Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport GY Tires on GS is BS

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.
He said mid-to-late 2014, likely late. If you don't require ZP, you can get them this year. I spoke to the guy about flat-fix cans and he agrees that they are not the hot setup. Can affect balance of wheel/tire assembly, make a mess inside the tire, and can cause a hazard to a tire changer as the goop can, in some cases, be explosive. That's all we need...<grin>. I'll use up the Goodyear junks and by then I'll likely go with the ZP's. Michelins are quite expensive compared to the competition, but they really are good tires. I just know I can't get another set of OEM's.

As a mechanic, I saw some of those ''fix a flat'' in a can causing problem to tpms sensors. First time it append, I could fix it but the second time, I had to replace the sensor.​

Yeah, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the Michilins. I always figured the tire fix in a can was a feel good thing more then a sure thing. Trying to get that to work on a dark rainy night out in the middle of nowhere is not something I care to do. To add to that I really really like the Nitto's and hate to give them up. It's strange the Kumo's or Nitto's have not offered a run flat tire........I wonder why?

Yeah, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the Michilins. I always figured the tire fix in a can was a feel good thing more then a sure thing. Trying to get that to work on a dark rainy night out in the middle of nowhere is not something I care to do. To add to that I really really like the Nitto's and hate to give them up. It's strange the Kumo's or Nitto's have not offered a run flat tire........I wonder why?

If you cut a sidewall or put a gash in the tread, the "fix a flat" stuff will never fix it. With a run-flat, you can still drive for a way with a big cut/gash in the side wall. Been there, done that - or at least my wife has. Sure beat the heck out of her sitting on the shoulder of a turnpike waiting for a tow truck.

Update

We've had several pretty warm days and I can now say that the OEM tires are hooking up quite well. They scared me to death in sub-45 degree weather, but they are pretty sticky around 70 degrees. Thank God!!! Another update - I had the Elite Engineering "Thermal-abs" heat shielded tunnel plate installed, and while it helped with the console heat issue, it's not the total fix. I'm gonna investigate insulation under the carpeting in that area.

I lied....I got the Bridgestone Pole Position RFT's and so far I like them a lot. They are stiffer but that was a given. They don't make much noise.

We've had several pretty warm days and I can now say that the OEM tires are hooking up quite well. They scared me to death in sub-45 degree weather, but they are pretty sticky around 70 degrees. Thank God!!! Another update - I had the Elite Engineering "Thermal-abs" heat shielded tunnel plate installed, and while it helped with the console heat issue, it's not the total fix. I'm gonna investigate insulation under the carpeting in that area.

I have not noticed a heat problem in the console with mine......haven't had it very long so that may be why........is this a wide spread C6 issue?

It's still cool here in central MA so I think I'm going to keep the car in storage for an extra week. I'm having 2 bathrooms installed at the house so the garage is a bit of a mess anyway.
It's killing me not to have it but I'll definitely have it out by late next week.

I didn't realize there were heat issues with the Grand Sports but it can't be anything nearly as bad as the LT-1. I'm sure I can live with it.

Last edited:
heat

I have not noticed a heat problem in the console with mine......haven't had it very long so that may be why........is this a wide spread C6 issue?

It's been an issue from way back. I had it in my C4 and now my new C6 has it (C6 worse than C4). It gets really bad above 60 degrees ambient when you're going at less than highway speeds. The more idling in traffic, the worse it gets. The carpet below the console gets warm enough that if you have your right leg against it, you can feel heat through your pant leg. Even the driver's seat eventually gets toasty. I like to wear shorts in summer and I can just imagine the discomfort then. The console gets warm enough that the drink holders kill any coldness from an soda can or bottle in a pretty short period of time. If you Google "C6 Corvette console heat", you'll see what I mean. Supposedly the C5 was somewhat worse than the C6. I LOVE this car and want to be comfortable cruising in the summer, so I put in that thermal-abs plate, and am gonna get some shielding under the carpet put in. For the money, Chevy should have insulated under the carpet in that area. They're not gonna convince me that they were unaware of the heat issue. No car is perfect from the factory.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom