Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question on shocks and a coolant leak..

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
Hi,
I have two more questions.....
1.) What shocks do you guys recommend for front and rear replacement? I was told NOT to get heavy duty shocks. I just want something for cruising.

2.) While removing the old shocks and doing some other stuff, I noticed a coolant leak coming from what looks like a sensor located on the lower back-left side of the block, right around the plug wire shield. What is that? Nothing is plugged into it right now, but there is a dangling plug nearby.

Thanks
ladams

I have the yellow Bilstein Sports. I like 'em.

Hi,
2.) While removing the old shocks and doing some other stuff, I noticed a coolant leak coming from what looks like a sensor located on the lower back-left side of the block, right around the plug wire shield. What is that? Nothing is plugged into it right now, but there is a dangling plug nearby.

When you say back left side, do you mean the rear passanger side? If yes, there is a threaded hole there for a sensor plug in the head. Its the same type of threaded hole that is in the drivers side front. Check and make sure the plug in there is tight.

Hi,
I have two more questions.....
1.) What shocks do you guys recommend for front and rear replacement? I was told NOT to get heavy duty shocks. I just want something for cruising.

Thanks
ladams

Bilsteins. KYB's suck.

Driver's side front, temp gauge, pass side rear, aux fan switch.

Bilsteins. KYB's suck.

Driver's side front, temp gauge, pass side rear, aux fan switch.

I like my KYB, what’s wrong with them? They have been on the car for 7 years now no problems.

I noticed a coolant leak coming from what looks like a sensor located on the lower back-left side of the block, right around the plug wire shield. What is that? Nothing is plugged into it right now, but there is a dangling plug nearby.

Thanks
ladams

In the BLOCK, or in the cylinder head?

:beer

That's in the block, not the cylinder head; the only hole in that area that could leak is a freeze plug, which would leak coolant.

That's in the block, not the cylinder head; the only hole in that area that could leak is a freeze plug, which would leak coolant.

Yep. That's a freeze plug.

If you have any wire 'danging' close on an '81, that would be the ox sensor wiring, or the prop valve wiring, or maybe the oil temp/press sender wiring.

The oil temp sender, if you have that option, screws into the bloock right above the oil filter.

Here are some more pics of the leaky plug.

The dangling plug is the oxygen sensor if the colors are tan and purple. Hard to tell. Is there a sensor in the exhaust pipe right there? Is it plugged in?

remove it and replace it with a freeze plug and the leak should be gone.

:w

Thanks

Thank you all so much. I was at a complete loss as to what this thing was. I agreed that it was most likely a frost plug but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it would have an electrical connection in it.
As usual, the members here are awesome!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom