Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with Numbers Matching!

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Ok, as you can tell by my name, I own a 1980 L82 Corvette. I have a small coolant leak which may be the intake manifold, so I removed the AIR pump today to get a better look. In the process, I stumbled across a stamped code on a pad in front of the Passenger side head. The code reads:
K04 02 CGC. Im curious does about what this signifies. Any input? Please help. Thanks in advance,
80VetteL82:W

Update! I also just found the engine identifier code? Maybe? Its located at the back of the drivers side head, sort of below the head. Im not sure now if my car is numbers matching or not. The code I found here is: 3970010.... what should I match this too, the VIN? If so I dont think they match. Here is my VIN: 1Z876AS423957

The 3970010 is the block casting number. Was used from '69 through '80.

In the VIN, the 6 before the A indicates it is an L82.

The K04 02 CGC I am assuming is stamped on the block in front of the passanger side head. Correct? The CGC is the engine usage code. CGC was a 1971 350ci used in the Full Size Chevy and in the El Camino. Looks like it is not the original enigne. Also, your VIN was built in Feb 80 but the block stamp shows April 2nd assembly date.

Look on the block on the drivers side back by the flywheel flange, opposite where the block casting number was. You should find the casting date there which could confirm if it was a 71 build.

tom...

The 3970010 is the block casting number. Was used from '69 through '80.

In the VIN, the 6 before the A indicates it is an L82.

The K04 02 CGC I am assuming is stamped on the block in front of the passanger side head. Correct? The CGC is the engine usage code. CGC was a 1971 350ci used in the Full Size Chevy and in the El Camino. Looks like it is not the original enigne. Also, your VIN was built in Feb 80 but the block stamp shows April 2nd assembly date.

Look on the block on the drivers side back by the flywheel flange, opposite where the block casting number was. You should find the casting date there which could confirm if it was a 71 build.

tom...

Thanks for the help tom. As I have recently suspected, after some investigation, the engine is probably not original. I bought the car in rough shape 4yrs ago when I was 16 and began restoring it. I bought the car from a Boston cop who got it through the dept. after it was recovered stolen. The problem is who knows what the theives did with it. IMO it was changed to be harder to trace, because when I bought it someone had also did a half ass job painting it red over the original black. Knowing all this, I never really wanted to confirm wether it was original or not, I always rather just assume it was LOL. Unfortunately while working on it recently I noticed a few spots on the block where the BLUE paint had chipped off revealing Orange paint. As I had suspected the orange paint was indicative of an earlier engine than 1980 which would have been BLUE. Somebody went to a little trouble to disguise it because when I bought it, the block was blue, it had the L-82 valve covers and some other L-82 identifiers. Well....Im not going to lie this is kind of depressing, but this makes my decision wether or not to go stock or modified :D. Its just sad to think that my original L-82 is lost in the world somewhere, separate from it original home like some many other MISTREATED Vettes!
One question, you said the date indicates April 2, but wouldnt it be November 4th. From what I understand the K is the month (K=11th letter in the alphabet, November=11th month) then the 04, the 02 would mean 1972? Also, I just found a site that said the CGC was a 1971 engine used in Camaros and Novas?

K is the engine plant (Vette would have a V for the flint plant). 04 is the month, 02 is the day of the month. Did not have the year in the stamping. Need to get that from the casting date.

tom...

I just found a great site with a list of casting numbers. Heres what it says on the number I found:
Years Casting # CI Low High Main Applications
Power Power Caps
1969-79 3970010 350 185 370 2or4 car, truck, Vette

This is what it says about theK04 02 CGC Engine Code:
Suffix Year CI HP bbls. Appl.
CGC 1971 350 tur hydro 245 2 El Camino
CGC 1971 350 std trns, pol/taxi 245 2 Full size

K04 02= November 4th 1972.

Therefore, Im thinking I have a 1971, 350/245hp, sprayed GM corporate blue and set up with L82 valve covers, Rochester 4bbl, and possibly L82 heads and intake manifold, all to impersonate an 1980 L82:mad

K is the engine plant (Vette would have a V for the flint plant). 04 is the month, 02 is the day of the month. Did not have the year in the stamping. Need to get that from the casting date.

tom...

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That means this engine came from St. Catherine's in Ontario Canada! This engine is definitely coming out. Im curious now to see what heads and intake manifold are on it, because it has a 4bbl Rochester like the L82, so Im curious to see what the heads and intake manifold are.

Why change the engine? How does it run? I had a 1970 coupe with a 400 small block non- original engine that ran like a raped ape. I told the previous owner before I bought it that the numbers didn't match, he said "Take it for a ride, you won't care about matching numbers", he was right.................

Why change the engine? How does it run? I had a 1970 coupe with a 400 small block non- original engine that ran like a raped ape. I told the previous owner before I bought it that the numbers didn't match, he said "Take it for a ride, you won't care about matching numbers", he was right.................

The engine is getting to the point where its time for a rebuild. I had been debating on wether or not to rebuild it and put it back in or get a crate. However, knowing its not original I dont really see a reason to spend the money and time rebuilding it. I ve been looking at 383 strokers for a while, I found a nice one from blueprint engines. Ive also been considering trying to find a late 60s 427 vette engine to rebuild instead of going with a crate. The motor still runs good now, but its definitely starting to show a lot of wear.

...Im thinking I have a 1971, 350/245hp, sprayed GM corporate blue and set up with L82 valve covers, Rochester 4bbl, and possibly L82 heads and intake manifold, all to impersonate an 1980 L82:mad...

Looks like it. Check your VIN. For the 1980 models, the fifth character of the VIN is the engine code. It will be a "6" if the car originally had the optional L-82, "8" for the base engine L-48, and an "H" if she was a California car with the 305CID smog motor.

Heads will be 462624 castings for the L-82 and L-48. You will have to pull a valve cover to see the casting number. No real difference in base engine and L-82 exahust manifolds. Intake manifold is 14014432 for all.

L-82s had an electric auxiliary fan installed in the fan shroud. Is it there?

:)

Looks like it. Check your VIN. For the 1980 models, the fifth character of the VIN is the engine code. It will be a "6" if the car originally had the optional L-82, "8" for the base engine L-48, and an "H" if she was a California car with the 305CID smog motor.

Heads will be 462624 castings for the L-82 and L-48. You will have to pull a valve cover to see the casting number. No real difference in base engine and L-82 exahust manifolds. Intake manifold is 14014432 for all.

L-82s had an electric auxiliary fan installed in the fan shroud. Is it there?

Yah Im already certain that it was an L82 originally, judging by the 6 in the VIN. Now I know the block isnt original, but Im curious to see if the heads are still from the L82. Im thinking they might be, because the rest of the engine was made to look like the original L82. Maybe someone along the way swapped in a used 350 block for a cracked original?... Like I said the car was stolen at some point along its journey, thats how I came to buy it from a Boston cop...so who knows what this car went through. Next step is Im going to go outside in a little bit and pull a valve cover and check the heads. From what your saying though, it sounds like I wont really be able to tell if theyre L82 heads, but rather just what year they are? I found a site that said the 1980 350 cylinder head casting # would be 14020517?

...From what your saying though, it sounds like I wont really be able to tell if theyre L82 heads, but rather just what year they are? I found a site that said the 1980 350 cylinder head casting # would be 14020517?...

All '80 350CID Corvettes used the 462624 heads. With a valve cover off, you should see the casting number between the rocker arms. The number will be upsidedown, but you will be able to read it. If memory serves, the casting date is also there. Sample below:
367c_1.jpg

I agree with you; looks like a replacement block fitted with the original L-82 heads, covers, and intake.

All '80 350CID Corvettes used the 462624 heads. With a valve cover off, you should see the casting number between the rocker arms. The number will be upsidedown, but you will be able to read it. If memory serves, the casting date is also there. Sample below:
367c_1.jpg

I agree with you; looks like a replacement block fitted with the original L-82 heads, covers, and intake.

Alright, so if the block was the only replacement part what does that do to the originality? If the heads, intake, and carb get me any points? Or does it not matter without the original block? Im just curious, because it will be good to know when it comes time to deciding wether or not to keep the old engine around if I get a crate.

Alright, so if the block was the only replacement part what does that do to the originality? If the heads, intake, and carb get me any points? Or does it not matter without the original block?...

The original block was coded for Corvette (probably ZBC) and assembled at the Flint, Michigan engine assembly plant (V code) prior to the assembly of your Corvette. At St. Louis, a VIN derivative was stamped on it with the consecutive unit number of your Corvette. The VIN derivative confirmed that particular engine was installed at the factory in your Corvette. Not having the original block will cost you points, but if the car is otherwise correct and nice, the points deduction on the block may not cost you a flight award.

Not having the original block will cost you points, but if the car is otherwise correct and nice, the points deduction on the block may not cost you a flight award.

Actually, it will prevent earning a Top Flight award. The points for the block are based on two things - the casting number and configuration, and the casting date. In this case, the block casting number/configuration won't fly due to its McKinnon Industries origin (vs. Flint Engine), which will result in a 350-point deduction. Losing 270 points or more (out of 4500 for the whole car) would put the car out of the Top Flight category, but you could still qualify for a Second Flight award.

:beer

Ok, as you can tell by my name, I own a 1980 L82 Corvette. I have a small coolant leak which may be the intake manifold, so I removed the AIR pump today to get a better look. In the process, I stumbled across a stamped code on a pad in front of the Passenger side head. The code reads:
K04 02 CGC. Im curious does about what this signifies. Any input? Please help. Thanks in advance,
80VetteL82:W

Update! I also just found the engine identifier code? Maybe? Its located at the back of the drivers side head, sort of below the head. Im not sure now if my car is numbers matching or not. The code I found here is: 3970010.... what should I match this too, the VIN? If so I dont think they match. Here is my VIN: 1Z876AS423957
I see you got your answers! I have a 1981 made at St Louis. I have been told that because of that fact I cannot find any infiormation about the car. All records of the 1981 made in StLouis have been Lost! You know anything different? Anyone wants to e-mail me use SDA4651343@aol.com.
Dan :crazy

I have a 1981 made at St Louis. I have been told that because of that fact I cannot find any infiormation about the car. All records of the 1981 made in StLouis have been Lost! You know anything different?

Alllied-Vaughn can get you a copy of the original Dealer Wholesale Invoice for $50.00; has everything you want to know about how the car was built.

:beer

So, why can this sourse find out info about the build sheet when the factory cannot????:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom