Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Progress Pics 71 Convertible

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
The car is making progress. I'm writing this post to document the paint progress. 2 weeks down 6 weeks to go.

The body was in fantastic shape under the paint. No previous repairs or wreck damage. The only items of any significance were the two holes on the rear quarter panels where the bumpers bolt and a small bonding area in the rear drivers side under the bumper that had just separated. Close ups of the repairs are included below.

They did strip the car with chemicals. They say they've done it this way for over 8 years and none of the cars have come back; they do some really high dollar C2 restorations. The first round of primer goes on Monday. They're using a polyester primer.

Here is the first round...

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-01.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-05.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-06.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-07.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-08.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-09.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-10.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-11.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-12.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-13.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-14.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-15.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-16.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-17.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-18.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint-19.jpg

Lookin' good! I hope your going to keep the car Steel Cities Gray - it's one of my favorite colors.

-John

Lookin' good! I hope your going to keep the car Steel Cities Gray - it's one of my favorite colors.

-John

John,

The Steel Cities Gray that was on there was a repaint of the original color and had too much green tint in it when compared to original cars.

I liked the color when I first bought the car but it kind of lost it's appeal over the last couple of years. I think the fact the the paint that was on it wasn't correct kind of ruined it for me. I've seen some original cars and the color is much more appealing when done right. My wife doesn't like the SCG so we decided to go a little wild.

It's going to be Kandy Blue Metalic. I figured I'd paint it for me and enjoy it. Making he wife happy doesn't hurt either.

Whiplash

It's going to be Kandy Blue Metalic. I figured I'd paint it for me and enjoy it. Making he wife happy doesn't hurt either.

Whiplash

Nothing wrong with Kandy Blue Metalic. I bet it'll look fantastic when it's done. I'll be looking forward to the pictures, but I wish I could see it in person. Best of luck -John

What was the original color ?

What was the original color ?

The original color was Steel Cities Gray. The car was a one owner when I bought it. He repainted it sometime several years before I got it and he kept it the original color. However, the paint wasn't sprayed very well, the flakes were clumpy, there were a lot of runs in it, there was dirt/debris in the clear coat, and the color had too much Green tint in it. All that said it needed to be repainted.

I really like that L88 hood..What engine is hiding under there? and where did you buy your hood..
Keep the pictures coming..

I really like that L88 hood..What engine is hiding under there? and where did you buy your hood..
Keep the pictures coming..

Thanks. The hood was what started this all. My wife bought it for me last Christmas. I think it was from Mid America. I wanted an L88 hood so I could upgrade the engine and have enough room to fit a higher intake manifold. When I found out how much it was going to cost to paint the car I decided to do a body off first.

The motor came from Year One. It's a 350 bored 30 over. It dyno's on an engine dyno (less accessories etc.) at 416HP and I think 425 ft lbs of torque. I could be off a little I don't have the sheet in front of me. The motor is actually made by a company in Texas.

Here's a few pics of the motor...

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-037.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-040.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-050.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-051.jpg

A little taste of color

The car is moving along. Here's a few of the latest pics of the color sprayed on the back of the doors. The digital camera really doesn't do the color justice. It's darker than it comes out here. The paint is really sticky wet looking like a freshly licked lollipop. In the direct sun the metalic flake jumps out at you and in shadows the paint turns almost dark purple.

If you're interested in all my pics go here http://mysite.verizon.net/whiplash71 othewise here are the samples.

Whiplash

1971%20corvette%20paint%20iv-08.jpg

1971%20corvette%20paint%20iv-09.jpg

1971%20corvette%20paint%20iv-12.jpg

1971%20corvette%20paint%20iv-13.jpg

Damn, that looks nice - lots of metalic for sure!

It looks great so far! i too like the L88 hood :)

Thanks! I can't wait to see the paint on the hood itself. I was going to do stripes but this paint changes so much with each turn or curve I'm thinking it will highlite the curves of the hood just fine all by itself.

I have to force myself not to stop at the shop every day.

Go ahead and stop......we need more pictures anyway!

(looking good)

Go ahead and stop......we need more pictures anyway!

(looking good)

I think if we pull the body off your 68 this weekend we'll have a lot more pictures to share! I'm free on Saturday. I bet we could get a bunch more people to show up and help you get that resto started.
:lou

That's going to be a show stopper when she's done. Wow!

I think if we pull the body off your 68 this weekend we'll have a lot more pictures to share! I'm free on Saturday. I bet we could get a bunch more people to show up and help you get that resto started.
:lou

Gather them up and don't forget your checkbook! I'm outta checks so I must be outta money!

Come on Texas Lotto!

Ah come on now. We won't charge you for helping pull the body ;) I've got my lotto tickets too!

Not the body pull expense I'm worried about.....all that other stuff you need after it's off, then all the stuff you want, and then all the stuff guys like you talk me into!

Scary!

They sprayed the body and doors the last two days. Here are some progress pictures.

The Silver base coat was sprayed first followed by the Kandy Blue. The blue is even nicer than the pictures show. It was an overcast day and in the shade the color tends to look more purple.

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-03-1_edited.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-02-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-06-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-05-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-07-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-12-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-09-1.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Paint%20V-10-1.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom