Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM - Here is what we think of the License Plate Mount

Here is what we think of the C6 LP mount:

• It is hideous and can not be allowed to be placed into production

Votes: 311 62.2%
  • I like it. It blends with the aerodynamic flow of the C6

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Who at GM was drunk when he approved this thing?

Votes: 166 33.2%
  • I love Vipers and / or Mustangs so I hope this LP mount makes it into production

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my "no" front plate tickets have been given to me while my car was parked. No chance to even talk my way out of it. Meter Maids.....the NCM plate mount wouldn't cut it in NYC.

Bug catcher survives: ND House votes to keep front license plate

By DALE WETZEL Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press - Thursday, February 08, 2007

BISMARCK, N.D.

Behold the front license plate on North Dakota vehicles - bent from snowbanks and car wash brushes, splattered with bugs in the summertime, scorned by Corvette owners who cringe at putting it on.

The North Dakota House, prodded by lobbying from law enforcement officers and convenience store owners, wants to keep it.

Representatives voted 57-34 on Wednesday to defeat legislation, sponsored by Rep. Wes Belter, R-Leonard, to end state law's requirement that North Dakota cars and trucks display both a front and back license plate.

Rep. Ed Gruchalla, D-Fargo, who is a former highway patrolman, said service station owners want to keep the front plate to help make it easier to identify vehicles that leave the gas pumps without paying.

The front plate is handy for spotting stalled vehicles at night, because it may be only part of the front of a car or truck that has a reflective coating, Gruchalla said.

Law enforcement officers believe the front plate can help their chances of "apprehending felons, kidnappers, murders, child abductors, et cetera," he said.
Belter is dubious the front plate has that many benefits.

Many new cars are not designed to have front license plates and car dealers have to drill holes in the vehicle's bumper to install them, Belter said.

"I think it's good for the environment that we use less steel and less plastic," Belter said. "I think (dropping the plate) would be a convenience to our citizens in North Dakota."

Besides, Belter said, consider how ugly the front plate can get.

They're "always full of bugs. They're bent with snowbanks," Belter said. "We've got to put tabs on them in the winter time, if we happen to buy our car at that time."

___
The bill is HB1262.

Thats just wrong. maybe its a cover from Mad magazine and when you fold it you get something that looks like the front end of a vette? ;-)

SO FAR SO GOOD

I HAVE USED THE NCM FRONT PLATE HOLDER SINCE THE NEW PLATES CAME IN OCT. I KNOW IT'S LOW AND HARD TO SEE BUT SO FAR SO GOOD - AS FAR AS I CAN TELL I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN LOOKED AT. NOT TO SAY I CAN GET BY WITH IT FOREVER THOUGH. I ALSO ORDERED THE UGLY NOSE HOLDER IN YELLOW TO MATCH THE CAR COLOR IF PUSH COMES TO SHOVE. I MAY JUST PUT PLATE ON THE DASH IF I'M FORCED TO MOVE FROM THE NCM HOLDER??? HAS ANYONE BEEN FORCED TO MOVE THE FRONT PLATE FROM THE NCM HOLDER? WOULD BE INTERESTED TO LEARN THE REASONING BEHIND THE OFFICERS COMMAND.

I've also just ordered the front plate holder from the Corvette Museum and am hoping I can get away with it here in MA!

Elaine

Sure just put holes in the front to the C6 that's the worst thought out plate holder I have ever seen in my life, I would not purchast the C6 if I had to put holes in the front of it!!!

Come on GM - make somthing like we had on the 1960 Vette. This will not do!
On second thought - SOMEONE HAS GOT TO BE KIDDING US - PLEASE SAY IT'S SO!!!!

Write Chevy directly - Email them phone them - I just did. We need to all try to change this!

Who has to put holes in the front of a C6 to mount the front plate?

All of the after market front plate holders that I have seen for the C6 are just as ugly, out of place and don't fit either.

Being from MN, which requires a front plate. I am going with the factory holder on mine. I would perfer that I didn't have to put on a front plate, but until MN gets rid of the front plate I don't have much of a choice. I am not going to give up my C6 just because of a license plate holder. There are things about each generation of Corvettes that have some design aspect that I don't care for. So, I guess I just have tolive with it.

Other options.

Wisconsin is a 2 plate state. I found a nice option from Innovative Auto Products (http://www.iaproducts.com/home/). The support bracket mounts to the rear of the facia, which takes a little elbow grease and is much easier if you have access to a lift. I did mine from the garage floor. When not mounted you can't tell the bracket is "hiding" behind the facia, but in less than 15 seconds I can be running a front plate. I figure if I get pulled over I'll say I just washed the car and forgot to put the plate on :eek:hnoes.

InnovativeAutoProductsLicFrame2.jpg

InnovativeAutoProductsLicFrame.jpg

When I have my bra on :)cool) I use a nose cover from Speed Lingerie, which includes a zippered front license plate pocket, with snaps, and it too mounts in about 15 seconds.

SpeedLingerie-FrontView-Withplateho.jpg

Dave

gross!!!!! But here in Washington we must have one. Going to opt out for the NCM one and the IAP one first. Just makes you want to hurt some designer. Awaiting new design...............

It looks horrible. I will go with an after market when I get my plates. in California you are required to have plates in the front. Then again, I am a reserve police officer, I could probably get away without one. No I will follow the law and set an example. I will get one of the removable ones.

And now they are REQUIRING the front plate on all 2 plate states with the '09 model year.

Anyone know if that means it will be installed at the factory?

I used the NCM plate holder on my 05 for a year+.It worked for me other than the constant scraping of the plate leaving the driveway,then I got the one from RPI that screws in under the bumper and you can pull the plate up as needed.Thanks for posting that painted front plate holder.I just thought of doing that yesterday but I think I'll pass!:bash

2 Plate Or Not 2 Plate

Friends:

The plate holder on my GS is recessed, and it also has a cover that makes the recessed area flush with the rest of the bumper (my preference). Not rocket science, but still effective.

What the heck was GM tryting to do?

Live It!

Spence
X

GSR Lifetime; Re-Owner GS697
Formerly Millenium Yellow '00 Coupe

Friends:

The plate holder on my GS is recessed, and it also has a cover that makes the recessed area flush with the rest of the bumper (my preference). Not rocket science, but still effective.
Got a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom