Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Officially Started My Project This Morning

Air Compressor Pump JUST Shipped?

I ordered my Harbor Freight air compressor pump on October 7th and it JUST shipped this morning. I have had very good luck ordering Harbor Freight tools in the past and they always shipped from this state but for some reason this air compressor pump is shipping from South Carolina via Fed Ex. But yet I was charged sales tax which made me assume it was shipping from California.

Charging sales tax for the state you reside in is what they usually do.

I thought that sales tax was charged any time that you purchase from a company that has a business or store in the state you reside in.

LLC5
It all began with TBTR being charged California sales tax on an item shipped from South Carolina.

this air compressor pump is shipping from South Carolina via Fed Ex. But yet I was charged sales tax which made me assume it was shipping from California.

I'm pretty sure you are correct about how it is supposed to work.

Long Wait

I need to enlarge most of the seats another 1/16" but I don't have a diamond dresser at the moment. I ordered two thru E-Bay but they're coming from New Delhi India and it'll take about a month for them to arrive. I just sent an e-mail to the seller; asking if they could send them to me via air mail and for how much? I found at least 100 listings in the internet for diamond dressers and they ALL come from the same seller in India. In the meantime I made another dresser out of a grade 8 bolt then hardened it and I'll see if it'll work. The ceramic of a spark plug would probably work but I don't know how I could mount it solid enough to work.

The Obvious High RPM Breathing Advantage Of A Hemi

As I have been working on my low performance closed chamber heads I keep thinking about how superior a HEMI is when it comes to high rpm breathing. Right after Mopar unleashed it's 426" HEMI the NASCAR officials were quick to mandate restriction plates to limit the power they made to keep racing more interesting. Chevrolet and Ford fans would have lost interest and quit attending if MOPAR dominated all of the circle track racing.

The larger valves will boost my engine's performance at street rpm levels and that's all I care about. Plus it gives me something to occupy my time and as I don't frequent bars or chase women. I'll try my grade 8 "dresser" this afternoon and see if it is able to dress stones. If not I'll just have to wait the month it takes for my new dressers to arrive. I had thought about buying a new dresser when I bought my valve seat grinding equipment but felt it would have been a waste of money because of the equipment being used only for home projects. A decision I now regret because I need it to finish my heads. Oh well.

I found at least 100 listings in the internet for diamond dressers and they ALL come from the same seller in India.

Maybe on Ebay they all come from India.

Go to your favorite search engine enter diamond dresser.

MSC Industrial Supply and others are made in the US .

I keep thinking about how superior a HEMI is when it comes to high rpm breathing. Right after Mopar unleashed it's 426" HEMI the NASCAR officials were quick to mandate restriction plates to limit the power they made to keep racing more interesting. Chevrolet and Ford fans would have lost interest and quit attending if MOPAR dominated all of the circle track racing.

The Hemi won 26 of 62 races.

Why the preoccupation with justice? Well, after Hemis dominated the nation’s stock-car tracks in 1964, winning 26 of 62 races, NASCAR patriarch Bill France told Chrysler its powerful new engine would be ineligible for the 1965 NASCAR season. Not for technological reasons, but because it wasn’t readily available in cars from Dodge or Plymouth assembly lines, “readily” being the key concept. France had done the same thing to Ford just before the 1964 Daytona 500, ruling that Ford’s new OHC 427 wasn’t eligible because it wasn’t a production engine and would cost too much for the average person to buy.
http://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/2015/09/30/the-1965-hemi-ban-from-nascar/

In 1992, when the Busch Grand National series began racing at Talladega, the plates were implemented, in keeping with their use at Daytona. NASCAR's concerns with speeds because of power-to-weight ratios result in restrictor plates at other tracks.
Restrictor plate - Wikipedia

As the Hemi was ineligible in 1965. Restrictor plates were implemented in 1992. Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about.

New Cam Bearings Ordered

My cam bearings had .003" wear so I pulled them out and ordered a new set. I made a cam bearing driver this morning and it worked great. Now I just need the new ones and my crankshaft so I can assemble the short block.

.001" is common due misalignment during machining.

.003" is the result of your performance cam and .004" is typical of racing engines.

Harbor Freight Air Compressor Pump

My new v-twin Harbor Freight air compressor pump will arrive on Wednesday and it'll really help for those times when I am using my air-powered die grinder or A/C vacuum pump. It'll deliver 1-1/2 times the volume of my old pump so it should suit my needs. Like horsepower you can never have enough air volume when you're using air tools.

My cam bearings will arrive this morning and if my crankshaft is done I can build my short block. But if my crankshaft isn't done at least I can get the cam bearings installed. For some reason the big blocks use three different sizes of cam bearings and the front bearing is also 1/8" narrower than the other four.

And the pictures I promised you? They're coming in the near future.

My new v-twin Harbor Freight air compressor pump will arrive tomorrow morning so as soon as it arrives I'll get it mounted and plumbed. I installed my cam bearings this afternoon so all I need is my reconditioned crankshaft to be able to assemble my short block. With luck I might be able to have my '71 back on the road in another week or so.

My new v-twin Harbor Freight air compressor pump will arrive tomorrow morning so as soon as it arrives I'll get it mounted and plumbed.

Is your shop already plumbed for air and you're just upgrading the compressor? I've kept my compressor portable but I was considering plumbing it in... I'm just not sure whether it's worth the trouble or not.

Mac

My new v-twin Harbor Freight compressor pump arrived this morning and it's HUGE as compared to my old inline twin pump. I got it mounted just before I came in for lunch and after lunch I'll see what I have to do to get the engine mounted. At the very worst I would have to remove the gas tank and mount it behind the engine. Hopefully I can just extend the adjustment slots another inch or so. The additional output volume of this pump will really be appreciated because I use air tools often.

Mac,
You can plumb the shop and keep the compressor portable. Plumb the shop and add a fitting to the permanent air lines by the compressor. In my situation, I needed the compressor to blow out the water lines in the camper. This way undo one quick disconnect and away it went to the camper. Bring it home and reconnect it to the permanent lines.

TBTR
Is it 1 cylinders or 2 stage?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom