Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Officially Started My Project This Morning

What happened to those gears from the old pump? It looks like metal shavings or sand has been going through it.

Tom

Good eye.. Typically gears are honed or ground and hardened. Pitting means cool, clean lubricant wasn't used..

Mikey,
Methinks the crew at CF got a bit rough on our resident troll..

The thread you referenced had the typical TBTR response:
No, I'm just trying to educate people. It was ignorant people who started these myths and ignorant people who perpetuate these myths.

Sound familiar? Yep, sure does... TBTR moves from forum to forum wasting people's time.

Last edited:
Will Post Pictures When I Finish My Heads

I am really hoping my intake valve guides will get delivered on Monday because I need them NOW. They're coming from Ohio via On Trac and they're no faster than UPS. I spent the whole day removing metal under the exhaust valve seats and I have been taking pictures of everything I do so I can share them with you guys. It takes a LOT of work to install larger valves AND removing the excess material under the valve seats. I am about 90% done with the exhaust valve seats so I'm making progress. Once I get the heads done I'll post the pictures of everything I did.

attachment.php

What happened to those gears from the old pump? It looks like metal shavings or sand has been going through it.

Tom

That was the Bon Ami/Boraxo/Comet or what ever he used he used to seat the rings...........

Need For Longer Pilots

I wish these Black & Decker pilots were about an inch longer because only about 2-1/2" of it supports the stone holder. Which means the stone holder and stone wobbles quit a bit. At a high speed the "top effect" straightens it out but it's unnerving to see how much it wobbles. The exhaust valve seats look real good and are clearly defined but I'll lap the valves to make sure of a positive seal. Hopefully my intake valve guides will arrive on tomorrow morning so I can get them installed and start in on the valve seat grinding. I cut the tops of the exhaust guides for the Teflon P.C. seals yesterday using my new $118 cutter. Gees, I remember when I bought my first cutter in the early 70's for about $40.

Held Up Until Parts Arrive

I am at a standstill until my intake valve guides arrive and I'm hoping they show up today. They're coming from Ohio and if they're traveling on On Trac they probably won't show up until at least mid week. I wish the vendors would ship via the postal service to speed the delivery time.

As we buy a lot from Amazon etc,. UPS is quicker.

Usually by a long shot.

USPS sucks, they make sure that you can't get your delivery if you can't get there during their small "open hours" window.

Good for international if you don't mind the extra time. Much cheaper than UPS.

Yeah I guess that is their one good point, they can be less expensive unless you need the product right away, which can cost you money.

Intake Valve Guides Finally Arrived

My intake valve guides finally showed up at noon so tomorrow morning I'll get an early start and get them installed. Once I get them installed and cut for the P.C. seals I can do the intake valve seat enlargement. And as before I'll take pictures as I go so I can share them with you so you can see what's involved in installing larger valves. It's a LOT of work but it'll produce a hefty power gain in the upper rpm's.

My new v-twin Harbor Freight air compressor pump will arrive via UPS on Friday so I'll be real busy clear into the weekend.

LLC5,
I believe it depends on location. Here UPS is quick. When I lived in "down east" NC, it was terrible. Out for delivery went on for days.
I'm buying consumer goods so fast isn't as important to me as others. That said, I'm buying from Amazon. Bought her a Food Saver vacuum sealer and it was here in 3 days.

Antz81,
I listen to shortwave radio. I bought a Tecsun PL-880 direct from China. They use FedEx and shipping time was very fast.

TBTR:
You aren't using your valve re-surfacing machine; how come?

LLC5,
I believe it depends on location. Here UPS is quick. When I lived in "down east" NC, it was terrible. Out for delivery went on for days.
I'm buying consumer goods so fast isn't as important to me as others. That said, I'm buying from Amazon. Bought her a Food Saver vacuum sealer and it was here in 3 days.

Antz81,
I listen to shortwave radio. I bought a Tecsun PL-880 direct from China. They use FedEx and shipping time was very fast.

TBTR:
You aren't using your valve re-surfacing machine; how come?

UPS is quick where I live too, it's the USPS that isn't and it sucks.

I love it how I cannot go get a package after 11:00 - 12:00 pm from the USPS on Saturday, BUT I get to see their USPS trucks running around my neighborhood on Sundays delivering Amazon mail. I gotta admit that I do I like Amazon's same day delivery service though.

For us Numpties outside the USofA, usually USPS is the cheaper option then UPS/FEDEX/DHL to get stuff from the US to 'over there'.. :)

Agreed, when i lived inside the country, UPS/FEDEX/DHL is a good option and USPS was mostly errr poooh<stinky>.

:w
Stefan</stinky>

Last edited:
Talk About Cutting It Close

I blasted into my intake valve seats first thing this morning and managed to get the last one ground.................and then my diamond took a crap. Yep, I wore it the rest of the way out. So I just ordered two new ones from India for only $43 (that is cheap). I also managed to get the valve pockets hogged out with my carbide cutter so all of the machine work is done. I just need to make a final check of the valve guide lengths to make sure the retainers don't collide with the Teflon valve stem seals at full lift. After I eat lunch I'll continue with smoothing the grinding marks with a stone and Dremel and lap all of the valves to their seats. Things are progressing nicely. With luck my crankshaft will be done by tomorrow afternoon so I can assemble the short block tomorrow.

I'll post the pictures maybe tomorrow.

UPS is quick where I live too, it's the USPS that isn't and it sucks.

I love it how I cannot go get a package after 11:00 - 12:00 pm from the USPS on Saturday, BUT I get to see their USPS trucks running around my neighborhood on Sundays delivering Amazon mail. I gotta admit that I do I like Amazon's same day delivery service though.

I try to avoid USPS whenever possible. At the local PO. the sign on the door states closed at 5pm. So why was the door locked at 4:20?
So very true, the only time I've ever seen a USPS jeep{?) on Sunday was delivering from Amazon.

I like Amazon because I can buy what I can't get locally.

TBTR
Cheap tools break.

To be honest, I can't wait to see pictures of your latest.

Tell Me It's Not True

When I was hogging out the intake valve pocket of cylinder #6 my carbide burr broke thru the wall in two places. The wall appears to be pretty solid above, below, and to the sides of the holes so it may be a casting flaw that can be plugged with epoxy. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I do some additional grinding in the holes. I'm fortunate it's in the intake pocket where the temperature is a lot cooler.

When I was hogging out the intake valve pocket of cylinder #6 my carbide burr broke thru the wall in two places. The wall appears to be pretty solid above, below, and to the sides of the holes so it may be a casting flaw that can be plugged with epoxy. I'll know more tomorrow morning when I do some additional grinding in the holes. I'm fortunate it's in the intake pocket where the temperature is a lot cooler.

Yeah, it's a casting flaw. It's not you not knowing what you are doing.

Ignorance is bliss.

Casting Flaws

I took a little pin punch and a small ball peen hammer and "pecked" all around and inside the two holes and the metal "rings" like a bell; indicating the metal surrounding the holes is solid. Then I filled the holes with gasoline and it didn't leak thru which indicates the holes have a bottom. I'm going to sandblast the holes and fill them with epoxy. My #7 cylinder also has about a dozen tiny pock marks because of casting flaws but yet this block has at least 200,000+ miles on it with no issues.

I'm hoping my new Harbor Freight air compressor pump arrives today because I really need compressed air for the work I'm doing.

I took a little pin punch and a small ball peen hammer and "pecked" all around and inside the two holes and the metal "rings" like a bell; indicating the metal surrounding the holes is solid. Then I filled the holes with gasoline and it didn't leak thru which indicates the holes have a bottom. I'm going to sandblast the holes and fill them with epoxy. My #7 cylinder also has about a dozen tiny pock marks because of casting flaws but yet this block has at least 200,000+ miles on it with no issues.

I'm hoping my new Harbor Freight air compressor pump arrives today because I really need compressed air for the work I'm doing.

The flaws in your engine are not your major issues here.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom