Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Numbers matching engine or not?

Do you have your original numbers matching engine?

• Yep, the beast is under the hood, where it belongs

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • I have that piece of history stored while some bogus engine powers the vette

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Numbers matching? When I bought the car it had already been replaced

Votes: 35 25.4%

• Total voters
I really am no expert, but I wouldn't worry about a '79 and numbers matching anything. Great cars, tons of fun (I own one) but not valuable.
I would swap the L-48 in a minute (I did).
I say, go have fun, when all done, use the '79 as a down payment for a '69 - 71.

"I am no expert, I don't know S__T!

A stranger was seated next to Little Johnny on the plane when
the the stranger turned to the Little Johnny and said, "Let's talk.
I've heard that flights will go quicker if you strike up a
conversation with your fellow passenger."

Little Johnny, who had just opened his book, closed it slowly,
and said to the stranger, "What would you like to discuss?" "Oh, I
don't know," ! said the stranger. "How about nuclear power?"

"OK," said Little Johnny. "That could be an interesting topic.
But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all
eat grass. The same stuff. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow
turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass.
Why do you suppose that is?"

"Jeez," said! the stranger. "I have no idea."
"Well, then," said Little Johnny, "How is it that you feel qualified to
discuss nuclear power when you don't know ****?"

Do what you want, But make sure you keep the original motor. That way if you ever sell or want to return it to original you have the correct motor.

YEP, MAYBE YOU'LL GET $5,000.00 vs. 5,750.00.
And I mean, what do I know?
A 79 is just a "no value" vehicle, as far as I know. There are a ton of them for sale.
They are cheaper than a used Chevy S-10. AND THAT MAKES ME MAD, but that is the way it seems to be.

Who knows, in a few years? Anything can happen. But I thought the 74's would increase in value someday. And I thought THAT back in 1990.. still waiting.
I still say, forget it, go have fun, do what you want with the car, and forget about it.

I am like robin74
hi all, nothing on my car matches. that's fine i enjoy making the vette a reflection of my personal tastes . half the fun is making changes .
the parts run the gamut from chev truck (Block, headlights)
to Mustang(Tremec TKO)
It is a one of a kind.
If I had a rare or more valuable year I would probably store the parts I change out, but a 76 does not get any respect I can't even find a diecast model of it :eyerole

That's a tough decision, I took 2 '70 LS5 coupes and made 1 into a LS6, since the factory didn't do it. The other into a LS7 for the same reason. Now I have an original low mile '71 LS6, it's because of this motor that I love driving this car, HOWEVER it is because of the value of this engine that I trailer the car long distances to shows and drive it occassionally! Good luck, I know your dilema!

The bad news is just that, a dilemma. :confused I hate being torn between driving this great car and thinking of replacing and storing the engine.

Decisions, decisions. I'm pretty sure there are worse things in life to have to worry about.

The good news is the fact that this car is far from finished. In fact, as we speak, I've been cursing at fiberglass for a week while it just sits there. Since it needs some tlc, this is mostly something that I think about when I'm driving around, not when I'm working on it. Seems like I do more of the latter.

Again, labour of love. :D

Sly

early shark said:
That's a tough decision, I took 2 '70 LS5 coupes and made 1 into a LS6, since the factory didn't do it. The other into a LS7 for the same reason. Now I have an original low mile '71 LS6, it's because of this motor that I love driving this car, HOWEVER it is because of the value of this engine that I trailer the car long distances to shows and drive it occassionally! Good luck, I know your dilema!
With the LS7 you could go into the poor house at 7 miles to the gallon and !00+ gas. I ran my 68 L88 car up to the 25,000 mile mark into 1973 until the Jews kicked the s--- out of the arabs again in 73. It was the only car that I ever actually watched the gas guage move. After many 300 mile high speed ski trips to Boyne Mountain the engine was ready to come out any way. The bore was bad, and the rod bearing shells were close to spinning. Well we blue printed the whole engine with new 12.5 pistons at +30 in 1973, but we never put it back in and the car just sets there with the engine near by. :crazy I think I`ll do something about it tomorrow, if tomorrow ever comes.;LOL :m
5583L88s-med.jpg

Wallyknoch: Great story and an awsome car ('68 L88), thats why I have the LS6 now, can run on today's cruddy fuel just fine, no worries. It is a great big block for the current times!

Wally that is a cool car. I hope someday you get it back on the road to show the boys how it was done in 68.

:beer

Original engine in mine, although I'm beginning to wish I had a totally non-original car so I could do whatever I want with it...
I dunno how I ever got sucked into the whole "originality thing", but I'd like to preserve my engine...so one day it will get yanked and replaced with a ZZ4.

I've got matching casting #s in my '69 coupe down to the distributor. However, the engine upon a rebuild was deck milled and lost the stamping (not my doing). I'm sure it's a common occurance when at the time the owner is not concerned about matching numbers. Does this take away most of the benefit of matching #s? Will a magnuflux make the old stamping visible? I think I can still detect some part of the stamp.

Sounds like you have something worth saving...I would save it a drop a 572 in there...HE HE

I have a 77 that had a 402...til I blew it up...Now it's in the shop getting a 454 installed...77's aren't worth a crap anyway. I wish I had to make that decision. Cause that seems to be a beauty that you own.

Good Luck

I've pulled my motor and stored it for resale value....meanwhile I've putting in a Fastburn ZZ4 so I'll have the performance to blow the doors off all the modern mustangs and camaros out there!! *evil grin* :cool

Good Idea Crickett. ALL Corvettes are great vehicles in their own ways. I don't think this board was meant to be a place to bash certain years cause they weren't as powerful as the one before them. They all have a certain magnetism to them.

:bar

What is going to help you really truly enjoy your car more? Driving around with the words "I've got a numbers matching Corvette!" or actually being able to do what you want with your car? What really gives you more joy? (This would be an easier argument if you only had a 327ci or a later C3 with less than 200hp)

Do you ever plan on selling your car? Really...do you? For every buyer that wants a "numbers matching" car AND is willing to pay a perceived premium, there are 25 others that don't care and will take what you are offering.

If you are really concerned with numbers matching but want the fun factor, do what most everyone else does. Take out the original engine and properly store it, then put in what you want. With that you'll have the best of both worlds.

I didn't care about numbers matching because I knew I was never going to sell my car. It's my car, it's my money. I am going to make it how I want it. Anyways, right now, my car is worth more (realistic or perceived) than just about ANY numbers matching 1980 vette.

The short of this story is:
...You are no less of a vette owner if your car is numbers matching or not. You are still part of the family regardless. Do you think 69MyWay's "Killer" is any less an awesome Corvette because it's not numbers matching???

Your character, not your car, determines your pedigree.

Numbers don't match and I could care less. I wouldn't want the original engine anyway. My engine is the correct year but completely redone with all performance goodies.

Yup, numbers matching....and I wouldn't want anything but the original.:)
Let's face it, we all have different reasons for what we have or want in our rides!

101_0104.jpg

Matching Numbers

:beer
I agree, matching numbers don't mean much to me since it's not a show car. Also I doubt if you ever sell it anyone would want the original engine. What if you have to move and sell your house, lots of junk to move or dispose of.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom