Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Numbers matching engine or not?

Do you have your original numbers matching engine?

• Yep, the beast is under the hood, where it belongs

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • I have that piece of history stored while some bogus engine powers the vette

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Numbers matching? When I bought the car it had already been replaced

Votes: 35 25.4%

• Total voters
Both cars got the original motors in them. Im a bit nervous with the 71 so it doesnt get driven that hard....Occasionally though on occasion I let it rip!!!:lou

Anthony

Numbers

For me I wanted a numbers matching car, just recently went to the trouble and cost( don't ask, you don't want to know) of buying and installing a restored numbers and date matching smog system from Bill Hodel, even the tower clamps have the correct date on them. Now all I need is an altinator!
alltide

I have matching everything. I've had mine for 33 years. I never wanted to Bubba it.I would like to have the grunt of a big block as long as it looked stock. I know I'll never mickey my car. But, I would like to see how it feels.

Mine's #'s matching. When I bought it, that wasn't a mandatory thing, but a nice-to-have thing. It just turned out that it is matching. I plan on keeping it all original, including rebuilding the engine to stock specs (except for a .010 over bore if needed). But, I also plan on driving it as much as I can, or as much as the wallet can afford (11:1 compression= $$$ gas).

I was in the same mindset as L46. When I bought it, it wasn't a huge issue, but important none the less. However, it was only the 200hp standard engine.

Now, since I dropped a valve in it, the car's gotten a 383 motor. The original will get refreshed and stored while I enjoy the power and torque of the stroker.

427? Pull it, stash it, and drop in a fun runner that you can enjoy, stomp on, redline and 'fuhgeddaboutit'...;)

Rick
:w

When I bought mine it was very important to me that it was a "numbers match" and part of the reason I paid as much as I did at the time, although that doesn't seem like all that much now. I wouldn't have wanted a C3 unless it was a 427, or an LT-1. But hey, what did I know? I've seen some REALLY nice cars in this forum that have 383's, 502's etc, and they are absolutely beautiful, and you can tell their owners love to drive them.....and drive them hard. If I had to do it all over again (and maybe I will), I'd certainly do things differently. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my car, but I just don't drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

101_0109.jpg

I think my engine and tranny are #matching but they changed every thing else! So it's 572 time! I have a 74 long block for cheap, with an Edelbrock crossram and 2 390 cfm 4bl for a little more!

Al

#'s match

All depends on what you want. Don't be convinced that just because the numbers match it is original. Metal can be easily manipulated.
Anyway , my original sits in the cornor of the garage and a 383 now gives me a lot more fun.

My opinion would be to freshen up the original motor. But I'm picky like that. I can't deal with color changes, non-matching #'s, etc. I don't know why, I guess I'm a little bit "Howard Hughes" when it comes to that stuff. I had a very beautiful 1969 conv., but the color was wrong, and it drove me insane. My car has the original #'s matching motor. If I decided to pull it out, I'd definately save it though for resale value. If I had your car, I'd just go through that motor, and do a minor overhaul, bearings, rings, heads, etc. You have a rare car, I'd keep it all intact.

My '75 had 17,000 miles when I bought it 5 years ago, the main reason I chose it. I pulled the #s matching engine, stored it and put in a new 350/330crate and couldn't be happier. The original engine will never go back in as long as I'm around and it will always be in my way, but if I ever need to sell the car it will probably add some value. My opinion is, depending on the connections you have, you probably can't rebuild your big block cheaper than a crate big block. Pull the original and store it, since your year Vette is more valuable with the original engine. Put a crate engine in it and you can beat on it with out worrying about blowing the #s match value of the car.

I have a 1980 that WAS a #'s matching original L48 with a 4 speed. Except for the original block, heads, and wheels I can restore the car to bone stock.:rotfl

I've dropped a ZZ4 crate motor with a 1990-91 TPI on it. I've beefed up the drivetrain, rear, half shafts, etc...

This 1980 is much more fun this way than it ever was stock.

Get a ZZ502 crate motor and wrap your 427 for the next owner. You can actually drive the car without guilt.:L

8886Brandywine_6.jpg

8886ZZ4_TPI_2.JPG

L81 going back in under the hood

I had a slave motor under the hood to help me get rid of this drag strip fever I had. After witnessing a Cobra (a South-African kit Version that still more pricey than a new C6) hit the left lane wall at the 1/4 mile, I puckered-up smaller than a gnat, and I decided that I didn't want to take the chance in wrecking my car.

The engine block, rods, pistons, and crankshaft are back now, and I am waiting for other components, but the engine will be coming together.

GerryLP:cool

Yet another old post revived again and ...
yes it is numbers matching ...
I had never really looked but a few days ago some of "the guys" were talking about their numbers matching cars and I had to check mine to satisfy my curiosity.
Funny, it still drives the same knowing that .

The block, crank, rods are # matching... the rest of the engine has been rebuilt with aftermarket stuff. I kept the intake and exhaust manifolds.

If I had the money I'd remove the original engine and transmission for safe keeping and install a ZZ430 with a 5-speed.

Well, see my post about checking #s, but I've found that I have the original engine and heads. The carb and alternator are not. I haven't chekcked the distributor or transmission. Oh, the code on the diff checks out also. I know a 79 will never be worth the money that an earlier one will, and hope to someday put the engine on a stand and put in a 383 5 spd combo.

About everything in my 70 vert is numbers matching except the block. Seem at about 5 years old it bit the dust and the owner took it back to the dealer and they put a new short block in it. As someone said, once they get seperated you can never get em back together again. So this is good in a way, now I don't mind cranking it to 6000 rpm in a couple gears. and nothing sounds better than a small block chevy when she's just screaming!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom