Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Public apology to person who told me Fram was junk

Black Bart said:
I find it hard to believe that so many did not know that Fram Filters are a P.O.S.
This has been common knowledge for years.
Some of you may find this interesting. http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=all&vc=1&nt=7

Interesting thread indeed although it didn't address something my dealer told me. I was told to use only Nisson oil filters in my 350Z because other filters let dirty oil drain back into the engine when you shut down. Is this true and if not what other brand filter doesn't allow back flow?

Glide said:
Interesting thread indeed although it didn't address something my dealer told me. I was told to use only Nisson oil filters in my 350Z because other filters let dirty oil drain back into the engine when you shut down. Is this true and if not what other brand filter doesn't allow back flow?

The use of an anti-drainback valve is determined by the vehicles engine manufacturer not the filter manufacturer. This is not an optional feature. Either the specific engine requires one or it does not. Always use the respective filter manufacturers part number for the application. Many filter numbers will spin on and fit, however there are major internal differences such as ant-drainback, bypass pressure settings, overall flow, and sealing characteristics.

In addition, an OE dealer cannot require use of their filter to maintain the vehicles warranty unless they provide the filter(s) free of charge. (Look up the Magnuson-Moss act of 1975)

On my Vehicles I use "ONLY" AC or Purolator, "Period" end of story!!!!:upthumbs

Better to spend $12-15 now,than $1000's later.

ABSOLUTELY. We spend $6-8 a quart on good oil (synthetic). Why would anyone risk engine damage to save a few dollars on a risky filter??? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I became aware of this oil filter study a few years back. In the early study, WIX -made and Purolator filters were the good ones. It appears that WIX has lowered their standards. I use Purolator exclusively.

To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, "Strive for perfection and you will attain excellence."

I'm watching for this guy's newest findings in my quest for perfection.

As a member of the automotive aftermarket parts business for 30 years, FRAM is still #1 when it comes to a poor quality oil filter.

Cut one open sometime... you wouldn't put one on a lawn mower, let alone a Vette.
Woohoo! Congratulations go out to McSnagg for successfully resurrecting a 3 year old thread!
Hahaha...:boogie
:w

Glide said:
Most filters will have a anti drain back valve.
When you decide what brand you want to use ask then if it has ADBV their book Will tell them.
I bought a new John Deere in 1985 the filter was priced beyond outrageous.
The dealer told me that if I used a different filter I would ruin the engine.
I have been using Motorcraft filter on it for 21 years and have done nothing to it yet. Still runs like new.
Your dealer is just trying to sell you his overpriced filter.

Woohoo! Congratulations go out to McSnagg for successfully resurrecting a 3 year old thread!
Hahaha...:boogie
:w

Sorry about the resurrection...I just couldn't believe the number of FRAM users there are. Goes to show how marketing can overcome quality.

Maybe I should start a new thread about K & N air filters...that'll light up the board!

Best regards :w

Maybe I should start a new thread about K & N air filters...that'll light up the board!
And Spark Plugs! Can't forget about them!
:joke:BDH

And Spark Plugs! Can't forget about them!
:joke:BDH
YEA or I could sfart a thread about how MOBIL-1 in some weights has changed to a group 3 oil and they still are charging the high price for a group-4 synthetic..
That would really shake up those who are blindly loyal to Mobil. :boogie

YEA or I could sfart a thread about how MOBIL-1 in some weights has changed to a group 3 oil and they still are charging the high price for a group-4 synthetic..
That would really shake up those who are blindly loyal to Mobil. :boogie
:boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :beer

Well this is what this forum is all about, I have used FRAM fliters for years thinking that they were a quality product, It is refreshing to hear what is works and what doesnt, It would be great to hear about all the other "consumables" we use and trust that are actually inferior products - so as long as we are not liable for what we post then please, let me hear about air filters, spark plugs, fuel filters, suspension kits and weather stripping. That is why we have this great tool, to inform each other. JMO!
Tom

let me hear about air filters, spark plugs, fuel filters, suspension kits and weather stripping. That is why we have this great tool, to inform each other. JMO!
Use the advanced search section above and ye shall find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bart
That would really shake up those who are blindly loyal to Mobil.

What's this about Mobil 1 oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bart
That would really shake up those who are blindly loyal to Mobil.

What's this about Mobil 1 oil?
If you are not up to speed on oil then you need to learn the difference between group 3-4-5 oil.
Mobil filed suit several years ago against Castrol for calling their grp-3 Syntec a full synthetic oil. Well guess who is now selling a grp-3 oil at high prices and calling it full synthetic.
Now you need to understand that in the USA this is legal only in Europe must it be a true synthetic to call it synthetic.
In the USA the consumer needs to be a informed buyer.
Grp-3 is good oil but if I'm going to pay a grp-5 price then I'm going to make sure that I get a grp-5 oil.
This is why so many are P***ed at MOBIL they are miss leading the public with all the ad hype and selling a grp-3 oil at grp-5 price.
Here is a link for you to read.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=749606&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

Thanks for the info on the oil, frankly i've always used Castrol 10w-40 in all my cars and never (knock-on-wood) ended up with a smoker or a knocker.

But back to FRAM .... yesterday I was reading the special engine edition of Hot Rod magazine dedicated to only engine building, and there on a parts call out for a high performance engine build was a FRAM PH-25!
If FRAM is so bad why would these guys be putting them in High HP engines?
I guess the almighty advertising $$ wins over quality?
or are we missing something here?

Tom

Yep, the advertising dollar is the almighty dollar. They sure don't make money off the subscriptions.:L

It has always been my belief that these auto mags and TV shows have stuff donated to them.
While typing this I'm watching extreme 4x4 and they are putting a WARN winch on a truck.
It probably cost 200 bucks to manufacture that winch and they got their name mentioned on national TV.
They could not buy air time for that amount of money.
Did you ever watch Two Guy's Garage they are always pushing products.
While working on the truck they showed the lift with the big MATCO name on it and when they used a cutoff saw they did a closeup shot of it with the MATCO name on it. Good ad for MATCO Tools.
All those parts on those engine builds are donated parts.

You really have to be careful about accepting verbatim what Magazines manufacturers and TV shows say about products. Even Consumer Reports Mag must be read with an open mind, they used to knock Vettes,Camaros and Firebirds for not enough trunk space??
Two Guys Garage endorsed the Tornado fuel supercharger a couple of years ago. That's the product you install after the air filter to Atomize the fuel air mixture. Yeah Right! Gives 5mpg tons of power on and on.:mad
I used to use Fram and then I took one apart they even tie the filter pleats together with twine.
The answer as someone mentioned is Money or free parts. Fram has a great idea with the rough grip to make it easy to remove and install, but that's it.
AC, Mobile 1, Wix, Amsoil, K&N ( what I have been using lately)you cannot go wrong....until they cheap out and change their products. I don't believe the HYPE with their Air Filters though, I don't believe they can filter well and flow so great at the same time.
Barrier

I don't believe the HYPE with their Air Filters though, I don't believe they can filter well and flow so great at the same time.
Barrier

Now thats hitting the nail on the head!

While you hear so much talk about increased flow equating to increased performance, which is generally all true, the function of any filter is to protect the engine. A tablespoon of dirt getting past an air filter can easily trash an engine.

In regard to K&N air filters, they are great filters when new in both filtering capability and flow characteristics, however, as they age and get "washed" a few times, their ability to trap dirt gradually decreases to the point where larger dirt particles begin to get past the filter media. A quality paper element may not flow as much air, but at least the potential to contribute to an engines untimely death is greatly reduced.

The importance of a air filter may be a little exaggerated.
I have a friend who built a custom car 35 years ago. He has driven it all over the United States to car shows with four carburetor's with velocity stacks on it and NO air filters.
It is powered with a 383 Mopar and it now has 273,000 miles on it and it still don't burn oil.
I'm I suggesting that you should not use an air filter ABSOLUTELY NOT but I think this proves that since we drive on paved road nowadays instead of gravel the air breather is not as important as it once was.
How many will keep the same car for 300,000 miles.
I have a K&N on my vette and sleep well at night!! As hard as I drive it the engine will need rebuilt from abuse long before the K&N kills it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom