Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need advice over manual or automatic trans

C

corvettte

Hello! I'm looking to buy a used C5. Here is my dilema: I always have driven a manual transmission in mustangs I've owned and have always went through a lot of clutches and transmissions! I don't want to experience the same problems if I buy a C5. Should I buy and automatic transmission C5 if I'm conserned about this or is the corvette clutch and tranny better than a mustang gt? I'd love the stick, but don't want to keep burning my pocket book repairing it.
thanks!

Hello! I'm looking to buy a used C5. Here is my dilema: I always have driven a manual transmission in mustangs I've owned and have always went through a lot of clutches and transmissions! I don't want to experience the same problems if I buy a C5. Should I buy and automatic transmission C5 if I'm conserned about this or is the corvette clutch and tranny better than a mustang gt? I'd love the stick, but don't want to keep burning my pocket book repairing it.
thanks!

First and foremost...

:welcome

I've owned GM manual transmission cars and automatics. My C5 was an auto- and a lot of fun. I regularly drove it over 140mph on the 'bahn when I lived overseas.

So... test drive 'em both. It's really about your preference.

You won't be disappointed with either! :thumb

First and foremost...

:welcome

I've owned GM manual transmission cars and automatics. My C5 was an auto- and a lot of fun. I regularly drove it over 140mph on the 'bahn when I lived overseas.

So... test drive 'em both. It's really about your preference.

You won't be disappointed with either! :thumb

Hey Kane, I appreciate that. So if I love a stick in my hot rod and I buy an automatic CORVETTE I won't regret it? I am a pretty much a 'hot rod' type of a driver, it isn't that I am a 'show off' type of driver I just think you want to see my car in action! And i'm on a tight budget and a c5 purchase (which i'm set on 100%) will the automatic cause me less problems or should I just get the stick? thanks for you help!

Well I'll add my welcome here as well.:w

Now I will tell you that I really like my A4 C5. Reading your first post I don't know that I can say that you won't miss shifting, but the car performs well with either one.

manual vs automatic c5 corvette transmission

Thanks Tom, great website btw. I think that I would love the 6 speed but am more afraid of myself more than anything I guess, plus I can't afford fixing the car. Is the automatic transmission more reliable than the 6 speed transmission you think?

Well I'll add my welcome here as well.:w

Now I will tell you that I really like my A4 C5. Reading your first post I don't know that I can say that you won't miss shifting, but the car performs well with either one.

thanks!

Both the auto and manual in a C5 are durable and robust if maintained properly with realistic fluid changes. As in the Mustangs, any transmission or clutch will only last as long as the driver/owner allows in relation to how it is used or abused. If you were burning through clutches and transmissions in a Mustang, and you drive a C5 the same manner that you did the Ford, then you will probably have the same results in a C5. Drivetrain longevity in both vehicles are dependent on how they are used and maintained.

I myself prefer a manual transmission, but an automatic can be a good choice also. If you are going to install an aftermarket loud exhaust, then a 6 spd manual will make more sense. The extra gear ratios allow for the driver to be able to shift around droning noise if he wants to, personally I like the noise but it is nice to have the choice if needed/wanted. I think the extra gear ratios of the manual are well worth getting the manual myself, but the C5 with a well maintaind automatic transmission is a good choice also. Good luck with your choice either way. :)

Welcome! :w

Can't add a lot to the comments others have already made; mine would largely echo theirs. But coming from someone who owns one of each C5 (both a manual and an automatic), I have to say that I prefer driving the manual as well.

One consideration that may be overlooked in the discussion thus far is: what are you looking to get from your C5 'experience?' Do you want to squeeze every ounce of performance from the C5 (manual), or are you content to have a fast-moving cruiser (automatic)? In their respective stock forms, both transmission versions are rated at 345/350 Hp (depending on the model year), but the manual has 25 lb-ft more torque. It's definitely quicker than the automatic.

Tough choice, I find the new cars with the paddle shift an interesting alternative ;)

i10fwy
:beer

Need adviceover manual or automatig

BIG WELCOME ,great site:v GREATER PEOPLE& ADVISE !! MY advise , my 59 C-1 and my left foot LOVED clutchs& flywheels from starting&some one taught me double clutching down shift to 1st gear. 283/220hp ,3speed. When I returned from NAM-70 Ibought a 70 SS396 {402}Velle ,4 spd . Same problem ,I averaged 8ooo to10000 miles per clutch. GM told it was me :ugh :eyerole it was me! . Next was a 69 C-3 cpe AUTOMATIC 350/300hp , turbo 400 problem solved.Next was 74,,T/A 455cid/245hp? ,WITH a TURBO 400 ,3 spd auto also 3:42 R&P ran good, problem solved. IF you buy a C-5 , GO with 4speed auto with 3:15 R&P code RPO G92. I took my C-5 to INJECTION_CONNECTION @HORSHAM,PA .Bought a z-06 3:42 R&P from GM ,& PRO-TORQUE converter!! injection connection warmed over tranny for more firmer shifths. Results 10 hp@tyres.Little more torque,but it SMOKES rear TYRES ! CLUTCH life depends on YOUR DRIVING HABITS !! Of course a Z-06 HARDTOP,:drool: RPO 1YY37 is a real TERROR 6 speed ,go with G92 {3:15}R&P . Buy a book called"CORVETTE BLACK BOOK" or search this site in SPEC s.Also get ACTIVE HANDLING ! RPO {JL4] The ZO-6 is a factory RACE CAR. VETTE build sheet is on inside of glove box door. IF you got the cash go for a C-6 withRPO MXO 6 spd auto,RPO Z51performance package is a must!GOOD luck:happyanim: :welcome:patwhat state do you live in?

f you tend to go through clutches on other cars, you'll go through them in a Vette. It's about technique. The tech may be correct, because 8-10k is a really short life for a clutch. I'm a little tough on clutches too, so I feel your pain.

That said, welcome to CAC.

If you are a stick driver and really like to shift gears, the manual is still the way to go. My wife and I have had 5 Vettes with stick shifts and only one had a problem - slave cylinder failed.

I got 100,000 miles plus out of the clutch in my C4 before it needed changing. I haven't kept any of my C5 or C6 stick shifts long enough to need any routine clutch replacements. I sold my C5 stick to a friend and he's still driving it to work every day and has nearly 100K miles on it and has not worked on the clutch or transmission.

I actually owned a paddle shift auto for a while - my wife loved it. She would put it in Sport mode and let it do all the work. I didn't have a much fun driving it though. It was supposed to be my car. I gave it to her and ordered a stick shift. Paddle shifting it just isn't the same as working the clutch and moving the shift lever. The auto is probably quicker in the 1/4 than a stick unless you practice shifting a lot but I still enjoy the stick more than the auto. Personal preference.

Ultimately, it's your choice but I do not have any concerns about owning a stick shift C5.

Thanks for all of your help on this tough subject. I've decided that I'm going to buy a C5 with a 6 speed trans. I want black with black leather interior and I'm on the prowl for one now under 12 grand. I can't afford a c6 vette, but am overly happy about owning a c5. I love the smooth lines of the body. I'm going to try to drive it sensibly to not tear up clutches or wreck it! I know what American muscle does to my soul though! Thats why I have to buy the 6 speed.

Thanks for all of your help on this tough subject. I've decided that I'm going to buy a C5 with a 6 speed trans. I want black with black leather interior and I'm on the prowl for one now under 12 grand. I can't afford a c6 vette, but am overly happy about owning a c5. I love the smooth lines of the body. I'm going to try to drive it sensibly to not tear up clutches or wreck it! I know what American muscle does to my soul though! Thats why I have to buy the 6 speed.

Good choice! As mentioned earlier both are good transmissions it come down to what you prefer.With the MN6 manual you get the 3:42 gears which in itself is a performance boost. Whereas with the auto you have either the stock 2:73 rear or optional 3:15 performance rear end if the previous owner went that route.

Ive seen several A4 auto owners go the 3:42 rear end swap route, and that can be a bit costly. Best of luck with your purchase and welcome to the CAC. Ken

Confused

The questions about reliability and on the same page note that one likes to drive "hot rod style" with the additional comment that I need to watch my finances is interesting, humorous and confusing at the same time. Maybe I'm giving away the fact that I am a "senior citizen," but if you're short on funds, you change your ways or get into credit problems. Simple? You cannot have it all...all the time... unless you are independently wealthy. I apologize up front: If you drive like you think you are a racer and go through trannys and clutches in a heartbeat, you need to take a course in "how to drive a stick properly." Since you indicated that you are going to get a 6 spd, I would suggest you search the various Corvette Forums for information regarding their potential problems like sticking clutch pedal; leaky m/c or slave cylinder; bleeding the clutch; etc. I've owned Saleen Mustangs and their clutches and trannys are, in my opinion, less prone to the problems that the Vette has (I own an '04 6 spd and I prefer to deal with the problems 'cause I love the look and feel of the vette over the Mustang-it comes down to money and some mechanical ability to minimize costs).

6 speed follow up and first race in it vs a 599gtb

Hi! So you guys may want to know I bought an 02' 6 speed millinium yellow vette. I love it! I actually feel the transmission and clutch are much more firm and precise than a mustang. I drive the car sensibly, but when i do get on her I click right into the gears and haven't grinded anything yet. I think it is the most awesome machine and I made an excellent selection with the 6 speed. The only thing I do notice is the sticky clutch pedal! Because of the stickyness I just shift easy. Is there a solution for that?

-Today I'm going to modify the air duct slightly to allow for more air. Other than that she is all stock and sounds beautiful!!! I see the reason people love these cars, they are the best. I actually had a ferrari 599gtb pull up to me the other day. He was terrorizing my back end begging for a race. I slowed down and put it in first going about 15 mph. He pulled up next to me and we nailed it together. I PULLED ON HIM!! I shifted into second and remained in the lead before i slowed down.. Man, that felt so good!!! So now me and the 599 are going about 50mph side by side and decide to race again. This time I was in 2nd gear, we nailed it at the same time. He very slightly pulled away from me, but not by much, i mean only about a cars length until we got to about 110mph and then i backed off. What a great race. It was the warm welcome to me from my corvette. Thank you.

Jeff

Hi! So you guys may want to know I bought an 02' 6 speed millinium yellow vette. I love it! I actually feel the transmission and clutch are much more firm and precise than a mustang. I drive the car sensibly, but when i do get on her I click right into the gears and haven't grinded anything yet. I think it is the most awesome machine and I made an excellent selection with the 6 speed. The only thing I do notice is the sticky clutch pedal! Because of the stickyness I just shift easy. Is there a solution for that?

-
Jeff

Check your clutch fluid. If it is "black," you need to change it out. Do a search on this forum and on the Corvette Forum for the procedure. It is quite easy. Let me know if you cannot find the source and I'll walk you through it.

Check your clutch fluid. If it is "black," you need to change it out. Do a search on this forum and on the Corvette Forum for the procedure. It is quite easy. Let me know if you cannot find the source and I'll walk you through it.

Thanks DrNavyRet. That is an excellent tip and I will act on it right away. I'll keep you posted on the results!

Jeff

Corvettte's next ride

(as the Rocky theme plays in the background)...Jeff is seen trading his C5 for a 599GTB lol!!! Just giving ya a hard time man! Congrats on the run ya had :cool!:

I to am debating between a 6 speed and an automatic. I enjoyed reading all the posts, very informative!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom