully against it. The mounted plate does not come down to the lower edge of the dam, about an inch from it. As much of the dam as you can see with the bra on is how much of the plate you will see, except for that bottm inch of the plate. You don't actually see much of the plate from the front anyway with the NCM bracket, mostly the top portion and the bottom portion of it.
I don't like the looks of mine, but it is better than having the thing pinned on out front of the nose. Hopefully it satisfies the law! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom