Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If I was Dave Hill: How I would have designed the New Z06

Chevy did do a good job of visually breaking up the rear of the C6 to minimize the big butt look of the C5.

I do believe that the C6 hinnie is about the same height as the C5's but looks smaller.

Gee, GM should go into designing women's jeans, whoops, did I say that? ;LOL

EttevroC, Nice job on your design. :upthumbs It looks really smooth and flows with the rest of the body. I particuarlly like the rear spoiler. I was for the pop up headlights when the C6 first came out, but now I have grown onto its new design. Having fixed headlights really gives you less to worry about like the motors and other moving parts. I have a 91 firebird and when my motors act up, they are a pain to fix even though they are easily accessible. Anyway, the new headlights seems to improve aerodynamics a little and raise the top speed to 186 (well sort of) :L, but they give the vette a little of a european look. I agree that the molding could of been a different color emcompassing the headlights. As for the "rear end" of the C6, I think it has a little more booty than last year ;LOLjust my thoughts. :w

Thank, I know what you mean about popups; I’ve owned a Firebird, Fiero and now a Vette, and had reservation about what to do in case of the dreaded stuck closed headlight. I never experienced a problem with the Firebird but I only owned that car for 2 years, but I did have a problem with the Fiero and was able to fix it on my own.

I know what could solve the popup vs exposed headlights; I read a while back about paint that changed colors when an electric charge was added. One of the applications stated was use on sunroofs. If one would use it on the exposed headlights instead, you could have the best of both worlds and it would go hand in hand with Corvette’s tradition of using state of the art features.

Ok 1st the front intake is bad on there, 2nd I like a Vette with the exposed headlights, and 3rd the hood should stay the C-6 way! But I wish the rear end was like the C-4 ZR-1! Now that would be a nice Vette!

EttevroC said:
I realize that aerodynamics have a lot to do with today’s designs, but the funny thing is that the coefficient of drag for the C4 and C6 is not that much different, especially between the C5 and C6. From what I’ve read, frontal area is just as important or even more so than total CoD in terms of efficiency. For me, when it is all said and done, I would rather see a radical design than a evolutionary design.

Actually, c4 to c6 CD is HUGELY diffferent. C5 to C6 is still an amazing improvement. Yes, the frontal area is just as important --- CdA is what is used, and the frontal area on the vette's has increased. So just imagine that the c6 had the CD of the c4, it would barely hit 160, or worse.

Vette Dawg said:
To me, the C5 is almost a perfect 10. The big bootie kills it and sends it back to 9.5 not much difference huh? L

I take it you're a bootie man?:L

Edmond said:
The thing about the C5 that just can't grow on me is the big butt. I like big butts and I cannot lie but the C5 butt is just too much butt for me.:L
You other Vette owners can't deny...When a Vette rolls in with an itty bitty waist and a BIG TAIL in yo face, you get sprung?;LOL :crazy

Sorry Edmond...I just had to complete your "thoughts" ;)

theflinger said:
Actually, c4 to c6 CD is HUGELY diffferent. C5 to C6 is still an amazing improvement. Yes, the frontal area is just as important --- CdA is what is used, and the frontal area on the vette's has increased. So just imagine that the c6 had the CD of the c4, it would barely hit 160, or worse.

I disagree that the C6 with its superior HP to the original C4 would have its top speed be so penalized if its Cd was the same as the C4.

I guess the best example would be with a ZR-1 w/405 hp, essentially the same Cd as a standard C4, and its top speed is rated at just shy of 180.

FYI

"The all-new Corvette C4 has a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.34, a 24-percent aerodynamic improvement over its predecessor." The Car Connection

"The new Corvette (1997) rolls into showrooms with a coefficient of drag rating of 0.29," Autoguide.com

"Thanks to more than 400 hours in the wind tunnel, the shape of the exterior has been optimized for a drag coefficient of .28." Corvette Museum

"Aerodynamic Resistance: Factors affecting Aerodynamic resistance:
•Shape -frontal area -accounts for 80% of Ra
Utah State Un. College of Engineering. Road Vehicle Performance

I tend to agree that the C6 looks better than the lumpy, zaftig C5; it's leaner and more athletic. I don't mean to offend C5 owners since this is just my opinion, but the C5 never grew on me. There was never a time when I looked at a C5 and thought "wow, that's a beautiful car" the same way I say it about all other Corvette models. Even a beat-up 70s shark has a kind of graceful beauty that the marshmallowy C5 will never have. That said, I do wish the C6 had concealed headlights, I think the car would look better. Without them, some of the mystique is gone from the car. I do believe that the C6 convertible is one of the most beautiful Corvettes ever designed, and I wouldn't change a thing (except for the headlights). The more I look at it, the more I like it, from some angles the lower lip in front is very stylish, the way it echoes the bumper above it. I like the front grille too, and the arched fenders, the way they cut into the doors. It took me a while to get used to the funny-looking rear end, but it kinda grows on you.

tyrel said:
I tend to agree that the C6 looks better than the lumpy, zaftig C5; it's leaner and more athletic. I don't mean to offend C5 owners since this is just my opinion, but the C5 never grew on me. There was never a time when I looked at a C5 and thought "wow, that's a beautiful car" the same way I say it about all other Corvette models. Even a beat-up 70s shark has a kind of graceful beauty that the marshmallowy C5 will never have. That said, I do wish the C6 had concealed headlights, I think the car would look better. Without them, some of the mystique is gone from the car. I do believe that the C6 convertible is one of the most beautiful Corvettes ever designed, and I wouldn't change a thing (except for the headlights). The more I look at it, the more I like it, from some angles the lower lip in front is very stylish, the way it echoes the bumper above it. I like the front grille too, and the arched fenders, the way they cut into the doors. It took me a while to get used to the funny-looking rear end, but it kinda grows on you.

No offense taken. It took some time for the C5 to grow on me and if it had not been for the Z-06 I would never have owned one. Now I will say that I have never liked the looks of the C3. No offense to the C3 gang but the C3 just never did anything for me. They are OK cars in my book and yet they are still Corvettes and when the C3 was introduced they brought something special to the table. I've heard some vette fans say that they stopped building real vettes when they started with the C3 (no solid axels). I've even heard that same line with the C4, C5, and the C6.

I don't see much difference between the C5's butt and the C6's butt. Maybe I'll measure them to see what the difference is...if any. I will say that there is a hugh difference between the C1 and the C5. Some will say that comparing the C1 with the C5 is like comparing apples to oranges. Well yes it is. But we are also comparing Apples to Oranges when we compare any of the generations with one another. The C6 has a completely different engine than the C5. The C6 has different body componets when compaired to the C5. One would expect to see a difference between each generation. I think that is the bases and thinking of the engineers for designing a new generation.

I think it all boils down to each of our own personal likes and dislikes. To me I don't see enough change in the C6 that would cause me to rob the piggy bank and go buy one. I do like the new Z-06. I have the means to buy one if i truly wanted one bad enough. But other than a different engine and more ponies under the hood, I don't see the reason to rush out to buy one just yet. I am very happy with my Z and I am also very happy with my C4. Even though it is just a plain-jane '86 coupe that i have invested more money into than I care to mention. The C4 was for me the best looking body of all the vettes. But again that is MY opinion. Everytime I stoop-down in front of it and look up the hood I see the reason for spending the money that I have and it still brings a smile :) to my face when I take it out on the road.

Cheers guys:beer , good discussion.

H.D.

EttevroC said:
I disagree that the C6 with its superior HP to the original C4 would have its top speed be so penalized if its Cd was the same as the C4.

I guess the best example would be with a ZR-1 w/405 hp, essentially the same Cd as a standard C4, and its top speed is rated at just shy of 180.

FYI

"The all-new Corvette C4 has a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.34, a 24-percent aerodynamic improvement over its predecessor." The Car Connection

"The new Corvette (1997) rolls into showrooms with a coefficient of drag rating of 0.29," Autoguide.com

"Thanks to more than 400 hours in the wind tunnel, the shape of the exterior has been optimized for a drag coefficient of .28." Corvette Museum

"Aerodynamic Resistance: Factors affecting Aerodynamic resistance:
•Shape -frontal area -accounts for 80% of Ra
Utah State Un. College of Engineering. Road Vehicle Performance

I know where you're coming from. I don't understand the Zr-1 myself. About accounting for 80% of Ra, I don't even know what Ra is, but I know that the formula for aerodynamic drag in horsepower is F = CdAV^3/150,000. As you can see, cd and area have the same importance

:beer

best of both

my opinion for the headlights is unsure..the C6 is cool, but a corvette is known for pop up headlites. mayb Gm shoulda looked at "hidden" where they are body color plastic then when the litses turn on they become kinda transparant and the lite shines though. just a thought iunno if possible, im just a kid. as for options they shoulda have a strip down package of no A/C no power windows no radio no nothing, pure performance, remind of the the late C2s to a point no radio no comfort--just POWER. thats my 2 cents and i think the overall C6 is cool and the Z06 is at the top of the WANT list but my lt4 is at the top of the have list.

Thanks. License plate, I need no stinkin license plate, just kidding officer. :D

One thing I always thought would make the C5 and C6 look better would be to lose the gill cutting into the door. I've never liked that style very much. From about 1964 to 1996, the gills were contained to the panel in front of the door. I feel this gave the side more style. Otherwise, the cut-in is the dominating style element.

I like the C6, though. I like the curvier fenders on the top, and the return to the flared out edges on the Z06. I always liked that on the C4 how they flare out on the sides.

I agree, I like the fender flares on the new Z06; it gives it a little more personality and muscle. I don't mind the side vents so much, I just wish they didn't copy the Vipers.

I do believe that the C6 will go down as one of the more popular designs because of it's better length to width ratio and more expressive character lines. Heck I would even accept the exposed headlights if they used the ones they incorporated in the C6-R. :eek

If I had been in a coma for the last 10 years and knew absolutely nothing about the C5 and C6 and saw the cars setting side by side I would think that the C6 is the old model and the C5 was the refinement!:beer

Ok gang, here's the final version of how I would have liked the "New Vette" to look. I tried to make it look like a modern version of C2 without being too obvious. When I have the time I will create a view from the rear of the car.

I appreciate all of the comments, positive and negative, this has been fun conversing about car designs. Cheers!
:beer

Z06_Custom%20Racing%20Gold%202.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom