Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Corvette won't squeel tires on take off !!!

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi,

I tried a few times in front of my house to do a burn out at take off. The Vette won't spin the tires. It was bogging the engine instead of turning those wheels.

I know some of you will say. why the hell you want to do a burnout. Well the simple answer for this is. FOR FUN !! Everybody likes a burnout and now I can't and it's embarassing!

Some of you will probably say. let go the clutch quick and give alot of gas. but I don't want to break anything. Would be alot easier if I could let go the clutch smootly and then just by flooring it , the car would start to spin the tires.

Alot of people told me that vette's were built for speed and take off. Because of the indepedent suspension. It makes it pretty hard to spin tires cause it's causing the car to drop and putting some weight on the tires so it sticks to the pavement and goes.

The reason I think it won't spin is because I have Gear Ratio of 3.08's and 255/60 R15 tires. they are wide and brand new tires. so they stick pretty good.

I am currently discussing with someone here on CAC via PM to purchase his 3.70's ring and pinion but still waiting for him to write me back. I might buy those gears from him.

I have close to 300 HP and more than 300 torque in my engine, 4 speed manual transmission with 3.08 rear end ratio on Brand new BF Goodrich Radial TA 255/60R15. The car run's really good, very fast on highway and good acceleration.

Do you guy's think my problem is with gear ratio or Am I to soft on my Car?

I'm about to make a really nice video of my car and it would be a real shame if I cannot include a few burnouts in that video. I can easily do donuts but can't take off on a burnout. Please Help me !!!!!! Please !!!!

Were you in 1st or 2nd gear when you tried to take off. Make the pavement wet under the tires, itll make much, much more smoke then dry.
Good Luck, lookin forword to that video
zachh

Were you in 1st or 2nd gear when you tried to take off. Make the pavement wet under the tires, itll make much, much more smoke then dry.
Good Luck, lookin forword to that video
zachh

I was in first gear when I've tried. when the pavement is wet like when it's raining. It will spin for sure, cause I wanted to show my brother what the car had for power one day that it was raining and in 2nd gear it was spinning.

But what I want is to spin even when dry and I couldn't do it in first gear.

Just floor it and dump the clutch. Something will give.

Just floor it and dump the clutch. Something will give.
Hahahaha... :eyerole

What RPM's are you releasing the clutch? You are likely just feathering the clutch too much which will only wear it out faster. Work on bringing up the RPM's and releasing the clutch at the same time. You'll eventually get it.

EVO's right. You'll get it. Mine is very close to stock and I can burn out with ease...

Your problem is simple. YOU NEED MORE HORSE POWER!

My Vette wouldn't hardly break loose the Eagle GT's with the L48 and dry pavement. The L48 sure would burn the crappy ass tires these cars came with though.

Now I can burn 'em till I let off the gas (and I do that because I can :)).

When you do your first really big burn outs in your Vette you should find a big empty parking lot. The early cars (like yours) can get mighty loose in the tail, all of the sudden the tail will come around and drag you into the nearest curb, planter or light pole. It's entirely unexpected and just scares the crap out you, you're just sitting there mindlessly frying the **** out of your tires, you let off the gas and then the fun begins!

Years ago I rented a 1979 (or so) L82 to learn how to burn outs and I read an article from Greenwood on how to deal with the car when it breaks loose, that was very helpful.

I've been backwards a number of times in the Vette. :eek:hnoes

Koop, he's not running a stock L48. It's been modified. Even so, with a manual trans, one should be able to break the tires free on a stock L48...unless it's really in bad shape.

Mine breaks free from a stand still with an automatic and a few minor mods..:w

I have to admit, the last time I tried to do a burny with my L48, it was all stock and MIGHTY tired.

Hey, I just thought of something else that will help you light 'em up...
Overinflate the tires to lessen the contact patch. 38-40 psi or so should do ya. Just be sure to take it back down when you're done.

My old stock L-48 used to burn em pretty good. Rev to 3500 rpm and dump the clutch as you floor it. that was with the 265 R 60 15's. You will seriously smell burning clutch if you baby it.

I know what Tepot is talking about.He wants to let the clutch out normally and then floor the car as it just starts moving.He's not talking about slipping or dumping the clutch.My car will do the same thing,It will just squat and take off and not spin the tires.

I know what Tepot is talking about.He wants to let the clutch out normally and then floor the car as it just starts moving.He's not talking about slipping or dumping the clutch.My car will do the same thing,It will just squat and take off and not spin the tires.
Yeah, well, that's what it's supposed to do!!! :eyerole
;LOL

If you want to break the tires free from a standstill, you gotta snap 'em ("drop the clutch")
If you want to break the tires free from a roll, you gotta have about an instant 600ft/lbs of torque! :D:D (e.g. Twin Turbos)

Exactly what I'm talking about. I want to be able to make a burnout without breaking anything on the car. And like Curtis said, Yes when I try to burnout and I baby it. it smell clutch . ahahah I'm a chicken sh**it !! lolol

I've been talking to a member on private message today and he's selling me his 3.70 ring & pinion. Brand new in the box.

So that should help me make a nice burnout without giving too much hell to my car.

My friend as 355 HP with the ZZ4 with 4.10 gear ratio on a 4 speed and he doesn't have to let go the clutch. it will spin right away just by giving gaz. so 3.70 should help me alot i suppose.

Yeah, well, that's what it's supposed to do!!! :eyerole
;LOL

If you want to break the tires free from a standstill, you gotta snap 'em ("drop the clutch")
If you want to break the tires free from a roll, you gotta have about an instant 600ft/lbs of torque! :D:D (e.g. Twin Turbos)

Hey question. If I drop the clutch. Will it be very hard on the transmission. Are those Transmission very though. Can they take alot of beating. Could a few burnout's while droping the clutch cause the transmission to break?

the only reason why My car won't spin is probably because I'm too affraid to break something.

Yes when I try to burnout and I baby it. it smell clutch . ahahah
Yeah, that's NOT good. :D
Short and Stout said:
he's selling me his 3.70 ring & pinion. Brand new in the box.
That's getting pretty tall. Any more than that and I'd advise staying off the highways unless you want to be redlining at 80mph. :eek :L
This is my handle said:
So that should help me make a nice burnout without giving too much hell to my car.
It'll certainly help!
This is my spout said:
My friend has 355 HP with the ZZ4 with 4.10 gear ratio on a 4 speed and he doesn't have to let go the clutch. it will spin right away just by giving gaz.
With the ZZ4 you can punch it with the 3.08 rear end and light 'em up most of the time. It was a bit tough with the gearing of the TH350, but the taller first gear in the 700R4 made it easier. Having a manual should be a no-brainer. I've always wished I had a manual, but it's cost prohibitive at this point.

BTW...if you're talking about lighting 'em up, you should be more interested in torque numbers (405ft/lbs on the ZZ4) and not HP. HP only matters once you are well on your way. You first need torque to get you moving. ;):cool "Build the torque, the HP will follow." Didn't you learn anything from the video I sent you??? ::SLAP :L

Hey question. If I drop the clutch. Will it be very hard on the transmission.
Well, one could argue it's hard on the entire driveline. However, depending on the friction of your clutch disc, that will take the brunt of it. Anytime you rapidly create a strong movement, that shock is being absorbed by something. Again, mostly your clutch disc, but you're also slamming your u-joints. Would I be overly concerned about it? Nah...you're not driving some Hyundai with cheapy aluminum and steel pieces. The car should handle it OK. Though if you keep pussin' out on your take offs, you will burn up your clutch faster than just letting 'er rip! :D

"...That's getting pretty tall. Any more than that and I'd advise staying off the highways unless you want to be redlining at 80mph..."

I agree. I almost purchased a 4.11 rear (the whole pumpkin) to replace my 3.70... I'm glad I didn't -- I think driving on the highway would have made me insaaaane! :W:eek

I agree. I almost purchased a 4.11 rear (the whole pumpkin) to replace my 3.70... I'm glad I didn't -- I think driving on the highway would have made me insaaaane! :W:eek
May as ask since it'll likely come up...

What kinda RPM's you turnin' at 70mph with the 3.70 rear?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom