Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Numbers matching engine or not?

Do you have your original numbers matching engine?

• Yep, the beast is under the hood, where it belongs

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • I have that piece of history stored while some bogus engine powers the vette

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Numbers matching? When I bought the car it had already been replaced

Votes: 35 25.4%

• Total voters

69_Dream

Seeing as how I'm thinking about removing my original engine and dropping in a crate engine, I was just curious to see how many of you have done this type of this.

I'm probably going to have to do a rebuild on it relatively soon so it's one of those "While I'm at it"s. It's kind of a "Preserve the investment thing" but I'd hate to feel like this wonderful 427 is just sittin there, while I have some junk under the hood... any of that make sense? ;shrug

Of course, I'm also interested in benefits and/or forseeable problems with doing something like this ;)

Sly

Matching #'s in all three of my Vettes. If you do decide to go the crate engine route, just pull the original and store it away. It will help the value on down the road.

tom...

My LT-1 numbers match. I am also thinking about putting in a 430CI small block.

My small block 300 HP engine is the original.

If you are going to drop in a crate store the original and make sure the engine goes with the car if you ever sell it. It increases the value but more importantly it is irreplacable. Once it becomes seperated from the car it is impossible to reunite. Just ask anyone with a NOM car.

i would love to keep the "beast" under the hood, but really my cars engine is more like a puppy ( it gets me where im going but not winning any races). When i get the money i want to drop in a stoker small block.

hi all, nothing on my car matches. that's fine i enjoy making the vette a reflection of my personal tastes . half the fun is making changes .

I am eventually going to pull my original engine,store it in the garage and install the 330hp crate engine GM offers. It's cheaper in the long run than rebuilding what I have now. I'm not to concerned about the 'numbers matching' deal on my 81. I didn't buy my car with investment or reselling on my mind. It's going to be in my garage until I kick the bucket. Thats my 2 cents!

Dave

Everything matches on the 84 and 81. Everything but the actual engine block itself matches on the 68. The nincompoop we bought it from scared the original block. Bought a 350 block and took all the components off the 327 INSTEAD OF JUST SLEEVING THE 327!!! :mad :( :eek :hb

So we are forever on the lookout for one.

All three of my cars have the original engines. If I was so inclined, I would put a crate engine in my '81, because of the obvious performance issues. But I would never even THINK about changing engines in my '71 LT-1 or my '66 L-79. That's the single biggest reason I bought either car- to have those particular engines in a Vette. Two of the best ever (at least small blocks) Vette engines ever produced! Why would I tamper with near perfection?
Dick

It's great to hear a lot of vette owners are doing what they should, driving them! :Steer

It becomes a little sad when 50% of these cars become trailer queens. By this crowd, doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

I love my car, and I love that rat motor. I just feel that I'm too careful driving it when I do take it out and enjoy it. Seems to me that if I stored the engine away and put a crate motor in, I wouldn't feel so bad driving it more than 10 miles :cry ...maybe I'll at least get the heads redone so they can run on 91 octane.

I always think of my car as a driveable work of art. You can enjoy the hell out of it while it appreciates in value. Win win! Good to know so many of you feel the same way.

Sly

Sly:
Dunno about your budget? ... why not put the OE 427 aside for freshening-restoration ... drop in a low-octane "truck" crate 454 ... it'll have plenty of grunt ... drive it as much & as sporty as you wish. Here’s a current list of GM Goodwrench 454 from Sallee ... just a guide ... they’re all NEW (not rebuilt) ... w/ GM 3yr/50K warranty for under $4300. Your local dealer may do better?

GM 88890529 Stock Engine Goodwrench, 7.4L 454ci V8 Gas Engine - 7.4 Liter 454 V8, 1974-93 Universal Engine, Generation 6 (GEN 6). Requires install kits for 1990 and earlier models. BBC crate engine. [Old P/N 12531454] -- $3,895.00

GM 88890530 Stock Engine Goodwrench, 7.4L 454ci V8 Gas Engine - 7.4 Liter 454 V8, 1994-95 pickups and vans. BBC crate engine. [Old P/N 12530454] -- $3,895.00

GM 88890531 Stock Engine Goodwrench, 7.4L 454ci V8 Gas Engine - 7.4 Liter 454 V8, 1996-97 (Vortec)(Roller Cam). BBC crate engine. [Old P/N 12534454] -- $3,895.00

GM 88890532 Stock Engine Goodwrench, 7.4L 454ci V8 Gas Engine - 7.4 Liter 454 V8, BBC crate engine. [Old P/N 12457454] -- $4,295.00

JACK:gap

My car is matching #'s even though the motor is not stock anymore.

My car came without a motor but I will be doing a full restoration so that means the motor will be restored as well.
I will be driving the **** out of this car its not going to be a trailer queen, but if you plan on doing some hard driving Id just find a good 427 block to install. abuse it and put your original one away in the basement or in the corner of the garage and beat on the spare that way incase you do destroy it your only out a about a grand and not your irreplaceable block

just my thoughts

johnny

I'm curious, How many of those that pulled the original engine out have replaced because of the need for more power. Especially the mid and late C3's. I couldn't stand the lack of power in my 79. Yes the engine was tired, But a Corvette with a V8 should at least be able to get out of it's own way.

So, equally running, would my or any other basic C3 coupe be worth more with the original engine, or, as in my case, a mild 383?

Does it really matter. Sure, a 69 4spd roadster all numbers matching will be worth more. But I guess were also equating production numbers. A 79, the year the most Vettes were produced, (I think), Does it really matter if the orginal engine is under the hood?

-Steve
http://www.cnw.com/~hotrod/vette/VettePhotos.htm

-

Take your original 427 out and store it for future restoration and drop in a 454 crate motor. That is what I would do in you situation.

:beer

Pulled the original L48 out of our 1980 and dropped in the 330 HP crate engine Burglar mentioned in his post. The original engine ran fine but at 190 HP it's a bit weak. The original doesn't take up much room so is stored away for the future.

The 1963 is completely numbers matching and we intend to have it NCRS Flight judged next year. Previous owner had achieved Top Flight with it but that recognition is not transferable.

Our problem is we're having too much fun driving the 63 to finish the 80 so it sits in it's corner of the garage. I don't have the unlimited energy level of 69myway.

Eugene

I have upgraded this piece everytime more HP was available. In 1964, new 1964 375HP FI heads and camshaft. In 1970 new crate 370HP LT1 350CI engine under the 62`s injection. The original correct FI RF 327CI 360HP engine with only 25,000 miles on it is under the bench stored away. :cool :bar :m

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom