Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modifications

To what extent will you/do you modify your Shark?

• None (stock, #s matching)

Votes: 46 17.5%
  • Appearance (paint, wheels, etc.)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • Mild performance (add-ons, under 100 hp gain)

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • Average performance (high performance components: engine, tranny, etc.)

Votes: 84 31.9%
  • Nothing is stock

Votes: 43 16.3%

• Total voters
Sounds really slick Carnal. I have a 383 in my Cobra Kit car and I have been trying to decide if I want to tweak it up a bit or install a 496 I'm rebuilding! I was thinking AFR heads and a roller cam for the 383. The 496 has Edelbrock RPM Marine oval port heads and a Crane hyd roller. I built the 496 for the Vette but it got side tracked and ended up in my 1990 454SS for awhile! The oil pressure had dropped on it a bit so when I pulled it I checked the bottom end. It was bad! The rear main was real bad, got the crank and block, I'm still not sure what happened, the crank was a blem (stay away from Flatlander Racing!) but it was supposed to be fixed! I got a good 4 bolt block and I'm going with a Scat 4.25" and maybe a solid roller. I picked up a 572/620 for the Vette.

Al

Hey Lightning,

Thanks for the kind words:

I've been around a number of Cobra replicas, including my buddy Jim's, who had, believe it or not, an over-head cam small block Chevy stroker. The cam conversion was made by a guy in the central valley of CA (can't think of his name off hand), but that car was BRUTAL. If you want to see somethin outrageous in Cobras, check out www.cuttingedgereplicas.com .

I tell ya, with all you can do to a small block these days, including getting near 460ci, I'd stick with the small block in the cobra and put the BB in the Vette (IMHO).

The only stat I neglected to include in my post was regarding the cam, which is a billet Comp solid roller (app. 600/270@.050) topped by Harlan Sharp roller rockers, actuating Comp double springs with dampers.

Twin-Turbo Insanity

Hey Twin-Turbo,

I just went back through the entire thread (I skipped straight to the end to post) and could not believe the magic you're performing on your Vette; I LOVE IT!!

Don't know where your US contacts for parts are, but if you need someone on the west coast (CA) to assist, feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do to assist.

I don't have any particularly good contacts for special pricing (my local shop will order and match prices on anything Summit/Jegs/PAW advertises) but as a wholesale distributor I do ship freight regularly (both direct and via forwarders), so I might be able to assist.

Thanks for the compliments. I've got the shipping dilemma pretty well nailed down, I have several buddies who store stuff for me and there's a guy here in NL that has a container shipping stuff from the US to here, all the large parts go via him and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the offer

Marck

Looks dead stock expect for my alloy wheels from a late '70's Vette, she'll walk a C6 to 130MPH on a roll off (In a Very Scary Straight Line Only).

Headers
custom exhaust
LARGE pusher fan
aluminum intake
GM Crate ZZ383 425/460 with aluminum heads / roller cam
electronic ignition conversion in stock distributor
Modified TH400 w/high stall converter
Stainless calipers
gas shocks
R134a (sorry I did that one)
Brighter yellow than stock (in case the cops couldn't see it already)
Saratogas
wheels

Most everything has been replaced at one point or another from being worn out, crashed or on fire. I try to keep it mostly GM when ever possible.

Dad bought the car new when I was a kid, I'm not preserving it for anyone it's just mine. My family have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands.

Numbers do not match!

My '71 has 1979 exterior mirrors and a 1972 shifter console which eliminated the fiber optic components. I intend to replace the fiber optic components, but will probably keep the 79 mirrors as I like their appearance. Other than those mods, the car is bone stock, numbers-matching and in excellent condidtion. :)

I have a 94 that is totally stock.
I have 3 that are total customs, called Maco Sharks.
I have played this game for 30+ years and have done the NCRS frame off deal. As I get older, I decided to play with the ones that make me happy, not the ones that are built to someone elses specs. Not flaming, just my .02.
Your car, your choice.

3 Sharks said:
I have played this game for 30+ years and have done the NCRS frame off deal. As I get older, I decided to play with the ones that make me happy, not the ones that are built to someone elses specs. Not flaming, just my .02.
Your car, your choice.

I couldn't have said that better.

proracr said:
My '71 has 1979 exterior mirrors and a 1972 shifter console which eliminated the fiber optic components. I intend to replace the fiber optic components, but will probably keep the 79 mirrors as I like their appearance. Other than those mods, the car is bone stock, numbers-matching and in excellent condidtion. :)

If the fiber optic harness is gone and you go to the trouble and expense of putting it back you are going to be disappointed, they barely worked when new. Mine work but only if it's dark outside, during daylight I can't see them. When I was a kid my dad made fun of them in the early '70s when the car was near new and the worked perfectly.

3 Sharks said:
Your car, your choice.

Hey 3 sharks! Welcome aboard!

This is what I work on in my spare time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/810541. I can't stand to have anything stock. Even my wife's '75 is about to fall from stock to an engine exchange, exhaust, and other cosmetics, although I will put everything coming out on the shelf. To each your own.
:beer

Hey Marv.............Nice pics of the widebody!!!

Andy

smrtmblues said:
Hey 3 sharks! Welcome aboard!

This is what I work on in my spare time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/810541. I can't stand to have anything stock. Even my wife's '75 is about to fall from stock to an engine exchange, exhaust, and other cosmetics, although I will put everything coming out on the shelf. To each your own.
:beer

I wouldn't ever do anything to hurt my Corvettes originality. Keep them stock, that's what I say!

3029.jpg

You have taken that lightening thing waaaay too serious ;) :D

Hi you all
I am new here but love all the mod and custom guys.That is what I have done to my 78 and have loved it. There is something special when you have a car that is your own and not some stock factory production.I do like the older vettes but with these high production ones you can have some fun.
Mine has a 350- 430hp motor with the dyno sheet,it is balanced and blueprinted,Dart pro1 aluminum heads,high flow water pump,new three core rad.with duel electric fans, it is a full roller with stud girdle and the edlebrock proflow fuel injection system awesome power.
Rear duel mount mono along with the front mono.Heavy duty rear strut rods front hvy duty tie rod sleeves and ball joints.shocks are bilstein,power steering is all new along with most everything else.
Transmisson TCI turbo 350 streetfighter with 2500 stall and flexplate,alum.fined pan.
Rear end 3.70 gears hvy duty cover.Half shafts new with hvy duty u joints.The trailing arms completely rebuilt with all new parts and poly bushings.
Gas tank restored with compression fittings fuel lines are braided.
Interior all new including the dash,added pace car leather seats,and much more
Exterior has a 80 rear bumper and taillights,fixed headlights with two sets of lexon covers one is clear the other painted to give a stock look.High rise hood front spoiler,new front windshield,all the molding is powder coated.T-top chrome molding removed along with all the badges and antenna to give a real sleek clean look.
Exhaust custom duels with spin tech mufflers h pipe.sounds like a big block.
Paint custom jade type green with silver and gold pearl and a true wet look everyone loves it.
There is more of coarse but getting tired the car has three first places in its class at some large vette shows. I do not have time to drive it and besides I went a lot farther then I planed.I may put the car up for sale because I want to do another.That is what is great with customs you can come up with so many ideas.All the best to all.

Joe78: Welcome aboard!! This is your first post...of many to come and you will find this forum has some real friendly folks. Take time to check out this site and read about the cars these folks have, because there are some real interesting ones.

You've done so much work to your '78 and have had no time to drive it? Have you had enough time in the seat to know whether the front and rear mono leafs are a good thing and would you do it again?

Well, gotta get to work...good to see you are here!

Thanks Smrtmblues
I have driven it enough tuning etc. and have let loose all the hp at a standing stop a few times the duel mt.mono worked great I love the car with the front and rear set up and dont forget the weight loss, and ugly front coils gone you can also lift or lower 1-3 inches and adjustdifferant ride conditions .I also used there upgraded upper and lower a arms.Take care

I modified my car even more since my last post in this thread...current state, 99.9999% modified :) :D

quick remove rear clip
rearclip1.jpg

fuel cell, rear roll cage (passenger area section not welded in yet)
rearclip8.jpg

rearclip9.jpg

rearclip10.jpg

rear clip back on

rearclip11.jpg

top shot:
top1.jpg

I modified my car even more since my last post in this thread...current state, 99.9999% modified :) :D

quick remove rear clip
rearclip1.jpg

fuel cell, rear roll cage (passenger area section not welded in yet)
rearclip8.jpg

rearclip9.jpg

rearclip10.jpg

rear clip back on

rearclip11.jpg

top shot:
top1.jpg
With all that stuff, I am surprised you kept the Dana 44.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom