Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Officially Started My Project This Morning

Complaint To Summit Racing

I am going to e-mail a complaint to Summit Racing; telling them about my 13 to 14 HOUR installation because of their motor mounts. In the end I managed to get my engine set onto it's mounts but I had to modify the new motor mounts so they would work. I just have to install my new dip stick tube, pulleys, fan, HEI, and a few other odds and ends. It usually takes me 6 hours to install and engine but this one is taking around 13-14 hours because of those new motor mounts.

The new motor mounts had a piece of polyurethane that prevented the engine from sitting all the way down. I had to rip that piece of excess polyurethane off and THEN my engine would BARELY sit all the way down. I had to "screw" the bolts in because even the full weight of the engine bearing down on the mounts wasn't enough weight. This is the longest engine installation I have ever done.

Attachments

• Summit Racing Motor Mounts 012.jpg
    Summit Racing Motor Mounts 012.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Summit Racing Motor Mounts 016.jpg
    Summit Racing Motor Mounts 016.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Not sure if you ordered the wrong mounts or were just sent the wrong ones, but from what I can tell summit racing don't offer polyurethane mounts for a 454 big block in a 71 vette.

Not Yet

I just made an attempt to start it and found it's one tooth advanced. My battery is low so I have my trickle charger on it and I have already retarded my HEI one tooth. My starter solenoid is also giving up on me but I have a new one in stock. I'll change it tomorrow morning. My new dip stick tube is about 10" longer than my old one and it's a lot easier to get to.

My new dip stick tube is about 10" longer than my old one and it's a lot easier to get to.

That's great, now you can put in 10" more oil in your oil pan.

That's great, now you can put in 10" more oil in your oil pan.

You have a sense of humor.

My C5 was down for quite a while to add the blower etc. However, it had less dust than TBTR's had in the picture he posted. I've seen better looking barn finds.

Finally Done

I got it started and ran it at a fast idle for 30 minutes while checking for leaks or anything else unusual. With the new piston rings I had to turn my idle speed screw down an additional 3/4 turn because of the increased friction. I washed the outside and tomorrow morning I'll clean the inside before I take it to the valley to run a few errands. It's been a big job and I'm glad it's finally over so I can drive it again. Now it'll be interesting to see how far it goes on a quart of oil and I'll bet it will go a lot further than the 400 miles it was getting!

Sorry for the smudge on the picture. When I saw that I used a couple of Q-Tips to clean the camera lens and found it had something on it. Should be okay now.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 008 (3).jpg
    1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 008 (3).jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 91
80 psi @ 2000 rpm

My rebuilt engine has 80 psi at 2000 rpm so it's certainly not lacking oil pressure. Now I'm curious about how far it'll go on a quart of oil and I'll bet it'll go a LOT further than 400 miles it was getting before with the "no name" piston rings. After my experience with no name piston rings I recommend NEVER buying a piston and ring set unless you're getting BRAND NAME rings.

My rebuilt engine has 80 psi at 2000 rpm so it's certainly not lacking oil pressure. Now I'm curious about how far it'll go on a quart of oil and I'll bet it'll go a LOT further than 400 miles it was getting before with the "no name" piston rings. After my experience with no name piston rings I recommend NEVER buying a piston and ring set unless you're getting BRAND NAME rings.

So what exactly did you name these piston rings?

So what exactly did you name these piston rings?
In no particular order, there is:

Dasher
Dancer
Prancer
Vixen
Comet
Cupid
Donner
Blitzen

And when they all pull together, the motor really flies.... :chuckle

Mac

One Thing Bothered Me

When I was enlarging my intake seats I ran into two casting flaws. I filled them with gasoline to see if they leaked and the gasoline stayed there; indicating the holes had a bottom. I ended up sandblasting the holes and filling them with epoxy while I was heating the area with a hair dryer. I have two hours running time on my engine with no problems so they must have been bubbles in the casting. My #8 cylinder also has a bunch of "bubbles" as you can see in the 2nd picture. This block has been bored .030" oversize and has many miles on it and the defects haven't been any problem.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 031.jpg
    1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 031.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 033.jpg
    1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 033.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 92
I suspect those flaws in the cylinder walls are allowing oil to get past the rings. Id never put new rings on that cylinder wall. If it couldn't be cleaned up with an over bore it needs sleeved. I fear that you have not fixed your oil consumption and it wasn't the rings after all.

Tom

When I was enlarging my intake seats I ran into two casting flaws. I filled them with gasoline to see if they leaked and the gasoline stayed there; indicating the holes had a bottom. I ended up sandblasting the holes and filling them with epoxy while I was heating the area with a hair dryer. I have two hours running time on my engine with no problems so they must have been bubbles in the casting. My #8 cylinder also has a bunch of "bubbles" as you can see in the 2nd picture. This block has been bored .030" oversize and has many miles on it and the defects haven't been any problem.

Only one thing bothered you in those photos?

I see at least three.

Those hot hot spots on the cylinder wall will not let your rings seat properly, and the holes in the cylinder head are just plain ridiculous.

As I stated earlier, you need another engine builder.

Now What Can I Do?

Now that I have finished my Oakie rebuild (didn't bore it) I need something new to do. I'll drive it easy for about 1000 miles and then see how much better (if any) it performs. With the larger valves it should pull harder above 5000 rpm. My new Harbor Freight air compressor pump is making an unusual sound from the left cylinder and I suspect it already has a intake reed valve problem. I'll contact Harbor Freight and ask them what they want to do. I've only had it for about 8-9 days so they should warranty it.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 001 (4).jpg
    1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 001 (4).jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 002 (4).jpg
    1971 Corvette Engine Rebuild October 2016 002 (4).jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 75
I'll contact Harbor Freight and ask them what they want to do. I've only had it for about 8-9 days so they should warranty it.

Not if they've read any of your posts.

And TBTR isnt listening again to anything anyone says..
Not that anyone has to, but whats the point of coming here? Spreading doubtful "wisdom"? Dunno..
I'll unsubscribe from this thread and put TBTR on my ignore list. Not that he will read that, care or be bothered. :eyerole

I admit to admire the ones who continue to try and advise. ;)

:w
Stefan

I think we all know he won't listen. It's more so that no one follows his advice without knowing the danger.

Exactly.

Harbor Freight Air Compressor Pump

Wow, I can't believe the difference this new compressor pump makes when I'm using my air tools. I blew my garage out this morning and my new pump kept up with my blow gun. Then I did some sandblasting and it kept up with that. The old Harbor Freight inline twin cylinder pumps were made in two versions; the common`2-3/4" X 1-1/2" bore/stroke and an uncommon 3" X 1-1/2" bore/stroke. The larger pump used a heavier duty crankshaft but otherwise looked almost identical. This new v-twin pump has a 1-1/2" diameter crankshaft and larger bore and stroke giving it a 1-1/2 times increase in output. Being a v-twin it vibrates a lot more because the compression cycles aren't spaced 180 degrees apart like the inline twins so it goes pump pump.................pump pump.................pump pump................pump pump.

I just installed a new starter solenoid on my '71. It has been engaging but not spinning because the contacts were burned. On a cold start I can't see any smoke at all which is a good sign. I'll NEVER buy "no name" piston rings again because they are almost certainly made in China.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom